New letus relay with the EX3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 27th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New letus relay with the EX3?

Letus 2/3" Compact Relay*::*Letus Relay Lenses*::*LetusDirect

Will that attach onto the EX3 body?

What are your thoughts on the new relay? There's also the pro version..

Letus 2/3" Pro Relay*::*Letus Relay Lenses*::*LetusDirect

Edit: Jumped the gun. I realize that the EX3 is 1/2" so no it will not fit. But there was talk of a 2/3" to 1/2" adapter.. I got a little over my head!

Last edited by James Dierx; January 27th, 2009 at 01:49 PM.
James Dierx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Trustee

The new relay will fit the EX3 with the adaptor that comes with the camera. (at least that's how I understand it)
Old January 27th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Your just swapping one lens for another..? I thought they were going to have a mount, direct to camera. Camera-letus extreme-35mm lens. It's just still, Camera-lens-Letus-35mm lens. What are you gaining? And now you'll need to spend 0ver 11,000.00 for whole thing, lens, letus, rail system. Wow.
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Davenport View Post
What are you gaining?
Apparently, less light loss and a "one piece design", but agreed, uber expensive for what you get. Honestly, this would be great on a SI-2K. I could see this being feasible there.
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Your just swapping one lens for another..? I thought they were going to have a mount, direct to camera. Camera-letus extreme-35mm lens. It's just still, Camera-lens-Letus-35mm lens. What are you gaining? And now you'll need to spend 0ver 11,000.00 for whole thing, lens, letus, rail system. Wow.
Have to totally agree. You are removing the stock lens, which is designed to work well with the camera it was made for, for another lens costing $6000. For that you could almost buy another EX3!

Is it worth $6000? ( plus impost duty and VAT) =£5800 in the UK!

Unless you have money to burn on gaining a stop or so, and are doing some kind of higher end production, it doesn't seem at all practical.

Perhaps others think differently and I would like to hear their views on investing in it.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #6
Trustee

I was wrong.... A "little birdy" just told me:

"With this new adaptor on the EX3 the image will be cropped. A separate 1/2 inch adapter is on it's way."

That's all I know.
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Major Player

2/3 adapter is not the ticket ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
I was wrong.... A "little birdy" just told me:

"With this new adaptor on the EX3 the image will be cropped. A separate 1/2 inch adapter is on it's way."

That's all I know.
a 35mm lens to 1/2 censor B4 mount relay would be ideal. I know upside down image and DOF coming from the lens alone but that's the ticket for putting inexpensive but good glass on the camera! I would like to see something like this for about $2,000!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Trustee

Dean, that's not what's coming. This will be a "relay lens" that removes the need for using the stock EX3 lens WITH a Letus Ultimate. So you would still need BOTH the Letus Ultimate and the yet to be released relay lens.

The main advantage to the relay lens is that it would have a lower f-stop (larger aperture) than the stock EX3 lens. It will probably also be much shorter in length so your rig wouldn't be so front heavy.

The big question is the cost. Hopefully it will relatively affordable.
Old January 28th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:

Its going to be $6000 plus taxes.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
I believe that the relay system was always going to be another lens. There was no other way for the image in the ground glass to get to the CCD/CMOS without another lens. The adaptors just were not made to work any other way. There are many weight/size advantages to the relay though, and I wouldn't be surprised if its a sharper image too.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hopefully the 1/2 will be a bit cheaper. But I guess the compact would be the way to go. Would rather loose a little bit of stop over shooting through 12 plus pieces of glass.
Still cheaper than $27,000 dollar Pro 35. Glass will always cost us.
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #12
Major Player

Yeah ...

Quote:
Dean, that's not what's coming. This will be a "relay lens" that removes the need for using the stock EX3 lens WITH a Letus Ultimate. So you would still need BOTH the Letus Ultimate and the yet to be released relay lens.

The main advantage to the relay lens is that it would have a lower f-stop (larger aperture) than the stock EX3 lens. It will probably also be much shorter in length so your rig wouldn't be so front heavy.

I know it's to be used with the letus but ... I was just dreaming. There's a 2/3 relay made in Greece and there's a B4 mount with a Nikon mount made in England I think. It would be sweet to have the relay attach to lens directly. I've got the SGBlade coming and I'm up for something on this level but ... I'll wait and see!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #13
Trustee

A little more info from my secret source:

"The Letus EX-3 relay is ready to go. It's a F/1.5 lens. It's shorter than the longer B4 mount but longer than the shorter one. Get it? "

Still waiting on cost. (hopefully not $6000)
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I want it.. but I'm not willing to pay over $3,500!
James Dierx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #15
Trustee

^^^^^^I agree.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds