Joining EX1 clips in post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 19th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Joining EX1 clips in post

I was shooting with two cards in the slots and I now have a clip that is split. How do I join them? I have FCP and have installed the Sony reader but haven't had any luck.
Jesse Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Trustee

Use XDCAM EX Clip Browser.
1) Open two windows, make one of them your SxS card and the other a folder where you want to move the clips to.
2) Drag the first clip from the first card (window 1) into the clips folder (window 2)
3) Eject the first card and insert the second card
4) Drag the second clip from window 1 to your clips folder (window 2)

Clip Browser will join them together into one long clip in your BPAV folder. Then using XDCAM Transfer, import the clip into FCP (or what ever your using)
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Open two windows in Finder or in the Browser? When I tried to drag my second disk over it wouldn't let me because the file names were the same.
Jesse Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Major Player

cant you just put them together in post? thats what I do and it works just fine.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...ing-cards.html

Just a friendly reminder to please use the search next time, the EX1 may have only been out for a short while compared to a lot of the current cameras but a lot of ground has been covered in this forum.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Morgan View Post
Sorry, I'm a little confused. Open two windows in Finder or in the Browser? When I tried to drag my second disk over it wouldn't let me because the file names were the same.
Hi Jesse,

Please re-read my original post. The first line.... "Use XDCAM EX Clip Browser" (not XDCAM Transfer).

Here, I tweeked the steps so they are more understandable:

1) Launch the XDCAM EX Clip Browser application
2) Inside the application, open two windows (this is the default, so you may not have to do this)
3) Inside one window navigate to your SxS card and in the other window navigate to the folder where you want to import your footage (where you want to store your footage).
4) Drag the first clip from the first card (window 1) into the clips folder (window 2)
5) Eject the first card and insert the second card
6) Drag the second clip from window 1 to your clips folder (window 2)

NOTE: The EX1/EX3 creates a special label for clips that span two cards (the clip names end in SMI). Using the above steps, you can easily join them together. In fact, I just import ALL the clips on CARD-1 associated with my project, eject the card, insert CARD-2 and import the rest of the clips associated with the project ALL AT ONCE. The software will automatically join together any clips that spanned both cards so you don't even have to worry about it. But you must import both cards to the same folder for this to work.

Hope that makes sense! :)

EDIT: I just read Joe's post from a while back, I guess you can do this using XDCAM Transfer as well. Read his post if you're interested. (see post #5 above for the link)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds