DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Items on my cart (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/142633-items-my-cart.html)

Laffan Nasser January 29th, 2009 03:28 AM

Items on my cart

Folks ;
Those Items are on my cart , would like to have your thoughts before I submit my order ; feel free to add remove replace.
Most likely I'll shoot outdoors with bright sky
1. Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX
2. VariZoom VZ-Rock Compact Variable Rocker LANC Camera Control
3. Sony BP-U60 Lithium-Ion Battery
4. Sony SBP-16 16GB SxS PRO Memory Card
5. Hoya 77mm Introductory Filter Kit - Ultraviolet (UV), Circular Polarizer
6. Petrol PWR-HDV Rolling Wingbag
7. Vortex Media DVD: Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1
8. Miller SOLO DV20 Carbon Fiber Tripod System - consists of: DS-20 Fluid Head
9. Rode NTG-2 - Shotgun Condenser Microphone Basic Kit

Thanks in advance

Andy Wilkinson January 29th, 2009 03:47 AM

You will need wind protection for the NTG-2. Maybe the Rode WS6 (I have the WS7 for my NTG-3 - very good).

You will need to get a suspension mount for the mic as well, the Rode one is a very good choice.

I have the Petrol roller bag. It's very good but I have had to completely remove the central divide to be able to get my EX3 in it. It might well be the same for an albeit smaller EX1. There are pics of my EX3 in this petrol bag on this forum.

Consider MxR rather than the 16GB SxS. Maybe get an 8GB SxS (for overcranking) and then some much, much cheaper MxR etc. sticks with say 16GB SDHC cards in them. Check this forum for all the details.

Also, check the recent thread about polariser filters and the EX1/EX3's. Make sure you get the right type (a tried and tested circular polariser).

Have fun!

Laffan Nasser January 29th, 2009 04:07 AM

Thank you Andy, where to find the MxR ?

Alexander Kubalsky January 29th, 2009 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1003048)
Folks ;

I have everything except the three above. Just incase you want some other choices...

2. I have the Libec version.
4. Check out this http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...sxs-cards.html
6. I have the Kata HB 207 and its perfect.

Alex

Brian Cassar January 29th, 2009 04:41 AM

If you are going to shoot outdoors and will be filming people wearing black fabrics beware of the IR contamination. You will need the B+W 486 (mine is on its way and so I cannot comment much on it except that I was told by B+W themselves to buy this filter instead of the Tru-cut 750 IR as this does not work for the EX1/3 but works well only for RED). However IR contamination does exists and is horrible! Certain blacks turn to brown in sunligt and halogen light.

Malcolm Dyer January 29th, 2009 04:43 AM

The EX1 is not LANC control. It is a custom connection. I use the Libec also.
I am sure Varizoom have one especially for the EX1 also if youwant to stay with them.

Malcolm

Laffan Nasser January 29th, 2009 04:53 AM

I replaced VariZoom with Libec , but not sure about this item
Hoya | 77mm Introductory Filter Kit | GIK77GB | B&H Photo Video

Malcolm Dyer January 29th, 2009 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1003064)
I replaced VariZoom with Libec , but not sure about this item
Hoya | 77mm Introductory Filter Kit | GIK77GB | B&H Photo Video

I purchased B+W filters from B+H
UV-Haze slim with MRC
Neutral Density 4x with MRC (not slim but it fits)
You need to be careful as some filters will not fit under the hood.
Some other members had to return filters for this reason.

Malcolm

Laffan Nasser January 29th, 2009 05:25 AM

This is what I want to avoid Malcolm , so I'm looking for members recommendation , as mentioned the outdoor sky is very bright very few clouds.
By the way I have the Hoya 77mm (Moose) Warm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter, will it fit on the ex1 ?
I replaced Hoya 77mm Introductory Filter Kit - Ultraviolet (UV), Circular Polarizer , with B+W 77mm UV Haze 010 Glass Filter Slim
and Porta Brace CTC-2 Traveler Camera Case instead of Petrol PWR-HDV Rolling Wingbag

Laffan Nasser January 29th, 2009 09:03 AM

any last comments/advise ?

Craig Seeman January 29th, 2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1003053)
Thank you Andy, where to find the MxR ?

E-Films

Duncan Craig January 29th, 2009 09:24 AM

You could look at Swit batteries instead of Sonys, cheaper and more AH's. They also have a d-tap output for external kit?

I've got my EX1 yesterday, can't believe how easy it has been with the MxR to get footage into my original dual 2GHz G5 Mac. (Just about) playing back realtime with CC and mixes through my old AJA IO in SD!

Amazed...

Ted OMalley January 29th, 2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1003048)
Folks ;
Those Items are on my cart , would like to have your thoughts before I submit my order ; feel free to add remove replace.
Most likely I'll shoot outdoors with bright sky
1. Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX
3. Sony BP-U60 Lithium-Ion Battery
5. Hoya 77mm Introductory Filter Kit - Ultraviolet (UV), Circular Polarizer
7. Vortex Media DVD: Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1
8. Miller SOLO DV20 Carbon Fiber Tripod System - consists of: DS-20 Fluid Head
9. Rode NTG-2 - Shotgun Condenser Microphone Basic Kit

Thanks in advance

2. - Others have mentioned LANC issue - and you've changed to Libec.
4. - You'll have at least one if not two 8GB SXS cards already. Have you considered spending a small portion of that on the MxR system and having many more hours of recording?
5. - For my EX3, I just bought the Hoya HOUVSMC77 - S-HMC UV filter. Like it.
9. - Any reason you chose this over the NTG-1? Same sound, NTG-1 is smaller, as it doesn't include phantom power. EX cams provide phantom power, as do many (most?) mixers. a shorter mic might be nice on a small camera. Certainly easier to keep out of frame. Definitely will want a shockmount, windscreen, and solution other than using the Sony-provided mic holder is it is too flimsy to support much.

Laffan Nasser January 29th, 2009 09:43 AM

Yes I will consider MxR system , shall I drop the 8GB SXS card and buy more SanDisk 16GB Ultra II Secure Digital (SDHC) Cards ?

Duncan Craig January 29th, 2009 10:36 AM

I'm lucky that I bought my EX1 without SxS cards. I'm holding out on buying SxS cards until they get bigger and cheaper! Eventually?

I ordered one MxR card (which arrived really fast BTW) and tried it in the EX1 yesterday with some crappy old 4GB SD card.

The card is obviously a little too slow, as I get error messages (media needs to be restored) if I make short recordings. However longer recording seem fine. The starts and ends of takes seem to be cut off, but again I guess that's the fault of the SD card speed and writing the TOC etc.

Anyway, I've ordered two more MxR and 2 x Transcend Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Memory Card - 16GB - Class 6 - £47.98 delivered. Nice. Hopefully they will sort out the minor issues I am having.