DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Ex1 - best way to hold the camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/142490-ex1-best-way-hold-camera.html)

Matt San January 27th, 2009 07:56 AM

Ex1 - best way to hold the camera

I am a fairly new EX1 owner and biggest gripe I have is the fatigue in my arm after holding the camera for any length of time.

I know everyone will say use a tripod but that is usually not practical so was wondering what tips others may have for shoot n run type scenareos.

I really don't want any extra mounts or brackets attached to the cam either as this will just make it physically bigger and bulkier.

thx in advance

Jay Gladwell January 27th, 2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt San (Post 1001869)
I really don't want any extra mounts or brackets attached to the cam either as this will just make it physically bigger and bulkier.

That last caveat prevents any further suggestions, Matt.

You either hand-hold it or mount it on something (a shoulder bracket) to prevent hand-holding.

Vincent Oliver January 27th, 2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt San (Post 1001869)

thx in advance

Then the only answer is to get yourself fitter or just shoot short clips.

Jose Bucaro January 27th, 2009 09:58 AM

Use a mono pad.

Ted OMalley January 27th, 2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose Bucaro (Post 1001925)
Use a mono pad.

This is a great one...

561b | B&H Photo Video

John Woo January 27th, 2009 11:18 AM

I have been using this for close to 1 year now. It cost $60 and I never remove it from my EX1 even when mounted on tripod.
Anton/Bauer-EgripZ

Don Greening January 27th, 2009 01:04 PM

Matt,

If you have your heart set on hand-holding a "naked" EX1 then here's how to minimize your fatigue and still get steady shots. I should point out that the following directions are from the folks at Vortex Media.

- Right hand using the hand grip. Twist the grip so your wrist is straight.
- Left hand palm up underneath where the tripod hole is and supporting the camera. Fingers pointing forward.
- This leaves the fore finger of your left hand free to adjust the focus ring from underneath and your thumb for the iris ring.
- Both your upper arms resting on your chest, elbows bent and forearms close together.
- Even if you're not using the viewfinder for framing push your right eye against it anyway. Pushing your right eye socket against the rubber VF is a huge stabilizing anchor.
- Left eye looking at the flip out LCD screen.

Now you have a steady camera while maximizing the amount of shooting time before your arms get tired.

Matt San January 27th, 2009 01:54 PM

Thanks Don - that was more the kind of response I was after - I will give it a go - cheers

Geoff Addis January 27th, 2009 03:37 PM

Not suitable for all shots, but I have found this to be a good technique for many:

Fit the camera strap to the camera (I know this can sometimes be an inconvenience) and loop it over your head, then hold the camera with both hands (left hand underneath the camera and right in the cameras handle which is best rotated through 90 degree or so) in a way that the camera strap is taught; this will provide a comfortable and steady 'three point' mounting

Leonard Levy January 27th, 2009 04:08 PM

The monopod described above with a cheap Bogen/Manfrotto tilt head and a fannypack around your waist is the best handheld solution IMHO.

Gareth Watkins January 27th, 2009 04:09 PM

Hi Geoff

Yes this is an old Stills trick... works too...
Personally I find using the body, elbows and shoulder with the LCD as I suggest and Steadyshot set to 'hard' gives surprisingly steady shots.

The biggest issue though is for long takes... I've occasionally been in shoots where after a few minutes your arms a really flagging. These small cameras once you add a big battery, mic, mattebox and radio receiver get really heavy...

Second thoughts, scrap all the above, sell your EX1 and get an EX3...LOL!!
Gareth

Geoff Addis January 28th, 2009 06:27 AM

Hi Gareth,

For longer shots that require mobility I use and recommend the PAG Orbiter - can work for hours on end with that and not feel tired.

Cheers,

Geoff

Zenes Petrusin January 28th, 2009 07:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use Cinecity Gliders Super Shoulder..

Gareth Watkins January 28th, 2009 08:19 AM

My issue with all these brackets and shoulder is their weight and generally cumbersome nature. It make these otherwise small more discrete cameras somewhat unwieldy.
I do regularly use a Cavision shoulder brace and with the set up described in my post above find it works very well and does help me get steady shots in situations were I can't bring a tripod along.
But it is very heavy, makes it hard to put the camera down and when I do need a tripod requires the universal adapter plate set up, which of course adds to the weight.
For quick run and gun stuff, where I'm in and out of cars etc.. I like my set up.

Cheers
Gareth

Terry Taravella January 28th, 2009 07:53 PM

I bought one of these today

Steady Stick at DVcreators.net

I'll post a review when I get to try it out.