My Sony EX3 is useless - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #31
Inner Circle

You can pick up the Fujinon KY19x6.7 (think that's the correct number) for a lot less than £1000. I've seen them advertised for less than £400. While it's not an HD lens it isn't too bad and will give acceptable results. Combined with the EX3 it will outperform the majority of small HD cameras.

Sorry to hear about you problem. I had a Digibeta do the same with similar results many years ago.
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Good luck with this, Vincent and you are ABSOLUTELY correct that the Manfrotto legs should be snugged up routinely when using heavier cameras. I had no issues with mine when I was using my old Sony PD150, but as soon as I mounted my JVC GY-HD200, I noticed leg creep. Thankfully I was standing right there and rescued the camera and made the adjustment.
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #33
Regular Crew

First: Vincent. OMG. Ouch. Dude. Sorry. Seriously.

Several people here have mentioned independent camera insurance and although I've managed to skate by these years without incident, I'm now becoming convinced that it might be a good time to look into it. My work volume is increasing and so it follows that my risk exposure is increasing as well.

For us independents, it sounds like the options boil down to: a) Homeowner's/Renter's (prolly need itemized rider?), b) generic business insurance (itemized again?), or c) specialized 3rd-party equipment insurance.

I'd bet that these insurance markets are country-specific, so can anyone in the States point me to what options are available? Any recommendations? Any anti-recommendations? Any actual experiences with claims?
Brooks Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #34
Trustee

Thank you all for your heartfelt messages. Today is a new day, I shot a job with my Canon XH A1 and can honestly say I love the EX3 even more. This morning I gritted my teeth and ordered a new lens £1030 (including delivery) and it should be with me on Wednesday 4th Feb. I will work all the hours on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and hope to finish off the DVD project the following week.

I hope my story has made some users stop and take an extra few minutes to ensure their equipment is secure, in more ways than the obvious. Fortunately, I did pick up an extra job today which by coincidence will cover the lens cost, I look at it as one day’s work to replace a bit of kit - I enjoy my job, so it's not work really, it's just great fun with a few hiccups en-route.

I appreciate all the feedback on this forum, many thanks

Yours very sincerely

Vincent Oliver
Digital Photography at photo-i
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #35
New Boot

Does the camera still turn on? From the looks of it, I bet you only need to replace the lens. And since you already have still lens, why not convert the whole system with those new Letus adapters? If that's too expensive, I'm sure you can find a 2/3'' lens for a a couple of grand. Here's one on ebay:

New Fujinon A19x8.7BRM 19X 2/3" Lens Works w/ HD Camera - eBay (item 260350208128 end time Jan-30-09 21:48:04 PST)
Khang Mai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #36
Inner Circle

I have a Solo Policy from Allen Chapman and James (no relation) and it covers me up to £26,000 all risks, new for old and I don't have to list my equipment. It's a policy designed for the TV industry and when I did have to make a claim a few years back they were prompt and courteous. Its £900 per year with a £500 excess but well worth it.
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #37
Trustee

I am looking into a more comprehensive insurance policy, one with an increase in public liability coverage. I used to have a very good one when I worked as a stills photographer in the TV industry (up £5,000,000 coverage). My equipment insurance needed to be updated and I let this slip through complacency (I have never made a claim).

The EX3 body seems to be OK, not even a scratch or scuff, just the damaged lens. I guess I could try the repair route, but I don't think I would ever have 100% confidence in it. Hence, I have purchased the new lens.
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #38
Major Player

Hi Vincent,

Sorry to hear your woes! Glad you’re optimistic though! If the actual body is ok then you could deem it as a narrow escape (hence only having to replace the lens). Insurance – love ‘em or hate ‘em! Unlike others here I ditched insurance years ago when I never got paid on a valid claim and ever since I ask for a quote from four companies every year – take the mean and put what the premium would have cost me in the bank every month! Touch wood never needed it yet but it’s there (all twelve years of it) if I need it (plus it was earning me interest until this so called credit crunch!!!). As for public liability well that doesn’t cost much in the scheme of things (not forgetting the legal requirement of course!).

All the best,

Paul
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #39
Major Player

Vincent, my household insurance is with Norwich union Tapestry, and my camera is completely covered for any disaster, whether I am stupid enough to leave it unattended in the car and it gets nicked, through to having buter fingers and dropping in on the pavement.

In fact the coverage is excellent with only £100 excess and coverage of a single item up to £15,000. And that includes business use. OK my household is £1300 a year because of a taste for 17th C Oak furniture and a few expensive paintings, but its good to know I am secure. I called them up this morning to double check after reading this thread. Might be something worth considering.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #40
Trustee

Paul, I know over the years I have spent a small fortune on insurance, probably could have purchased the camera two or three times over with the amount spent and have never made a single claim. I am with the Prudential and they are reviewing the case at the moment, keep fingers crossed. I will seek out a more comprhensive policy with another company and review my public liability cover, I know this is far too low. I would hate someone to trip over my tripod and then sue me.

Whilst on insurance topics, has anyone got a liability cover that protects them against loss of work. i.e. if the days shoot gets corrupted and lost. This could be important if you have spent out on location and model hire. Perhaps this was more important in shooting film and tape days when there was more to go wrong, but now in a tapeless workflow I wonder how we stand.

Steve, thanks for your advice, I will look at the Norwich Union options as I have a pension fund with them too.
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #41
Major Player

Vincent, I got my public liability this morning. As a sole trader videographer, with no previous claims, £2 million coverage, cost me only £107 for the year with Axa. No one else could get near that price.

Cheers
Steve
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #42
Inner Circle

If you become a member of Bectu you can get PLI for £15 per annum for £3 million. My Bectu membership plus PLI cost less than £100 per year and I get free legal help for anything connected with the TV industry including copyright issues, chasing late payers etc. You also get subsidised training courses, a magazine, press card if you need one. Well worth it if you ask me.
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #43
Trustee

Do you have a telephone number or website URL for Bectu. This sounds like an interesting option.

Thanks

Have just found it

http://www.bectu.org.uk/
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:52 AM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Do you have a telephone number or website URL for Bectu. This sounds like an interesting option.

Thanks

Have just found it

BECTU Home
I would read the clauses. You are not covered if you undertake work that has no connection to your membership of BECTU.

Plus joining plus buying PL insurance would come to £143.
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:59 AM   #45
Trustee

Thanks Steve - I did read the "small print". All my work is either produced for photo-i or video-i and editorial for web etc., so I don't think I would qualify

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds