lines, 'tearing' that appear when panning or tracking. can I stop this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:15 AM   #1
Major Player

lines, 'tearing' that appear when panning or tracking. can I stop this?

Hi there,
Love my camera, but I'm bothered by the fact that there seem to be annoying lines, or "tearing" when I pan or track...
I think I've read about this before, but since I can't remember the right word(s), my attempt to do a search didn't work. Would someone kindly tell me what this is called, and whether there's a way to avoid having it happen? It's really annoying, especially as I like to do fairly fast pans on occasion.
Thanks, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Trustee

Where are you seeing this? On your computer screen?

I see this all the time on LCDs, and it's got nothing to do with the video itself. If you hook your camera up to a tv, do you still see it?
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Do you mean Skew? There's not much you can do about it, it's the nature of CMOS sensors. Personally I very rarely notice it, even doing fast pans of aircraft or out of the car window. However if you have very strong vertical lines and very fast pans or tracks you may just start to see verticals lean.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi — just checking back in (had some chores to do) and glad to see your posts. Vito... I hope it's what you suggest. Indeed I do screen (and edit) my stuff on an LCD (an Apple Cinema Display, which I think is an LCD)... if this is what's causing these things, I'll be thrilled. I can hook my camera up to a TV, but my TV is an LCD. And if I screen some of these shots on my camera display... same problem, right? Hmmm.
Alister, thank you... at least I now know to google (or search) "skew". But I bet my problem is this LCD conundrum.
Thanks for the help. And if anyone has any ideas re where I can look at my footage to check it, please let me know (I guess if I find a friend who has a plasma set).
Malcolm
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:35 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Hi — just checking back in (had some chores to do) and glad to see your posts. Vito... I hope it's what you suggest. Indeed I do screen (and edit) my stuff on an LCD (an Apple Cinema Display, which I think is an LCD)... if this is what's causing these things, I'll be thrilled. I can hook my camera up to a TV, but my TV is an LCD. And if I screen some of these shots on my camera display... same problem, right? Hmmm.
Alister, thank you... at least I now know to google (or search) "skew". But I bet my problem is this LCD conundrum.
Thanks for the help. And if anyone has any ideas re where I can look at my footage to check it, please let me know (I guess if I find a friend who has a plasma set).
Malcolm
Connect you camera to a standard def TV. If it's skew, it'll show up there. If it's something else, it won't.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Perrone... I'll go rooting around in the basement. Might still have a small old one, if I didn't give it away.
Cheers, Malcolm
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
I can hook my camera up to a TV, but my TV is an LCD.
That shouldn't matter. The tearing on your computer is probably a video card performance issue. Your tv should be able to play it smoothly. It's worth a shot to see if you see a difference, and it just takes a minute to try.

I could be wrong, though. Happens a lot...
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:45 PM   #8
Major Player

Yep, I've seen this phenomenon ever since the days of standard def DV. It's a graphics card/computer display glitch (I think mostly on the software-side of things) and the only proper way to edit/view video is to have your computer hooked up to a "real video monitor."
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:03 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I've seen the tearing effect with computer monitors too. It's quite common.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:36 AM   #10
Major Player

Do you mean the comb effect you get from interlaced video, where anything moving across the frame appears as two images overlaid? The Apple display does not de-interlace by default, whereas flat screen TVs do. If this seems to be the issue, shoot some fast pans using one of the progressive modes and see if the effect disappears.

Nick
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:10 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Forgotten about that one Nick, I haven't shot interlace for so long that I forgot what a bear monitoring interlace on a PC can be!
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:06 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
That shouldn't matter. The tearing on your computer is probably a video card performance issue. Your tv should be able to play it smoothly. It's worth a shot to see if you see a difference, and it just takes a minute to try.

I could be wrong, though. Happens a lot...
Vito is spot on... This is a video card perfomance issue and nothing to do with any cameras footage. I've seen this "tearing" with video cards.

Last edited by Steven Thomas; February 3rd, 2009 at 07:27 PM.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:44 AM   #13
Major Player

thanks again, everyone. I shoot progressive too by the way, so I don't think it's interlacing.
Now... if I want to get a video monitor, is that going to cost a bundle? What's the least I can spend to get something half-decent?
Regards, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds