Filter for IR contamination - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 27th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #256
Regular Crew

Having just forked out for the 486 filter, what if anything can one do about Chroma aberration?
Attached Thumbnails
Filter for IR contamination-chrom-aberration-ex3.jpg  
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #257
Regular Crew

As fellow professionals we should stop making excuses for Sony and all agree that for the needs of a working professional the high degree of Far Red contamination is a flaw in the EX design.

Pointing to the characteristic less pronounced in higher end cameras as leverage against this issue does not solve the problem. It is a problem and it has for many permanently damaged their confidence in Sony cameras. Personally I am considering selling my EX.

There are comparable choices in the market without all the unnecessary headaches. As the issue gains notoriety in the industry I suspect Producers will start to stay away from cameramen with EX gear because they simply won't want to deal with the extra issue when they have many other owner/operator choices out there.

As the end-user oriented company they always claim to be it is tragic that the only peep Sony has made is an implication that "it's a feature, not a problem". In exchange for maroon blacks my reds will come out better? This is as ridiculous as it sounds. Faithful blacks are basic. Before you get to amping the resolution, solid state and full raster you have to get your blacks straight.

Blacks are fundamental in any image, whether it has black in it or not. There is no arguing that by any engineer. Although this is a far red issue and not overall blacks the point is this -- it is has to do with black reproduction and should have been noticed, probably was, and addressed during the blacks testing phase.

Juan Martinez, Sr. Product Mgr intimately knowledgeable with the EX project, is a member of this forum. Juan, you should make some type of response about this. I apologize for sounding strong but we EX owners are trying to communicate to the company that this is frustrating many, many Sony customers.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #258
Major Player

Please read
ProVideo Coalition.com: Stunning Good Looks by Art Adams | Cinematography
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #259
Trustee

Thank you for that link Dennis.

I will hold off from buying the 486 as at first sight the Tiffen filter produces a better looking image.

Regarding the question "I’d be curious to see which version of the chart you prefer: saturated reds, or desaturated reds. " Of course the vibrant colours in the clean shot are nicer, but this vibrancy can be acheived in the filtered shot by increasing the saturation by 5 to 10% whilst still keep the black black.
Old June 28th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #260
Regular Crew

I made a new test with the filter 486 applied to EX1.
Attached Thumbnails
Filter for IR contamination-01.bmp   Filter for IR contamination-02.bmp  

Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 03:47 PM   #261
Major Player

tiffin IR filter ...

Any idea or news as to when tiffin will release their new IR Non-hot mirror filter for the EX1/3?
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:06 AM   #262
Regular Crew

Another example of green

In case it helps, I've attached a frame grab from some footage that I shot recently. Please ignore the terrible lighting (or lack thereof) and exposure. :)

This was shot on an EX-1 at a fairly wide zoom, if not fully wide, because I couldn't get any further behind the foreground actor - I was sitting on the desk behind him as it was. Having read this kind of information before, I keep a 486 on my camera at all times, just in case. If/when I get to the point of having lens adapters, I'll deal with the issue again at that point, I'm sure.

There's another shot that I did that day fully-zoomed that showed a non-colored vignette when the camera moved (it was a hand-held shot), but I'm not sure that's a related issue - I'll probably try to reproduce in the future and narrow down the issue to the 486 or just something inherent to the lens on the EX-1.

The green is clearly visible on the right side on the ceiling tiles and also contaminates the dark blue on the left shoulder of the shirt in the foreground.

This shot is completely uncorrected off the camera - I've done some contrast/red-tint primary correction for this shot in After Effects - and I'll probably put an additional color correction, masked with a large feather, to get rid of the green on the edges, prior to the primary color correction layer. Had I not been doing color correction in AE, it would have probably been more of a pain, although since I'm using Colorista I probably could use it's masking features as well in something like Final Cut.

Hopefully this helps a little bit - at least to show people an example of the green with the 486. If people are interested, I'll report back with the results of a masked color-correction to the green so you can A/B the results. Just let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Filter for IR contamination-green-tint-raw-footage.png  
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM   #263
Major Player

Most probably you did not need to put on the 486 at all since from the attached frame grab it seems that you were working under neon light. I never had problems with such light - it's the halogen and tungsten (and natural sunlight) that produce the problem.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:43 PM   #264
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
Most probably you did not need to put on the 486 at all since from the attached frame grab it seems that you were working under neon light. I never had problems with such light - it's the halogen and tungsten (and natural sunlight) that produce the problem.
To be honest I hadn't thought about it - I have the 486 on there all the time right now as I'd rather be safe than sorry - my belief is that fixing the green vignette, if it shows up at all, is much easier than fixing the IR contamination if I forgot to put on the 486.

Your point is noted, though.

But if I had taken it off, I wouldn't have a nice example to work on to see how the correction works and wouldn't have anything to share on the board! How tragic would that have been?!? :)
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:52 PM   #265
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
I think you meant to say "fluorescent" light and not neon.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:15 PM   #266
Regular Crew

I didn't even catch that myself - I read it as "fluorescent". :)

It's been a while since I had researched this, but if his original point was correct, it's pretty much any type of light other than fluorescent that would potentially create this problem for the EX-1? Makes the green cast of fluoro bulbs seem like a Godsend at this point, doesn't it? :)
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM   #267
Trustee

As far as I know the problem only shows up with tungsten and sunlight. You shoud be quite safe with fluro, LED and HMI lighting.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:33 PM   #268
Regular Crew

i just got my boss ex3 for a few tests, and im also waiting the tiffen filter to come out.

we just film with halogen and daylight, so, its brown everywhere :(

hurry tiffen, hurry! ;)
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:30 PM   #269
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mitchell View Post
I didn't even catch that myself - I read it as "fluorescent". :)

It's been a while since I had researched this, but if his original point was correct, it's pretty much any type of light other than fluorescent that would potentially create this problem for the EX-1? Makes the green cast of fluoro bulbs seem like a Godsend at this point, doesn't it? :)
No problem. I saw that and had to scratch my head for a minute. I'm thinking about swaping out the lamphead in my Lowel RifaLite to put in the fluoro module and remove the tungstens. That way, I might be able to light my talking heads without the IR issues.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:31 PM   #270
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
As far as I know the problem only shows up with tungsten and sunlight. You shoud be quite safe with fluro, LED and HMI lighting.
I have seen this problem with both fluro and HMIs. Haven't tried LED yet....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds