Will an SDTV lens work on EX-3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 24th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #1
New Boot

Will an SDTV lens work on EX-3?

Found a good price on a Canon YH 19X6.7KRS SDTV 1/2 inch lens. Will I get a 16:9 image or 4:3?
Steve Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #2
New Boot

SD lens - Fijunon 36X zoom worked on EX3

I was able to use a Fijunon 36X zoom effectively on my EX3. I used the ACM-21 1/2" to 2/3" adapater because it has a electronic connection unlike the ACM-18.

The SD lens worked fine and provided excellent quality footage.
Mark Angelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #3
Major Player

I do not think it's a wise idea to attach a SD lens to a HD camera. This week I did some side by side filming with my EX3 and a friend's Sony HDCAM which was fitted with a very good Fujinon SD 2/3 inch lens. The image from my EX3 totally outperformed the image of this HDCAM + lens combo with regards to sharpness and CA. Obviously the HDCAM then outperformed the EX3 with regards to latitude (but then it is to be expected from a much more expensive camera) although with some tweeking in post the pictures came really close!!.

I think that you would be reducing the overall image to the EX3. Also, there was another thread here where someone (I believe it was Alister Chapman, though I might be wrong) posted images from 3 different lenses - the stock lens a SD lens and a Canon HD lens and the results were striking. He found out that the SD degraded the picture while the stock lens stood well when compared to the Canon HD.

If you do not do a side by side comparison it might not be so apparent.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The YH19x6.7 isn't too bad. I used one on my F350 until I was able to get my Canon KH20 HD lens. At least it's a 1/2" lens. You will find it softer than the stock lens but if you need the extra focal length it is IMHO just about acceptable. One thing I have noticed is that HD lenses seem to give higher contrast than SD lenses and this doesn't always show up on test charts etc.

There are bigger issues when trying to use 2/3" lenses on the EX as there is a miss-match in the prism size which is only partially corrected by the glass in the ACM-21. I would want to do some serious testing of the specific lens before using a 2/3" SD lens on an EX.

The differences in lenses only really show up when you view the footage on a big monitor. By big I mean 37" or larger. On a 50" monitor the differences can be quite striking!
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mitchell View Post
Found a good price on a Canon YH 19X6.7KRS SDTV 1/2 inch lens. Will I get a 16:9 image or 4:3?
You'll certainly get a 16:9 image.
I think the only thing to do is try it vs the stock lens (which is known to be a decent lens). That's what I've been doing, with mixed and interesting results (see some of my threads).

Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi All,
I have a a EX1 and a EX3. I am looking for a lens for the EX3 and have been trialing a SD Fujinon 6.4 x 19 BERM with a 2 x doubler. When I use this lens there is a green tint to the picture. I need to change the colour in the Lens menu. Does anyony have some advice about this?
Also I have a choice of this lens or a HD Fujinon HS 5.5 x 18 (no doubler) lens. The problem is that this lens is two and a half times the price of the 19x. Also the 18x is only just long enough for my filming. All of my work is outpout as SD DVDs.
Is it worth the extra for the HD lens? I gather by reading the earlier posts that I can expect a sharper image and an increase in contrast.
Many thanks,
Ian
Ian Semmens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds