DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Canon lens for the EX3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/141722-canon-lens-ex3.html)

Mark McNamara January 17th, 2009 12:34 AM

Canon lens for the EX3?

Hello,
We are in Haines, Alaska and representing the American Bald Eagle foundation. We have money funded for a project and part of that funding goes for a camera. There is a professional film production co. that will be using their Canon 150-600 5.6f variable prime (1 touch) lens, Model # 10293, with a Century Optics conversion (cinema) bayonet mount. Will this lens work with the EX3?
Thank you,
Mark

Forest Finbow January 17th, 2009 08:41 AM

There is no such thing as a "variable" prime lens. A prime lens is by definition a fixed focal lenght lens.

I assume you're talking about an SLR Canon lens, probably the 150-600 f/5.6 that is a manuel FD lens.

If it is so, the answer I'm afraid is "not for the time being". You can find Nikkon to EX3 adaptators but AFAIK, no FD to EX3 yet.

You could eventualy try multiple step-down rings to succesfully mount the lens, probably going through the mentionned PL mount, a standard B4 2/3" and finaly the optional B4 to EX adaptator (although I'm not even sure you could find the proper adaptators) but surely doing so you would loose focus on infinity and probably be stuck with a couple meters long focus range.

Steve Phillipps January 17th, 2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Finbow (Post 996350)
There is no such thing as a "variable" prime lens. A prime lens is by definition a fixed focal lenght lens.

If it is so, the answer I'm afraid is "not for the time being". You can find Nikkon to EX3 adaptators but AFAIK, no FD to EX3 yet.

Neither of those things is correct. The Canon 150-600 is a "variable prime" in that you can change the focal length but the zoom doesn't hold focus through the range. In the cinema industry that's what it's referred to as.
And as long as it has a Universal mount conversion it'll fit the EX3 fine (either with a direct Universal to EX mount, or via a Universal Nikon mount). You say a cinema mount, do you mean PL, Arii bayonet or BNCR? Any pics to show?
I've had several 150-600s and they are very very good lenses.
Steve

Mark McNamara January 17th, 2009 01:24 PM

Mount

Thanks for responding (my first post!).
Steve, I called Mario (Wildside Productions, Ltd. - Mario Benassi, wildlife filmmaker, producer, director, and cinematographer) and he said his lens is an Arii bayonet mount. It slips in straight, you do not twist. There is a tongue that that catches on a clip. No pics. I hope this helps.
Thanks mark

Steve Phillipps January 17th, 2009 01:41 PM

With Arri bayonet you need to twist, so presumably this is PL (the other Arri standard). The back focus of PL is about the same as Nikon (52mm I think), so if you can get an adapter to put Nikons on the EX3 seems sensible you can put PL on it to. Check with Les Bosher Les Bosher - Camera Engineer, he'll be able to tell you for sure. It's worth double-checking that it's not Universal with an Arri mount on it though, this is how most were converted.
Steve

Derek Reich January 18th, 2009 09:59 AM

Hi, Mark-
I also have been a 'Canon' guy for a long time, and hoped there was going to be a Canon adapter for the EX, since I have lots of lenses. The EOS lenses aren't ever going to work properly, since they do not have an aperture ring to set, so IF an adapter ever comes out, it would most likely be an older FD mount. So I bought the Nikon adapter from Mike Tapa:
Nikon to Sony EX3 adaptor
This adapter works great.... however I have noticed an issue (and welcome input from others) which so far seems like it is going to make super-telephoto dicey at best. The heat waves made the image from my 500mm virtually unusable. I have only done one test, but it was a cold day with snow on the ground.... and this may have contributed to the problem, as the sun was out and possibly the reflective sunlight off the snow made this worse. In any case, the image was so 'gelatinous' that it looked like it was shot underwater. I wonder if the rolling shutter also contributes to this issue. It is a shame if that's the case, as I bought the EX3 specifically for doing work like you intend to, but if the long lenses are going to all look this way (at least outside) then it's a big problem....
I hope to run some more tests this week, as well as head up to Park City as the Sundance Film Fest is going on, and Sony techs and reps are always on hand to answer questions.
If I learn something interesting, I'll be sure to share-
cheers
Derek

Steve Phillipps January 18th, 2009 10:55 AM

Derek,
Obviously this issue is not camera-specific, it's entirely due to the magnification, so there's nothing wrong with the EX3 in that regard.
A 500 on the EX3 is a big lens for sure, but no more magnification than an HJ40 on a Varicam etc., so it is definitely possible to get good shots, but the enviromental factors will have to be borne in mind. Shooting early in the morning helps of course, then overcast days rather than full sun (and with snow, the worst case scenario you described).
This is one of the reasons (camera shake and lack of light being the others) why we should try to get close to the subjects rather put bigger lenses on, it's not really the answer! But I know there are many occasions when getting close is not possible.
Steve

Derek Reich January 18th, 2009 12:44 PM

Hey, Steve
Thanks for the input. I intend to do some more tests this week, and while I didn't think there was an issue with my camera specifically, I wondered about the rolling shutter effect and using a really long lens like this. I have used this same 500mm very successfully on a Betacam, and did not see this issue, however the image magnification is much greater on the EX. Once I get some time (and FCP 6 installed) I will try to post some clips-
cheers
Derek

Mark McNamara January 18th, 2009 01:05 PM

fujinon

Steve and Derek thanks. Film/video of Denver says a Fujinon ACM-21 2/3" adapter will work with the set-up we have available to us. Any feed back on that.
thanks mark

Steve Phillipps January 18th, 2009 01:24 PM

That allows mounting of 2/3" lenses on the EX3, not Arri bayonet or PL.
Steve

Ed Kukla January 18th, 2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 996980)
That allows mounting of 2/3" lenses on the EX3, not Arri bayonet or PL.
Steve

should be able to change the PL mount to a B4 mount on the lens then use the B4 adapter for the EX3.

The 150-600 from Canon IS a variable prime. It does not hold focus when zooming. there is a modified version of this fine lens that will hold focus when zooming making it a great long lens for film/video.

Derek Reich January 19th, 2009 09:40 AM

Hey, Mark-
If your ultimate goal of using the ACM-21 2/3" adapter is to get a Canon lens on the EX, you can save over $1,000 and buy the Sony LO-32BMT 2/3" adapter instead. You can get it for around $620, compared to the $1,600-$1,800 for the Fuji ACM-21. The difference is the Fuji adapter has electrical contacts which provide servo lens and iris control with a 2/3" broadcast video lens. There is a small plug on the side of the adapter for the broadcast lens to plug into. The Sony does not have any electrical contacts, but if you are just going to use it for adapting still lenses via a B4 adapter, then you don't need any of that anyway. The B4 is a hard adapter to find, and they're not cheap, either. I would think your best bet would be to buy the Nikon 1/2" adapter, and buy a good Nikon 35mm lens. You might be ahead financially that way, and you won't be having to use as many adapters to get there. If you do decide to go the B4 route, let me know. I know where there is a used B4 Canon mount for sale (if it isn't already gone)
cheers
Derek

Steve Phillipps January 19th, 2009 12:29 PM

But if he was going to replace the PL mount why not just have an EX mount made up and put that directly onto the lens - it'd be a lot cheaper and save using adapters.
Steve

Mark McNamara January 19th, 2009 02:22 PM

lens

Thanks Steve and Derek.
Derek, I am looking into your suggestion because we do plan on using this camera for many projects. Lots of eagles, brown bears, wolves, etc here.
Steve, I sent an email to Les and here is his reply--
The best solution would be a Sony 1/2" Mount made to the Century Universal mount ( as opposed to the Cooke system )

I can make this for you for GBP250.00 ( about US$360.00 )

The lens will require a support , or it will rip the front off the camera

Otherwise there will be no problems ,

Regards
Les Bosher

mark

Steve Phillipps January 19th, 2009 03:01 PM

Mark, thyat's what I thought Les would say, but he's assuming it has a Universal mount - in case you don't know this is a screw fitting at the back of the lens which takes special mount adapters to allow it mount to any camera. If that's what the lens has then it's easy, if it's a fixed mount in PL, Arri bayonet etc., that's a bit more tricky, but even then it's usually possible to unscrew the PL mount and make a custom EX mount to screw on in its place. You need to find out exactly what's on the lens.
Steve