suggested sharpening settngs for EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

suggested sharpening settngs for EX1

I have been using a variety of Detail On settings on my EX1 (level, frequency, crispening, and knee aperture).

Most of the time I get better results that way than I have adding the sharpening in Vegas. However, I would like to be able to turn Detail Off for situations that aren't as controlled, then add Sharpening in Vegas.

Does anyone have any suggestions about which fx to use, and particular settings?

Thanks.
Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

suggested sharpening settngs for EX1

In my admittedly limited experience I haven' t found Sharpening to be particularly effective. The Unsharp Mask is rather better but it still can't cure a blurred or seriously out of focus shot. Have I been missing something? And surely it's better and safer to get the picture right at the taking stage or am I missing something here as well?

Regards,

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:41 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Peters View Post
I have been using a variety of Detail On settings on my EX1 (level, frequency, crispening, and knee aperture).

Most of the time I get better results that way than I have adding the sharpening in Vegas. However, I would like to be able to turn Detail Off for situations that aren't as controlled, then add Sharpening in Vegas.

Does anyone have any suggestions about which fx to use, and particular settings?

Thanks.
Pete
Turning detail off means that you can't use the other features such as crispening, which is handy for reducing noise. If you mean you just want to do away with the actual "sharpening" part of detail then you could leave detail on but lower it to -25 which is the same as detail off, that way you still have access to crispening.

Paul.
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Paul,

I'm doing that now. I have been using a setting of 0 for level, frequency 30, crispening 30, knee aperture -30. That works pretty well for most things, giving just a touch of clarity that seems to be lacking in unprocessed. Less noisy than what I have been able to do in Vegas.

However, I have noticed some small haloing in extreme situations. That's why I was looking for a Vegas sharpening solution to use. If in doubt, I could turn Detail off and depend on Vegas. I am accustomed to unsharp mask in Photoshop, but the Vegas settings are different and I am having trouble getting a look that seems worth doing.

Pete
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Trustee

Detail level set to 0 is not the same as detail off, detail at -25 is the same as off.
Stupid i think, i think detail on and set to 0 should have no effect, then going to level 1 would add a bit of detail sharpening, then 2 then 3 etc.

Paul.
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I think my question has been misunderstood. I originally posted this in the Vegas forum and didn't realize it had been moved.

I'm NOT looking for Detail settings in EX1 Picture Profiles.

I am looking for Vegas settings. Which FXs are people using in Vegas if they aren't using Detail settings within the camera?

Pete
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Major Player

i think you will find these settings are what you want. I find I have to add sharpen
in FCP to get the results I feel I should be getting in camera, at least compared to
what I have read about the sick image quality this camera is suppose to have.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds