SxS reader alternatives at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 17th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SxS reader alternatives

exploring functional options to the sony reader (and that works with the MxR combo) found this:

MicroU2E-MV USB 2.0 to USB Mode ExpressCard 34|54 Multi-Voltage Host Adapter, Synchrotech

maybe has been mentioned before... just want feedback about it....

Kind Regards
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #2
New Boot

The official Sony USB reader doesn't work with the MxR because the MxR isn't a "true" ExpressCard and since this USB to ExpressCard reader only supports USB type media one would think this should work perfectely with the MxR, but so do all SD card readers when you would simpely remove the SD card from the MxR reader.

Bottom line is that this solution doesn't really add anyting to other existing solutions available on the market, especially at this high price.
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

... I was thinking in only ONE reader device for both SxS and MxR combo.... the cost of the device is only 48 USD .... how much faster is express card vs. USB ?? ... the other thing is I like to treat my MxR combos as one unit ...not ejecting the SDHC anytime I need to back up my clips .... thanks anyway, just exploring options.....
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The expresscard is significantly faster than USB. Another option, if speed is what you are after, might be a firewire, especially firewire 800, card reader. I know they make these for CF, not sure if an SDHC version exists.

However, the best alternative I have found is to get a laptop with an ExpressCard/34 slot.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Major Player

However, the best alternative I have found is to get a laptop with an ExpressCard/34 slot.[/QUOTE]

Booya!!!!
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #6
Trustee

The best alternative I've found - get rid of the SxS and use SDHC cards with the MxR adapter
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm waiting for the arrival of my MxR Adaptors and SDHC Cards. However when they do arrive I am thinking about purchasing the Delkin SD to CF Adaptor as I hope to be able to use it in conjunction with my Firewire 800 CF Reader, which will hopefully give me faster download times than USB2.0.

It may not work, but I reckon it's worth a try!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #8
Trustee

PCI Express to ExpressCard 34|54 Slot Drive Read-Writer, Synchrotech
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I've looked at that card in the past, but was scared off since it appears that you have to reboot after you insert the Expresscard and again when it is removed. Have they fixed that problem?

If it was hot-swappable, that would make it almost usable. The other downside is the backside: the slots on my workstation are in the back and my workstation is under the desk.

For now, a MacBookPro serves as a card reader for me.
Brooks Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #10
Major Player

I wish someone would make a PC Express 34 to Firewire 800 adapter.

I'm getting tired of having to copy my files off using my MBP to a hard drive, then copy them from that hard drive to my Mac Pro's Raid setup.

Oh well...
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Huenergardt View Post
I wish someone would make a PC Express 34 to Firewire 800 adapter.

I'm getting tired of having to copy my files off using my MBP to a hard drive, then copy them from that hard drive to my Mac Pro's Raid setup.

Oh well...
Have you tried Gigabit Ethernet? IIRC, I get pretty decent speeds on my network. I'd benchmark it, but just landed in a foreign country (Canada) and the network speed between my MBP and my edit station is drastically reduced at the moment. ;-)
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:11 AM   #12
Trustee

Personally I like copying my footage to a hard drive and then to my RAID. That way I have the original BPAV file and the MOV files. In essence and backup in case something went wrong.

I'm sorry I don't have anymore info about the PCIe Express Card reader. I remembered that I had seen it somewhere and thought I'd post the link for you in case you hadn't seen it.

We kind of screwed up when we bought our system. We purchased 2 Sony card readers when we could have gotten by with one as I use my MacBookPro to transfer to a hard drive and then to my RAID. My coworker doesn't have a laptop so he uses the Sony reader (almost 1/2 the transfer rate but still much better than capturing from tape)
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Personally I like copying my footage to a hard drive and then to my RAID. That way I have the original BPAV file and the MOV files. In essence and backup in case something went wrong.
Ahh, yes. That's what I do too. But I hold the dump from the card on a 7200rpm 3.5" FW800 attached to the MBP, then copy the MOV files via GB Ethernet over to the big station. The external drive then goes on a shelf so I can't mess it up. At some point soon after, the BPAV gets "archived" off to optical and sent offsite once a month.

I use the network to transfer the MOV files since it's faster than a single spindle can read and it's easier and I'm lazy. ;-) (and now that I think about it, it's one less opportunity for the external drive to get accidentally corrupted, not that such things happen often)

Using a network drive as the target for XDCAM Transfer doesn't sound like a great idea, although I can't articulate why at the moment. I just feel better writing locally first, then copying. I'm such a nerd about it that I frequently validate copies with MD5s.
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #14
Trustee

Sounds great Brian. I bought one of the new Western Digital 500GB My Passport Studio drives with FW800 ports. It doesn't need power and it seems plenty fast to use as "sneaker net" between my laptop and main editing system.

Interesting idea about Gigabit ethernet. I wonder which is faster? Thanks! :)
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I've been importing the SxS to my MacBookPro in the field and then GigE ethernet to my MacPro for editing at the office. FAAAST!

Of course I'm using MxR solution now so I don't copy anything in the field and use SDHC to USB card reader to MacPro. 2x with ClipBrowser CRC on and 4X with CRC off.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds