DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Water 3D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/142030-water-3d.html)

Alister Chapman January 21st, 2009 11:22 AM

Water 3D

I have just uploaded my latest stereoscopic XDCAM EX video to vimeo.

Water 3D on Vimeo

This was shot with an EX1 and a modified EX3 (Zoom control and hand grip removed) on a side by side rig. I had to fiddle around with the black levels on the cameras a little as they have slightly different black levels, but other than that they match well.

You will need to dig out some Red/Cyan glasses to get the 3D effect. Unfortunately the low bandwidth H264 encoding doesn't do the Anaglyph any favors. The 3D in the original material looks really good and I'm pleased with my new ruggedised mounting system. I intend to film the Elemental Project in 3D this year (Extreme & Severe Weather, Storm Chasing Photography & Videography - The Elemental Project).

Erik Phairas January 21st, 2009 10:01 PM

damn it, I can't find my old 3-d glasses.... I will keep looking.

Jason Bodnar January 21st, 2009 10:11 PM

I know my kids got some 3d glasses around here somewhere...I am still looking.

Erik Phairas January 24th, 2009 01:11 AM

Watched it!! A mistake I made (and I'm sure others will too) is trying to make the video as big as possible. I played it full screen on a 40" monitor and it didn't look as 3-d as I hoped.

I found if I DON"T play it fullscreen and actually sit back from my 19" screen, it suddenly looks VERY 3-d, you can see all the subtle changes in depth very good.

Great job!

Alister Chapman January 24th, 2009 04:13 PM

I expect it's the H264 artifacts that's messing it up on a big screen. I have enabled the original file download option on vimeo so you should now be able to download the original H264 file which is better than the streamed version. Certainly the full res XDCAM version holds together fine on a big screen.

The glasses that come with the Guinness World Records book work fine as do the spy-kids 3D ones. The journey to the center of the earth ones are the wrong colours.

If anyone is really stuck for a pair PM me and I'll see what I can do. I have a few hundred here from a previous 3D job!

Erik Phairas January 24th, 2009 04:48 PM

Yep the download works really good fullscreen on my 19" monitor even if I put my face right up to it.. Very cool effect. The 40" which is acutally a LCD HDTV hooked up via hdmi still doesn't work great. This is clearly a problem with the TVs color spread or something with signal.

Oh and I am using the glasses that came with the Nightmare on Elmstreet box set. :)

You know Al, it's a crime you haven't used this to make a really low budget monster movie. The crappier the costume the better in this case!!