Filter for IR contamination - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 24th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #106
Trustee

I'm looking for the B+W 486 filter recommended. Not really sure what to order here in the UK but was wondering if this is the correct filter to get. £62.96

B+W 010 UV MRC SL 77mm Ultra Violet Filter (Multi-Resistant Coating - Slim Mount)

Thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #107
Major Player

Hi, Anthony-
That filter you listed is incorrect. That one is a simple UV filter which will do nothing to reduce the IR contamination. This is the one you want:
B+W 486 UV/IR MRC SH 77mm Ultraviolet / Infrared Cut Filter

I have discussed this at length with Ryan Avery, the US rep for Schneider (B+W) filters. While he admits that there currently is no 'holy grail' filter for the EX for IR contamination, the 486 is the best option with the caveat that you cannot shoot full wide without some cyan vignetting. If you keep that in mind and shoot accordingly, this seems like the way to go. I have ordered the 4x4 version of this filter (called the Tru-Cut 680) and will post some results when I have had a chance to test it. I am hopeful that in most circumstances this filter will do the trick. One other thing: since this is a 'hot mirror' filter (it has reflective coatings) it MUST be the first filter light hits, so if you are using any other filter along with this, it must be positioned behind the 486.

I was tempted to try the Tiffen IRND filters described here:
ProVideo Coalition.com: Stunning Good Looks by Art Adams | Cinematography
but in the end went with Ryan's suggestion. The Tiffen filters cannot be used with any other ND filter (even the built-in ones on the camera) which severely limits the versatility of the filter, unless you have unlimited resources and can afford several of these filters each with a different level of ND. At around $300US each, that wasn't an attractive option.
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #108
Trustee

Thank you Derek for giving me the correct link and the tips regarding using other filters along with it.

So do you think the Tru-Cut 680 might also eliminate cyan vignetting in the wide shots.

Thanks again.
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #109
Trustee

Should have asked, does this filter stay on the lens at all times or are there certain times its needed, and fitted then.

Thanks.
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #110
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Should have asked, does this filter stay on the lens at all times or are there certain times its needed, and fitted then.

Thanks.
Anthony,

When I first bought the 486 (screw-on) filter, I was hoping to be able to keep it permanently on the lens. However, considering the vignetting at wide angles and the fact no other optical element must be present in front of it, I soon realize this is not viable.

BTW, Derek is buying the 4x4" version to be used with a matte box, I assume, which is the best solution especially when one is using a 35mm adaptor/lens. If only some manufacturer came out with a non-hot mirror (i.e. without the dichroic coating which causes vignetting), neutral-ND version...
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #111
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Anthony,

When I first bought the 486 (screw-on) filter, I was hoping to be able to keep it permanently on the lens. However, considering the vignetting at wide angles.... I soon realize this is not viable
Thanks Piotr for that, not the owner of a EX3,.. just yet, so when exactly does this filter be used, indoors or out.

Just placed the order for the 486 filter. Thanks Derek BTW.
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #112
Inner Circle

Mainly indoors, as the red contamination problem is most pronounced under tungsten light.

However, it can also be visible with some fabrics under day light, especially with strong ND filtering.
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #113
Trustee

Thanks again Piotr, so theres a bit of trial and error till you get the hang of it :)
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #114
Trustee

Is the 486 as effective outdoors as it is indoors. Has anyone tested that yet?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #115
Inner Circle

Yes Lenny - it's equally effective (100%).
Old March 24th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #116
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks again Piotr, so theres a bit of trial and error till you get the hang of it :)
Actually it is very easy - I keep the 486 in its protective plastic case in my pocket all the time - if and when I encounter the IR contamination I just screw it in. Yes it can be seen in daylight but is not so pronounced as under tungsten lights. Although it is true that the 486 gives you a slight green vignette at extreme wide angle, I'm pretty sure that in the case of event filming, the client will not notice it. We notice it because we know about it and we try to look for it. But if you are viewing the end product on a full HD 50" tv I'm sure that your eyes will mainly focus in the middle of the screen and will not notice the extreme edges. ...just my impression....
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #117
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
Actually it is very easy - I keep the 486 in its protective plastic case in my pocket all the time - if and when I encounter the IR contamination I just screw it in. ....
Hi Brian, again not the owner yet, of the EX3, so this can be seen right away in the EX1/3 viewfinder, blacks aren't black, so just screw the filter on when this happens.
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #118
Major Player

Piotr is right.... I ordered the 4x4 version of the 486 because I use a matte box. I feel it's much easier managing and applying filters that way, plus I already own a large array of 4x4 filters. Also, then they can then be used with any lens I happen to mount on the camera.
I also agree with Piotr that you should not just leave this filter on all the time.... there are several reasons why which have already been addressed. It's best to have it on hand, and use it if/when you see the issue. Kind of like using a polarizer.... there are certain applications when a polarizer works great, but it's not something you'd want to keep on all the time. (speaking of polarizers.... make sure if you use one on the EX that it MUST be a 'circular' polarizer, and NOT a 'linear' polarizer. That is a whole other issue.....

I have seen the IR contamination in all lighting conditions, so there is no 'ideal' circumstance for this to occur. I have seen it in daylight, tungsten light, even HMI lighting. I just plan on popping the Tru-Cut filter in when I see a problem, otherwise it's in my filter kit standing by.

I haven't received my filter yet, but will be more than happy to share my experience with it when it arrives.

Happy shooting-
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #119
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Brian, again not the owner yet, of the EX3, so this can be seen right away in the EX1/3 viewfinder, blacks aren't black, so just screw the filter on when this happens.
Yes Anthony. Once you are aware of the issue you'll see it immediately in the colour viewfinder and then you'll just pop on the filter.

I would love to use 4x4 filters instead of screw in type (especially in this case) but unfortunately do not wish to buy a large matte box just for the filters. Also I do not wish to loose the function of the lens hood as I like the ability to close of the hinges when not filming. I've seen that the Z5 has a hood supplied with the wide angle accessory that accepts large filters. Does anyone know of something similar - maybe a slim filter holder that screws in front of the lens and then the hood can be mounted on top of it?
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #120
Major Player

my results, 486

I not long recieved my 486 filter and thought I'd share my experiences to add to the collection. I done alot of testing to see if it really cured the reddish brown problem under all sorts of different lighting, different fabrics etc and I can report that i was able to get ALL my blacks looking black however there are side effects. I actually filmed a very short clip to demonstrate how effective the filter was along with my thoughts on the side effects etc, you can check it out at 486 filter test 'quick & dirty' on Vimeo

I plan to film a proper testing at some point, this clip really is only to demonstrate what the filter does for those wondering if they should spend the money or not. Hope it helps
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds