Filter for IR contamination - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 20th, 2009, 06:18 AM   #46

Thank you, Ryan, for that clarification! Much appreciated.

I'm just curious, is Sony providing any input into your efforts to resolve this issue?
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #47
Major Player

A promising response to my inquiry about an IR filter 'shootout' from Art Adams at the ProVideo Coalition. He has posted two very informative and comprehensive filter shootouts with a RED and most recently a Sony F35. I asked if there would be an EX filter shootout:

"I’m working on that right now. I’m hoping to have it up in the next week. I’ve got one more set of filters to test, and so far the results have been very surprising--in a good way!"

Posted by Art Adams on 02/20 at 11:01 AM

Stay tuned! Maybe some good news on the horizon.....
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #48
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
Thank you, Ryan, for that clarification! Much appreciated.

I'm just curious, is Sony providing any input into your efforts to resolve this issue?
If you can get someone at Sony to return our calls, I would appreciate it.
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
Ouch! That's not very encouraging! :(
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:40 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
Ryan, let me see what I can do.

;o)
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Just did a video for our local symphony of which I have tried the tru-cut 750, B & W hot mirror and finally the 486 on my ex1. The 486 is the only filter that made the tuxes black, both of the others had little or no effect. I did not notice any green fringing with the 486. So unfortunately I had to spend 600+ dollars to find a solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Filter for IR contamination-fullstageweb.png  
John Hamlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:51 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hamlik View Post
Just did a video for our local symphony of which I have tried the tru-cut 750, B & W hot mirror and finally the 486 on my ex1. The 486 is the only filter that made the tuxes black, both of the others had little or no effect. I did not notice any green fringing with the 486. So unfortunately I had to spend 600+ dollars to find a solution.
Thanks for posting the your findings, John. Can you tell us if you're using any of the picture profiles from the forum (like Bill R's)?
Ben Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:40 PM   #53
Major Player

The green vignetting usually happens when wide angle is used. If you zoom in somewhat as your concert shot is, you shouldn't get the green fringe. If you were setup on stage, you probably would have gotten fringing.
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #54
Major Player

hi, does anyone have a link to purchase the 486 in the UK?
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #55
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alexander View Post
hi, does anyone have a link to purchase the 486 in the UK?
I bought mine thru Amazon.co.uk They do not actually sell it themselves but it is sold via their website thru someone else on their behalf. They do not have the slim fit but the hood still fits perfectly on the non-slim filter.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/B-W-77mm-UV-...5479909&sr=8-1
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #56
Major Player

486 ?

Hey guys,

Been watching this thread for awhile... I have the b+w 77mm uv filter (#010).

the one I have is for uv only but will not correct for the infrared issue inherent in cameras with digital sensors... correct? Will the b+w 77mm 486 uv/ir filter correct for both uv and infrared issue on my ex3? And can I also leave it on my camera at all times for lens protection?... or will it create other problems i.e. like shooting at night.

thanks

Greg
Greg Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #57
Major Player

I intended to replace my B+W UV filter which was acting as a lens protector with this 486. However considering that this 486 produces this ugly green vignetting at wide angle, I decided to put it on only when I encounter the IR contamination problem, for the rest of the time I will keep on the B+W UV filter.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #58
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chisholm View Post
Hey guys,

Been watching this thread for awhile... I have the b+w 77mm uv filter (#010).

the one I have is for uv only but will not correct for the infrared issue inherent in cameras with digital sensors... correct? Will the b+w 77mm 486 uv/ir filter correct for both uv and infrared issue on my ex3? And can I also leave it on my camera at all times for lens protection?... or will it create other problems i.e. like shooting at night.

thanks

Greg
Greg,

The UV does not correct for IR contamination. The UV/IR does both however I do not recommend it for full time use given its limitations at full wide angle. Unfortunately you need both but don't use them at the same time.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #59
Major Player

Thanks Brian :)
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #60
Major Player

Filter for IR contamination

I've been watching this thread with great interest for some time now and I appreciate the research conducted by all of you. I particularly appreciate Ryan and Schneider Optics for going way out of their way to help solve an issue that Sony should have stepped up to the plate for, long ago. Tiffen used to care like that, but it's not the same over there any more. Unless, maybe, if you're Spielberg.

Although I love my EX1 and EX3 I have spent many hours color correcting blacks clothing and fortunately, my clients have not yet complained. I have found that the "color match" plug-in in the Boris CC filters can usually return black clothing from red to very close to original black, (without killing everything else) by simply adjusting the "Red - shadow source" to a higher number. This combined with your normal color correction will usually save the day, but not always. Unfortunately, some fabrics just react so strongly to infrared light that the jacket may not match the pants of the same suit.

I too tried several filters to right this problem at significant cost, but to be honest, the camera has worked so well and looked so good in most other situations that I can't complain. It has helped us go places we couldn't previously afford to go in this business.

Ok That's my two cents.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds