Display HD footage Consumer HD TV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 1st, 2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Display HD footage Consumer HD TV

I have a client who wants a 3 minute looping video for a trade show. They want HD footage to appear on their consumer HD TV, 45" wide.

I have given them a standard DVD but it is "Too fuzzy" for them.

They are Dell PC based, I am all Apple, using EX-1. I am requesting suggestions on how to best or easily accomplish this.

1. Could I give them a H264 encoded 1080p or 720p video and they download Quicktime and play it to output to the Sony HD TV from their laptops? (I don't know what connectors would be necessary)

2. Possibly they could buy a Blu-Ray player that up-converts a standard DVD to make it less Fuzzy. (any suggestions on best player)

or..
3. Should I use the Toast 10 Blu-Ray build to standard DVD for HD performance and they buy a Blu-Ray player. Will the Toast builder do a looping video?

4. I have Adobe Encore but it has proven very buggy and a pain compared to my experience with DVD SP 4.0

Thanks for any advice.

CC
Chip Curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Chip, I'd say option #3 is your best bet. Toast 10 has options with or without menus to:

a) "Auto-play disc on insert"
b) "Play all items continuously"

Play true EX-XDCAM HD video on a cheap DVD via a Blu-ray player. I will look great. Check what HD display resolutions are available on their HDTV and shoot your video accordingly. Good Luck & Cheers!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Barry,
Are there any caveats as to which Blu Ray player they should purchase? Eg, I am seeing this "Profile 1.1 or 2.0" option
CC
Chip Curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Profile 2.0 is for discs that have Blu-disc's with interactive internet features. Yes there are some commercially available Blu-ray discs now appearing with internet features. However, for us mere mortals these are features not yet supported by Blu-ray authoring software. A profile 1.1 player will do fine.

A word of caution is to ensure the firmware of your Blu-ray player is up to date. Some of the earlier models shipped before the final profile 1.1 spec was nailed down. It is very easy to upgrade the Blu-ray player's firmware so there is no need for concern if needs to be done. Cheers!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Or you could use Western Digital HD TV, a $100 (or so) box that you connect to the HDTV with HDMI.
The box has 2 USB ports and you can attach a USB stick or external Hard Disk and play a number of formats in HD (even 1080P).
I have it at home and use FC. I have played both 720 and 1080 EX footage on my 42 HDTV using this box and it looks great.
Chck out the thread called someting like "the magic box for viewing EX footage"
PS you canīt play the native files on the box, but I guess you have edited the footage already and should be good to go.

There is also a similar box called Popcorn 110 or something, but I havenīt used it
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

...or VLC Player with a notebook PC connected to the TV.
Steve Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:00 PM   #7
Trustee

If you go the Blu-Ray route, I'd bring the finished disc with out and try it in the store Blu-Ray player before you buy.

I don't have any first hand experience with it yet, but the Western Digital unit sure sounds like a good way to go. Too bad the only option is to connect a hard drive. A SD card would be a slick option. (maybe you can use a USB thumb drive?)
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:47 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
If you go the Blu-Ray route, I'd bring the finished disc with out and try it in the store Blu-Ray player before you buy.

I don't have any first hand experience with it yet, but the Western Digital unit sure sounds like a good way to go. Too bad the only option is to connect a hard drive. A SD card would be a slick option. (maybe you can use a USB thumb drive?)
I have successfully used a USB thumb drive to view EX footage with the WD HDTV.
I do remember someone saying a message (the file name I think) is displayed for 3 seconds when the loop starts over. Not sure as I havenīt looped anything yet.
The Popcorn 110 device have a hard drive in the box, the WD donīt.
They come with remotes so no computer need
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:11 AM   #9
Major Player

This is easy...

Apple TV

Apple TV - Apple Store (U.S.)
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:15 AM   #10
Trustee

Apple TV is only 730p
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:10 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Apple TV is only 730p
Have you seen EX1 video on a HD set with Apple TV?

I have video shot with my Z1, and video shot with my EX1. I have compared video displyed on my LCD monitor at 1080 and an 42" LCD HDTV that plays Apple TV files. The biggest quality difference I can see isn't between the 1080i & 720p ...it's between video shot with the Z1 and video shot with the EX1.

Put some quality video shot with the EX1 on an HD set with an Apple TV and you won't scoff at it.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:26 AM   #12
Major Player

I do trade shows every Sunday and its very easy. I use a Popcorn Hour A-110.

Ok edit your clip, export to H.264 HD clip. Import into Popcorn Hour and put the clip on loop. Plus Popcorn Hour into the TV via HDMI.

Works a treat and Popcorn Hour plays virtually everything thrown at it. I use mne at home between trade shows to stream movies to my plasma.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds