best EX format to match Pan. DVX-100A (PAL; progressive)? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 4th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Major Player

best EX format to match Pan. DVX-100A (PAL; progressive)?

Hi there,
A cameraman I haven't met has shot most of a doc with his Panasonic DVX-100A, PAL format, 720x576, progressive.
He's now in the hospital, so I've been asked to finish shooting, as well as do the editing.
(I mention the editing because I use Avid Media Composer, which may not be as format-friendly as FCP, which I know many of you use; I'm on a Mac, but use Avid).

with the EX-1, I know I can select HQ1080/50, but it's only interlaced.
So I think I have to go to HQ 1080/25p, since I want progressive, and want to stay in high-quality.
Maybe I should post this on the Avid forum, because maybe it's a question that only relates to editing, but I thought I'd post here, because you people know this camera so well.

Any suggestions?
thanks, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #2

I would think you're going to be hard pressed to get the EX to match the DVX.

Why not finish the shoot with a DVX?
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Jay,
Well, I own the Sony, and I'm really used to the workflow now.
Is the Panasonic picture going to be much more saturated or something? Could I lessen this effect in post? Or is the problem more complicated than this?
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #4

Hello, Malcolm. You've heard the expression "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"? In this case, the reverse will be true.

The image from the EX1 is so vastly superior to the DVX that (and I'm guessing here, never having tried it) the footage, no matter how you try to degrade it, will never match. It's like you're trying to take 70mm footage and make it look like Super 8.

You could try a test, but I think you'll be spending more time in post than it's worth. If it were me, I'd shoot using the DVX.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Major Player

Jay, I appreciate the frank words. What a conundrum. I'll check into the cost of renting; if I do go ahead with what I've got (I keep thinking that if I keep the footage from the two cameras separated, which might be possible, as most of what has already been shot was in Poland, and I'm to pick up the shoot in Canada; maybe viewers will think, wow, the air in Canada is so clean and clear, the shots look better), I'll post back.
Cheers, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds