EX3 newbie 2 questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 20th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX3 newbie 2 questions

Starting to "play" with the EX3... really amazing camera and very happy with it.... sorry for my english....
1.- There es no 15 shutter speed ... coming from JVC HD110 maybe I'm missing something that I don't really need (the JVC now seems to me not very light sensitive compared to the EX3)... but anyway 30 speed (shutter off) is the minimum ? (besides jumping to SLS modes...)

2.- For MxR/SDHC combo users: I'm beggining to let the adapters always in the camera and just taking out the SDHC cards for transfering to my systems (with USB "cheap" adapters to connect to PCs) .... what do you think ?? do I need to take out the whole combo ?? safest way ??

Kind regards
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:24 AM   #2
Major Player

I think you will find other posts that indicate the best way is to remove the combo before changing the SDHC card. The camera system can easily get confused so why look for trouble? I use MxR adapters and Transcend 16gb class 6 cards with great success.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique Orozco Robles View Post
1.- There es no 15 shutter speed ... coming from JVC HD110 maybe I'm missing something that I don't really need (the JVC now seems to me not very light sensitive compared to the EX3)... but anyway 30 speed (shutter off) is the minimum ? (besides jumping to SLS modes...)
If what you are after is 1/15 shutter speed, SLS 2 frames on a 30fps format will give you 1/15. Remember that shutter needs to be on for SLS to work.
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Major Player

I NEVER remove the adapters (mine are the Kensingtons) unless I'm planning to use slo-mo. However, I power-down the camera and remove the card when I change it. I've found that I can remove and replace one SDHC card with no problems, but the camera gets confused if I remove a second one.
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
I power-down the camera and remove the card when I change it. I've found that I can remove and replace one SDHC card with no problems, but the camera gets confused if I remove a second one.
I did a four and a half hour continuous shoot. Did not turn the camera off once, using exclusively SDHC cards. I had one small ID problem the whole afternoon which was fixed by a "reformat card" action. I, of course, took out one card at a time as they filled up.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds