DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   My Sony EX3 is useless (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/142568-my-sony-ex3-useless.html)

Vincent Oliver January 28th, 2009 10:07 AM

My Sony EX3 is useless

Just thought I would let you all know that my brand new Sony EX3 took a nose dive off my tripod and smashed upon impact with the floor. The lens has snapped appart into two pieces, I am not sure if the body mount has also become distorted, in which case the camera will be a write off. The bad news is that my insurance will not cover the camera as I didn't register it with them. I guess Christmas and other distractions got in the way of my usual business activities.

What on earth do I do with a DM shoulder brace, Kata 197 bag and several memory cards. I can't afford to replace the camera at this stage.

Chris Hurd January 28th, 2009 10:46 AM

Very sorry about this, Vincent... and I hate to be morbid, but... photos?

In the US, homeowners insurance *might* cover it if it's been declared on the policy. Unfamiliar with how these things work in the UK though.

Ian Planchon January 28th, 2009 11:06 AM

man, I am really sorry! I know the feeling. I dont even know what your options could be, this is a really tough situation. but if the body still works maybe you can find a decent lens to throw on there to keep ya going.

good luck.

Vincent Oliver January 28th, 2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1002474)
Very sorry about this, Vincent... and I hate to be morbid, but... photos?

In the US, homeowners insurance *might* cover it if it's been declared on the policy. Unfamiliar with how these things work in the UK though.

Thanks Chris, I am trying the homewoners route, I will post a picture later - just as soon as I have dried my eyes. My 8 year old daughter emptied her piggy bank and offered me the contents. It's just a bad day.

Dana Kupper January 28th, 2009 12:02 PM

Oh! I can only tell you what I try to tell myself in those situations, "It's just a machine, thankfully no one got hurt."
It brings little comfort, however. I'm sorry.

Bill Ravens January 28th, 2009 12:08 PM

wow! that's the second EX3 in as many weeks, that I know about. Must be an omen.
;o)
Just remember that the lens elements are just sand.

Vincent Oliver January 28th, 2009 12:08 PM

Thanks Dana,

I nearlyt landed one on my assistant though, someone didn't tighten up the tripod legs - not pointing the finger at anyone, but I have never dropped anything or broken any equipment in the last 30 years.

Anyway, as you say no one was hurt and it is only a machine. I was in the middle of a big project which needs to be completed before the end of February. I will start again from scratch and use my Canon XH A1 - unfortunately this is a PAL format camera so I can't mix the footage from the Sony as I shot all the material in NTSC (for US market).

For those with an interest, here is a quick shot of the camera

ex3

Vincent Oliver January 28th, 2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 1002538)
Just remember that the lens elements are just sand.

Dust to dust etc.

I wil have the camera body looked at, hopefull there may not be any distortion on the lens mount, but I am not holding out much hope.

A replacement lens will cost £1012.00 ($1448)

Scott Hayes January 28th, 2009 12:20 PM

i would fight with your insurance company.

Denis OKeefe January 28th, 2009 12:23 PM

other insurance options

Any chance the camera is covered by a credit card? Large purchases made on the Amex card are covered for a period of time, although I'm not sure how long. Any port in a storm, it may be worth checking out if it was a CC purchase.

Vincent Oliver January 28th, 2009 01:21 PM

Thank you Denis,

Someone else has just pointed this out to me, I will check with BarclayCard to see if this is covered.

All the years I have paid out on camnera insurance without a single claim, and I let this one slip through the net. We learn the hard way.

Ola Christoffersson January 28th, 2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Planchon (Post 1002486)
man, I am really sorry! I know the feeling. I dont even know what your options could be, this is a really tough situation. but if the body still works maybe you can find a decent lens to throw on there to keep ya going.

good luck.

I don't know how much a new EX3 lense would be but I was surprised to hear that the complete EX1 lense including zoom handle is only about $1000 as a spare part.

Jay Gladwell January 28th, 2009 02:20 PM

Vincent, you have my deepest, most sincere sympathies on your recent loss.

My stomach flipped just reading abobut it!

Noel Lising January 28th, 2009 03:28 PM

I know how you feel Vincent in my 20 years, here's my catastrophe list if this makes you feel any better.

1. AG-456 nose dive
2. PVM Monitor stolen
3. PD150 stolen

After the AG-456 Nose Dive, I never leave my camera on a tripod, it goes where I go.

Simon Duncan January 28th, 2009 03:29 PM

I dropped my EX1 a few months back and sent it to Sony here in France hoping my 2 year prime support would cover it but alas no go.

Since it was dropped I have to fork out some 1385.00 Euros for a new lens and cover rear handle.

Although it was all my fault I am not a very happy camper.