DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   My first experiment mixing 5DmkII and EX-1 on the same shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/142424-my-first-experiment-mixing-5dmkii-ex-1-same-shoot.html)

Dan Chung January 26th, 2009 10:45 AM

My first experiment mixing 5DmkII and EX-1 on the same shoot

Also posted in the 5dmkII forum.

A short I did last night in a few hours at the Chinese new year celebrations in Beiijing. It's the world's biggest unorganised fireworks display! It was a rush job in conditions well below freezing so apologies if some of the camera work is a little rough.

YouTube - Beijing fireworks mark Chinese new year to watch in HD.

It's the first time I've cut Sony EX-1 and Eos5DmkII footage together in the same piece. I'd be interested if anyone can tell which is which in 720p web format. Both cameras were set to 1080/30p

Dan

Vincent Oliver January 26th, 2009 10:56 AM

I suspect that most of the wide angle footage was shot on the Canon. The overall footage is far too pixelated to judge image quality, the HD version didn't load up. I looks like you had a fun night out.

Ted OMalley January 26th, 2009 11:51 AM

The HD version looked like it was going to fail at first - then it played fine.

They seemed to mix together fine - nothing really stands out as being disjointed. If I had to guess...

There's a very wide shot at the beginning - on sticks. It's the Canon, I'd guess.

Most of the handheld work thoughout the body was the EX1.

Closing shot - focus pull - I'd guess Canon again.

Few other shots that looked like the canon as well.

How'd I do?

Sean Seah January 28th, 2009 08:04 AM

Cool! I only managed to tell from the DOF of some shots by the 5D. I think the majority was done in EX1. The constrast is a little better for 5D in my opinion. I'm assuming there was done CC done.

Daniel Ridicki January 28th, 2009 08:53 AM

Interesting!

Which software you used to edit the piece?

Jerry Mennenga January 28th, 2009 07:09 PM

ex-1 and 5d markII

I would guess you started shooting with the Canon at the bell ringing and then the tighter shots of individuals and couples, but shot the beginning fireworks and later fireworks on the ex-1. I say this, because the audio of the bell ringing and the people in the street holding stuff is not very good. I experimented by adding a beachtek to a 5d and putting a mic onto the hotshot (Sennhieser makes a cold hotshoe adapter with a mic clip) and the sound is immensely better, even though the camera still controls the audio levels...But the two working together does make doing some assignments a little less cumbersome. It did look like fun....

jerry
sioux city, iowa

Dan Chung January 28th, 2009 10:04 PM

Jerry was closest, the entire opening up to the bell is shot on the 5dmkII (good spot on the bell audio) , the fireworks after that are on the EX-1 apart from one shot at 00.48 which is 5dmkII. The people on the street are all 5dmkII and the defocussed fireworks at the end are a combination of EX-1 and 5dmkII shots.

I've put a version on Vimeo here Chinese new year fireworks in Beijing - 5DmkII on Vimeo if anyone wants to download.

Daniel, it was edited in Final Cut Pro after all 5dmkII footage was converted to XDCAM EX using MPEG streamclip.

Dan

Mark OConnell January 28th, 2009 10:32 PM

Why convert it to XD CAM rather then ProRes?

Dan Chung January 28th, 2009 10:37 PM

Only because then I didn't have to convert the EX-1 footage as well, a small quality loss on the 5dmkII footage but less conversion = less time. I was on a tight deadline to get this editied for the Guardian website.

Dan

Erik Phairas January 29th, 2009 12:35 AM

well you already answered but I saw a shot near the end with the characteristic orange hue I've seen with the new HD videos from DSLRs. It's the shot of the white guy near the end. Other than that I couldn't tell. :)