Filter for IR contamination - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 25th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #241
Trustee

Vincent, Can't say you weren't warned though (unfortunately not be Sony).
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #242
Trustee

I was warned fair and square, although not at the time of purchase with the EX3.

I will find a way around this problem. I just can't believe Sony would let such an obvious flaw as this through their hands, after all they are supposed to be the leading light in the video industry.
Old June 25th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #243
Major Player

Oliver, unless, at the time of writing, you do not buy the 486 then there is no way you can find a way to this problem. In my case I just couldn't stop recording a wedding and ask the groom to change his rented black suit because the present one is turning brown in my viewfinder. The 486 resolves this problem quite well with some limitations. Hopefully the Tiffen one would be even better. I have no hope in Sony ever correcting this issue for the EX1 and EX3. They might address this issue in the next EX series camera.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #244
Trustee

Vincent -
Just keep telling yourself "but... its a feature - not a problem!"

Brian is right. Right now the 486 is the only solution but soon there will be something better from Tiffen and others chasing their tail.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #245
Major Player

Yesterday, I climbed on top of my house and shouted from my rooftop that I hoped no more posts would appear on this subect . . . it apparently did not work.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #246
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Barkley View Post
Yesterday, I climbed on top of my house and shouted from my rooftop that I hoped no more posts would appear on this subect . . . it apparently did not work.
I didn't hear you Brian.

Yesterday I spent three hours recording a production of Grease, and yes most of the cast were all in black T-shirts or sweaters. My Canon footage looks fine but the Sony footage is unusable. I will now spend another three hours on Friday doing the same job.

Here are two stills from the show. (sorry, I have blanked out the faces)
Attached Thumbnails
Filter for IR contamination-canon-frame2.tif   Filter for IR contamination-sony-frame2.tif  

Old June 25th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #247
Trustee

I simply keep 486 filter on my EX1 at all times, out of necessity. You never know when will the black contamination issue occur, so... as always - better be safe than sorry.

Here's the source where to get it, or here's another source as well.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #248
Major Player

these screw on filters are great unless your going to attach something to the front of the lens, ie: wide angle, telephoto, and even a 35mm adapter. looks like i'll be buying a 3-stage mattebox instead of a 2-stage to go along with my Letus. thanks Sony.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 04:21 AM   #249
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
...most of the cast were all in black T-shirts or sweaters...the Sony footage is unusable....
I just did a school concert of Grease and the first night I recorded it without the filter and yes, most of the blacks colours were useless but the 2nd and 3rd night I recorded it I used the 486 filter and it worked out great, a big improvement.

Just had a look at the sony still Vincent and yes, thats what mine looked like too, before the filter was fitted.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #250
Trustee

I can see that the 486 filter is an essential item for this camera, just as the DM baseplate, and other software to make HD to SD acceptable. I wonder what else I can spend my money on?
Old June 27th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #251
Regular Crew

Vincent may change your opinion after you see a black coat groom :-).I just bought 486, should not be used permanently, but it's good to be in the bag when needed
Attached Thumbnails
Filter for IR contamination-08.jpg   Filter for IR contamination-13.jpg  

Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #252
Trustee

I have changed my mind after my disastrous job, a 486 filter would seem to be the answer. I will be asking Sony to rectify the situation, by either supplying a filter or adjusting the camera. I re-shot the job last night on my Canon XH A1 and the footage is perfect. Having spent £6000 + on the EX3 I would expect a better result. I personally don’t see the logic in having to spend an extra £120 to solve a problem that shouldn’t be present.
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #253
Regular Crew

You absolutely right, the problem is the sony to remedy.Se seems not to think about us and to our needs .. just to our money :-)
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #254
Trustee

Vincent,
While I think it is worth complaining to Sony (don't forget to talk to your dealer as well) you won't want to wait for their answer if you have other jobs which might be helped by buying the filter yourself asap. The reputation you are saving is yours not theirs. Good luck
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #255
Trustee

You are right Daniel, but I think there is also a point of principal involved here. Should we just shrug our shoulders and let Sony of the hook. I am sure that many other manufacturers would have been hauled over the hot stove for supplying goods which have a built in flaw.

Don't get me wrong, I love the EX3 and would buy it again tomorrow if I needed to. I just find their excuse for the Red issue a bit weak - it's a feature of this camera. This is like saying a car with no side windows delivers better ventilation.

I guess I will fork out for the 486 filter, although from what I am reading here, that is not the perfect answer either.

Have a good weekend

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds