Filter for IR contamination - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 16th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #286
Major Player

I did this short test after I got my 486 filter. All the black fabrics turned brown except for the fabric on the seat itself:

IR contamination of Sony EX1 on Vimeo

dave
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #287
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
I did this short test after I got my 486 filter. All the black fabrics turned brown except for the fabric on the seat itself:

IR contamination of Sony EX1 on Vimeo

dave
Very nice test, Dave, thanks. Makes me feel better for my 486 purchase, despite the fact that the camera itself still has a pretty big issue there. Also shows me that you can't necessarily predict the type of light that will cause the problem... ugh
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #288
Major Player

I followed that test a day later when I took the tripod bag outside in the sun and it turned brown in daylight as well. The 486 cleared it up okay, but you still have to adjust out that slight green tint, too.

"It's a feature, not a bug!"
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #289
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
I followed that test a day later when I took the tripod bag outside in the sun and it turned brown in daylight as well. The 486 cleared it up okay, but you still have to adjust out that slight green tint, too.

"It's a feature, not a bug!"
Thanks for doing that little live demo. As I always suspected I detect a green tint over the entire picture with the 486. This is easier to see here than in frame grabs where the eye tends to adjust quickly to compensate for such slight tints. I do not see the blacks coming back but the entire picture turning green and distorting all colors in the picture. That's just how it looks to my eyes. Certainly, the brown blacks are gone. I'm suspecting the Tiffen will be similar.
Max Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #290
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Griswold View Post
GRAY SUIT TURNS BROWN. Major convention footage shown here ... mixed lighting with tungsten and 5600 sources. Daylight preset balance (also tried setting WB with same result) Luckily client speced the EX-3... what would I do if I pitched this camera and this happened?

I have shot for two days with no color shifts before this one. I am now wondering if certain fabrics react differently (cotton, wool, etc.). I was thinking that this problem was infrequent and overblown-- not any more. I will review all 20 pages of this thread, but I think if Sony does not offer a "patch" that class action litigation may be in order. In 25 years shooting broadcast video I have never seen anything this extreme. Yikes! The old Ikegami never looked like this. I guess I have 486 filter in my future.
I just looked at your clip. Looks pretty bad if suit was gray.

But look at the skin tone.

I took a still from your video and analyzed it in PSD with eyedropper, 1st image.

And then I used Eyedropper points to white balance by numbers only in the Highlights, second image.

You will notice the skin tones are also much better when numbers balance.

It is really hard to mix Tungsten and Daylight, in a situation where you don't control lighting this is almost impossible. Where do you put white card. I sometimes find as little as 3' makes a huge difference.

The only way to fix this stuff is in post Color or similar.

I just played with image in PSD, the numbers are interesting though. I used technique I use for stills scans or digital photos.

Pick 3 points and adjust color balance until numbers check out even.

In this shot I would probably also desaturate a bit. Some of it is also a little blown out. I know you could make it look really good in Color.

Look at the adjustment numbers they give you a good indication of where problems lie. Mostly not much blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Filter for IR contamination-uncorrected.png   Filter for IR contamination-balanced.png  

Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #291
Major Player

olaf
you got the suit grey but I liked the flesh tones of the brown jacket shot MUCH better
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #292
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kukla View Post
olaf
you got the suit grey but I liked the flesh tones of the brown jacket shot MUCH better
I was not trying to make the shot look great I was just applying white balance.

I think the skin tone in the corrected shot is truer (maybe not nicer), when you wear a blue shirt. The shadow under your chin will be bluish. And the backdrop was blue, this would produce a bit of blue spill around the edges of face, and hands.

If you really color corrected this shot you could apply secondaries to any number of different elements or colors to achieve any "look" you want even warm skin tones and true blacks and grays.

The main point I was making is you cant judge a shot that has improper white balance, and blame it on your camera. You can it fix in post, when it is not possible to set properly when shooting (always the best option).
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds