DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   lines, 'tearing' that appear when panning or tracking. can I stop this? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/142899-lines-tearing-appear-when-panning-tracking-can-i-stop.html)

Malcolm Hamilton February 2nd, 2009 11:15 AM

lines, 'tearing' that appear when panning or tracking. can I stop this?

Hi there,
Love my camera, but I'm bothered by the fact that there seem to be annoying lines, or "tearing" when I pan or track...
I think I've read about this before, but since I can't remember the right word(s), my attempt to do a search didn't work. Would someone kindly tell me what this is called, and whether there's a way to avoid having it happen? It's really annoying, especially as I like to do fairly fast pans on occasion.
Thanks, Malcolm

Vito DeFilippo February 2nd, 2009 11:56 AM

Where are you seeing this? On your computer screen?

I see this all the time on LCDs, and it's got nothing to do with the video itself. If you hook your camera up to a tv, do you still see it?

Alister Chapman February 2nd, 2009 11:57 AM

Do you mean Skew? There's not much you can do about it, it's the nature of CMOS sensors. Personally I very rarely notice it, even doing fast pans of aircraft or out of the car window. However if you have very strong vertical lines and very fast pans or tracks you may just start to see verticals lean.

Malcolm Hamilton February 2nd, 2009 03:11 PM

Hi — just checking back in (had some chores to do) and glad to see your posts. Vito... I hope it's what you suggest. Indeed I do screen (and edit) my stuff on an LCD (an Apple Cinema Display, which I think is an LCD)... if this is what's causing these things, I'll be thrilled. I can hook my camera up to a TV, but my TV is an LCD. And if I screen some of these shots on my camera display... same problem, right? Hmmm.
Alister, thank you... at least I now know to google (or search) "skew". But I bet my problem is this LCD conundrum.
Thanks for the help. And if anyone has any ideas re where I can look at my footage to check it, please let me know (I guess if I find a friend who has a plasma set).
Malcolm

Perrone Ford February 2nd, 2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton (Post 1005435)
Hi — just checking back in (had some chores to do) and glad to see your posts. Vito... I hope it's what you suggest. Indeed I do screen (and edit) my stuff on an LCD (an Apple Cinema Display, which I think is an LCD)... if this is what's causing these things, I'll be thrilled. I can hook my camera up to a TV, but my TV is an LCD. And if I screen some of these shots on my camera display... same problem, right? Hmmm.
Alister, thank you... at least I now know to google (or search) "skew". But I bet my problem is this LCD conundrum.
Thanks for the help. And if anyone has any ideas re where I can look at my footage to check it, please let me know (I guess if I find a friend who has a plasma set).
Malcolm

Connect you camera to a standard def TV. If it's skew, it'll show up there. If it's something else, it won't.

Malcolm Hamilton February 2nd, 2009 04:03 PM

Thanks Perrone... I'll go rooting around in the basement. Might still have a small old one, if I didn't give it away.
Cheers, Malcolm

Vito DeFilippo February 2nd, 2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton (Post 1005435)
I can hook my camera up to a TV, but my TV is an LCD.

That shouldn't matter. The tearing on your computer is probably a video card performance issue. Your tv should be able to play it smoothly. It's worth a shot to see if you see a difference, and it just takes a minute to try.

I could be wrong, though. Happens a lot...

Adam Reuter February 2nd, 2009 08:45 PM

Yep, I've seen this phenomenon ever since the days of standard def DV. It's a graphics card/computer display glitch (I think mostly on the software-side of things) and the only proper way to edit/view video is to have your computer hooked up to a "real video monitor."

Alister Chapman February 3rd, 2009 02:03 AM

I've seen the tearing effect with computer monitors too. It's quite common.

Nick Wilson February 3rd, 2009 04:36 AM

Do you mean the comb effect you get from interlaced video, where anything moving across the frame appears as two images overlaid? The Apple display does not de-interlace by default, whereas flat screen TVs do. If this seems to be the issue, shoot some fast pans using one of the progressive modes and see if the effect disappears.

Nick

Alister Chapman February 3rd, 2009 05:10 AM

Forgotten about that one Nick, I haven't shot interlace for so long that I forgot what a bear monitoring interlace on a PC can be!

Steven Thomas February 3rd, 2009 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 1005556)
That shouldn't matter. The tearing on your computer is probably a video card performance issue. Your tv should be able to play it smoothly. It's worth a shot to see if you see a difference, and it just takes a minute to try.

I could be wrong, though. Happens a lot...

Vito is spot on... This is a video card perfomance issue and nothing to do with any cameras footage. I've seen this "tearing" with video cards.

Malcolm Hamilton February 3rd, 2009 11:44 AM

thanks again, everyone. I shoot progressive too by the way, so I don't think it's interlacing.
Now... if I want to get a video monitor, is that going to cost a bundle? What's the least I can spend to get something half-decent?
Regards, Malcolm