Items on my cart - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 29th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser View Post
Yes I will consider MxR system , shall I drop the 8GB SXS card and buy more SanDisk 16GB Ultra II Secure Digital (SDHC) Cards ?
I find it important to have at least one SxS card for overcranking. Beyond that, it is up to your personal preference, method, etc.
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
I find it important to have at least one SxS card for overcranking. Beyond that, it is up to your personal preference, method, etc.
I presume one already come with EX1 in the box .
Laffan Nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #18
Major Player

I presumed that as well, but you asked about dropping the 8GB card and I thought maybe something changed that I was unaware of. Previously, I was talking about getting MxR instead of the 16GB card. I was simply suggesting that you keep at least one.
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #19
Major Player

Hi Laffan,

Here’s my wee input;

1. Have at least one 8GB SxS Pro Memory Card for overcranking! I’m finding that is limiting me at the moment and considering a second card for that purpose (only my style of shooting though!) so maybe have one 16GB maybe better.
2. The MxR as mentioned are awesome for the price – I’ve teamed mine with the Transcend Class 6 16GB as they work flawlessly (except for the acknowledged over-cranking issue) and are cheaper than the Sandisk! (I have four MxR with a further eight on order – the same goes for the Transcend).
3. I have the Hoya 77mm SHMC PRO1-D UV which works great – I have the Moose Peterson Filter you mentioned but never dreamt of fitting it to my EX-3 (plus I think it’s too thick anyhow – can always try if you need answer [for photography though I love it!]
4. Manfrotto, Varizoom and Bebob do EX remotes as well (if you need an extension for a jib extra then you’ll find that Varizoom and Bebob do a 10ft and 20ft).

Happy shooting,

Paul
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #20
Vortex Media

Quote:
This is what I want to avoid Malcolm , so I'm looking for members recommendation , as mentioned the outdoor sky is very bright very few clouds.
By the way I have the Hoya 77mm (Moose) Warm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter, will it fit on the ex1 ?
I replaced Hoya 77mm Introductory Filter Kit - Ultraviolet (UV), Circular Polarizer , with B+W 77mm UV Haze 010 Glass Filter Slim
and Porta Brace CTC-2 Traveler Camera Case instead of Petrol PWR-HDV Rolling Wingbag
Hi Laffan,

Since you specifically mentioned that you will be shooting outdoors with bright skies, I would say that a matte box with a graduated .6 ND filter and a circular polarizer is absolutely essential. I never shoot outdoors during the day without both of those filters on my camera.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend a particular brand/model of matte box for the EX1 because I've tried a few that claim to be designed for the EX1 and they all fall short in one way or another. There might be a good one out there, but I have not seen it personally. The matte box I use on my EX1 and EX3 is my 10 year old Chrosziel that I modified to work on the EX1 -- but I have to load the filters from below. No big deal, I got used to it. Don't fall for the sales pitch of buying a side-loading matte box that won't let you raise and lower the filters vertically. How will you use the grad filter if you can't move it up and down?

Also, make sure your polarizer is a circular polarizer and NOT a linear polarizer or you’ll get a significant hue shift when you rotate it. We’ve discussed this in another thread.

Also, warm filters are totally useless for video cameras because you're going to have to take it off the camera every time you white balance or else you'll negate the warming effect. And they don't work with auto-white balance at all. If you want warmer video, I'd recommend getting Vortex Media's WarmCards (shameless plug). 24,000 cameramen and digital photographers can't be wrong. Once again, that is an accessory I use on almost every shoot. www.vortexmedia.com

Doug
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Guys
one thing to mention , Videography to me is not a profession it's just hobby to fulfill my desires , so maybe I have picked up some "nice to have staff" or exaggerated on my list
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I'm not familiar with that mic, does it work well indoors? Some shotguns don't. A wireless lav mic can be a godsend.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Thanks folks , after considering some valuable comments from you guys , here is my updated list :-
1. Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX
2. Sony MDR-7506 Circumaural Closed-Back Professional Monitor Headphone
3. Sony SBP-8 8GB SxS PRO Memory Card for XDCAM EX Camcorders
4. Rode NTG-2 - Shotgun Condenser Microphone Basic Kit
5. 2x SanDisk 16GB Ultra II Secure Digital (SDHC) Card
6. Porta Brace CTC-2 Traveler Camera Case
7. B+W 77mm UV Haze 010 Glass Filter Slim
8. Sony BP-U60 Lithium-Ion Battery
9. Vortex Media DVD: Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1
10. Miller SOLO DV20 Carbon Fiber Tripod System - consists of: DS-20 Fluid Head

Did I missed any workflow item such as card reader ? I'm planning to get Apple power book
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #24
Trustee

swit battery and swit s-2000 light

Paul.
Old January 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks folks , after considering some valuable comments from you guys , here is my updated list :-
1. Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX

Did I missed any workflow item such as card reader ? I'm planning to get Apple power book
Perhaps the B+W UV haze will fit under the hood - I don't know. I know that I couldn't get the hood back on mine with the Tiffen, but the Hoya I mentioned earlier worked fine.

Also, I want to second that Vortex plug by Dave - I use the warm cards quite a bit. Actually I just bought the upgrade to the kit from B&H - 1/4 blue. My older kit started at 1/2 blue. I was forever going between 1/2 and pure white, so this will be a nice option.
Old January 30th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Ted, dose the HOUVSMC77 fits under the Ex1 hood nicely, I mean I can but the hood back while the filler is on ?
By the way can the Porta Brace CTC-2 Traveler bag carry the EX1 and my XH-A1 too ?
Old January 31st, 2009, 01:59 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
1. Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX

You'll need the MxR adaptor(s) for item 5.
I'd replace 7. with the Slim 486 IR cut filter. Never take mine off the camera.
You'll also need an XLR lead for 4. I'd suggest replacing the stock Sony mic holder with the EX flat from DM Accessories and getting the Rode shock mount that goes into a cold shoe. Then you can easily take the mic off the camera. Much easier to pack that way.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:51 AM   #28
Major Player

Word of caution on the Sony 7506 headphones, mine have a rather long coiled cable which gets in the way all the time when I shoot. In the end I ended up only using them in my edit suite and buying the Sennheiser HD25I II Sennheiser Electronic - HD 25-1 II
Sennheiser Hd25-1Ii Hd25 Pro Dj Headphones, Full 2-Year Warranty DAKmart which has a nice short cable instead.

Also consider the Think tank airport acceleration bag if you travel a lot. Check out this link http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/914272-post4.html

Also I'm also going to get this new pack Genus which is designed with the EX in mind.

The DV20 is a stellar tripod, enjoy it.

You may need more than one battery so consider either the Swit or this Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training with a battery plate for Sony or Bauer packs
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:45 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
You'll need the MxR adaptor(s) for item 5.
I'd replace 7. with the Slim 486 IR cut filter. Never take mine off the camera.
You'll also need an XLR lead for 4. I'd suggest replacing the stock Sony mic holder with the EX flat from DM Accessories and getting the Rode shock mount that goes into a cold shoe. Then you can easily take the mic off the camera. Much easier to pack that way.
Is this what you mean bob :-
B+W | 77mm 486 Digital UV/IR Blocking Glass Filter | B&H Photo
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:56 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Ted, dose the HOUVSMC77 fits under the Ex1 hood nicely, I mean I can but the hood back while the filler is on ?
By the way can the Porta Brace CTC-2 Traveler bag carry the EX1 and my XH-A1 too ?
Yes, it does.

Don't know about the porta-brace bag.

I second the DM-Accessories flat adapter recommendation. For my Rode mic, I used the K-Tec short shockmount designed to slide into the cold shoe adapter.

Agree about the mic lead - I use a 90 degree one.

I've not had a problem with the headphones cord, but I can see Dan's point.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds