Bag or case? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PMW-300, PXW-X200, PXW-X180 (back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #16
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 388
An update for those who helped me and those who stumble on this thread trying to decide for themselves: I went with a Storm case from Abel, custom cut for the EX-1. I'm satisfied with the case and it has wonderfully smooth wheels.

Clockwise from the camera: Large slot big enough for a monitor. I use it for warm cards, filters and cables. Short shotgun in bottom right. Memory cards and remote control. Swit torch on camera light and filters. Battery charger. Batteries (room for 3).

The knapsack I had been using is now my location "extras" bag with wireless, other audio cables, hard drives and a few grip items.

My intent was to set the Storm case up with the essentials, so I can shoot without the accessory bag if needed.

It's amazing how quickly you accumulate little bits and pieces and need more and more bags and cases to move it around. And I don't even have a lighting kit!
Attached Thumbnails
Bag or case?-storm-ex-1-case-web.jpg   Bag or case?-storm-case-close-up-web.jpg  

Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #17
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chislehurst, London
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post

It's amazing how quickly you accumulate little bits and pieces and need more and more bags and cases to move it around. And I don't even have a lighting kit!
How about a Ford van, you can get it all in then.
__________________
Eyes are a deaf manís ears. Ears are a blind manís eyes
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #18
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 762
Bob, when I got my EX1, I went with this case:
PortaBrace - Product Detail:DVO-1RQS-M4
because it was the one I could afford at the time. However, it has proven to be a very versatile case and has a wireframe around the perimeter to keep it fairly rigid. For quick jobs around town, it works out fine as I can fit my camera, 3 batteries w/charger, shotgun mic with furry and mount, extra cards, lens cleaner, etc. with a little room to spare. I'm looking for a larger case for some upcoming projects and I too am debating about either going to a backpack, a hardcase like a Pelican OR a roller case similar to the larger Kata or Petrol models.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #19
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kingswinford, England
Posts: 25
I went for a Portabrace PB-2500 for my XAH1, I chose a hard case mainly because in the small print of my camera insurance policy it says it's not covered in my car if it's not in a hard case, the case is very good and has pick 'n' pluck foam which you can remove to the shape of the camera, my concern though is static electricity, after plucking to the shape of the camera and trying it in place when I removed it I was greeted with loads of static discharge quiet audible which I was afraid may have damaged it but it seems to have survived, I think it was the picking that built up the charge because there wasn't as much the next day, anyone else had this problem?
Mick Mearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #20
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monroe, NY
Posts: 686
I was very fortunate around six years ago in that while at a computer show some guy had a stack of heavy duty aluminum equipment cases for some sort of industrial instrument. It had sections that were heavy duty and that could easily be cut to accommodate a camera. It even had a Velcro attached bag that attached under the lid. Incredible case that would stack up against any dedicated Pelican or other case today and probably beat it in terms of durability. It even had keys to lock the latches. Not being greedy I only bought two of them for $5 US. When the other vendors at the computer show saw the two cases I was carrying around they raced over to the guy who was selling them and started a bidding war over the cases.
One has since housed my VX2000 for several years and the other now houses my EX1, PLUS a host of other things like batteries, chargers, and tapes / SDHC adapters and cards. Cables are in the Velcro bag and I still have some room left over for wide angle lenses, etc. You could literally drive a truck over these cases and it wouldn't damage them. I'll never part with them.

I did want a bag as well so I started recently going through a bunch of threads to narrow it down. I seriously considered a backpack and decided against one. Why? They are literally all too small and outrageously overpriced. I could get a Kelty External Frame pack for mountaineering for less money than these Kata or other bags cost. And still I would have a bag that is too small.

So I finally decided upon a "Doctor Type" of bag designed for cameras. I am extremely pleased with my choice - A Petrol PDRB-3.

Petrol | PDRB-3 Dr. Petrol Bag | PDRB-3 | B&H Photo Video

The posts by Ned Soltz really helped me out and I want to thank him for the e-mail he sent me regarding the bag. This bag is the perfect size for an EX1, PLUS the other things you need in your kit. Very well made and reasonably priced. As a matter of fact, B&H had the bag listed in a kit form along with the PRC-EX1 rain cover for $159. The combo was ALWAYS out of stock and still is despite being $199 now.
Petrol | PDRB-3 Dr. Petrol Bag Kit 1 | B&H Photo Video
I ended up calling the company and got a salesman who told me to order the kit and they would send the bag first and then the rain cover when it came in at the combo price of $159 (only $10 more than the bag itself for a $100 rain cover). That is what I did and I got the rain cover less than a week after the bag arrived. GREAT DEAL !

Either way, I would highly recommend the bag at $149 by itself if you don't need the rain cover.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #21
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post

So I finally decided upon a "Doctor Type" of bag designed for cameras. I am extremely pleased with my choice - A Petrol PDRB-3.

Petrol | PDRB-3 Dr. Petrol Bag | PDRB-3 | B&H Photo Video

The posts by Ned Soltz really helped me out and I want to thank him for the e-mail he sent me regarding the bag. This bag is the perfect size for an EX1, PLUS the other things you need in your kit. Very well made and reasonably priced. As a matter of fact, B&H had the bag listed in a kit form along with the PRC-EX1 rain cover for $159. The combo was ALWAYS out of stock and still is despite being $199 now.
Petrol | PDRB-3 Dr. Petrol Bag Kit 1 | B&H Photo Video
I ended up calling the company and got a salesman who told me to order the kit and they would send the bag first and then the rain cover when it came in at the combo price of $159 (only $10 more than the bag itself for a $100 rain cover). That is what I did and I got the rain cover less than a week after the bag arrived. GREAT DEAL !

Either way, I would highly recommend the bag at $149 by itself if you don't need the rain cover.

John

John

Glad you brought up the Petrol line - I have found one that works perfectly for my needs the Petrol PCTB-3

Petrol | PCTB-3 Camlap Trolley Backpack | PCTB3 | B&H Photo Video

If you click on "more images" on the B&H website you can see that it has plenty of room for the PMW-EX1 (including an attached AT835ST shotgun mic, all the accessories that go with my camera including the Sony HVL-LBP light, a Pro Hood (fully opened-not squished), AND a large Sony Vaio laptop (VGN-AW290) with an 18.4" screen. I like the ability to roll it on wheels and also being able to use it as a backpack - the harness straps are normally covered with a zippered cover but are ready to use when unzipped.

It is a bit pricey but since you can carry one of the largest screen laptops on the market it seemed well worth it.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #22
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Moab, UT
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Kata have just launched a Pro series bag which is ideal for the EX3. They will be sending me a bag for review within the next two weeks, I will post full details.
Any word yet?
__________________
www.packcreekproductions.com
EX3, Mac Pro, FCP
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #23
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Studio Alnitak, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 640
Images: 3
I been using for some time a Petrol PCPR-1 bag (initially purchased for a HVR-Z1U). Holds the EX1 fitted with Chrosziel matte box and rails, plus flags, viewfinder, two batteries, 5 filters, charger, lens cleaning fluid + tissues, spare MxR Expresscard holders, small Edirol recorder, compact headphones, tools, short cables and mikes. The case can be configured as a backpack (with extra fittings), but I would be unloading the case somewhat if I was carrying it hiking. The case is well padded and provides very good access. It is big enough to contain everything directly pertinent to the camera (apart from the tripod) plus minimum audio gear. A hard case is better for checked luggage.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 04:46 PM   #24
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: new york
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
John

Glad you brought up the Petrol line - I have found one that works perfectly for my needs the Petrol PCTB-3

Petrol | PCTB-3 Camlap Trolley Backpack | PCTB3 | B&H Photo Video

If you click on "more images" on the B&H website you can see that it has plenty of room for the PMW-EX1 (including an attached AT835ST shotgun mic, all the accessories that go with my camera including the Sony HVL-LBP light, a Pro Hood (fully opened-not squished), AND a large Sony Vaio laptop (VGN-AW290) with an 18.4" screen. I like the ability to roll it on wheels and also being able to use it as a backpack - the harness straps are normally covered with a zippered cover but are ready to use when unzipped.

It is a bit pricey but since you can carry one of the largest screen laptops on the market it seemed well worth it.

Barry,

have you taken the petrol rolling backpack onto a airplane yet?
last summer, i traveled extensively with my EX1 and a Kata HB-207 with the trolley attachment. While the case accommodated the EX1 easily, but the outside dimensions were longer than i liked and only allowed for a 15.4" notebook. my macbook pro 17" really cannot fit in with the Sony EX1 plus some items.

The trolley when attached cannot be worn comfortably as a back pack so i had to roll the case on some rather rough cobblestones road. as most of these rollers are hard, that leads to lots of vibration. it may not have hurt my EX1, just did not make me feel comfortable.

the petrol pctb-3 is much deeper, so a macbook pro 17" should fit easily.
the wheels also look thicker, i wonder if it can handle rough terrain better than the Kata trolley and save my back.

lastly, can you take the petrol on board without checking it in?

paul
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:15 PM   #25
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
Barry,

have you taken the petrol rolling backpack onto a airplane yet?
I have not taken it on an airplane yet but is virtually the same size as a Petrol PWR-HDV which I use for my V1U. That unit will not fit into the overheads of the small commuter jets but fits ok on the larger planes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
last summer, i traveled extensively with my EX1 and a Kata HB-207 with the trolley attachment. While the case accommodated the EX1 easily, but the outside dimensions were longer than i liked and only allowed for a 15.4" notebook. my macbook pro 17" really cannot fit in with the Sony EX1 plus some items.
There is room for my Sony Vaio with an 18.4 screen - the Macbook Pro is somewhat smaller than the Sony - it should fit well and the compartment is well padded.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
The trolley when attached cannot be worn comfortably as a back pack so i had to roll the case on some rather rough cobblestones road. as most of these rollers are hard, that leads to lots of vibration. it may not have hurt my EX1, just did not make me feel comfortable.
The wheels are built snugly into the backpack and the backpack straps are normally hidden under a zippered cover but are easily detached - so it acts like any other backpack - look at the pics on Petrol site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
the petrol pctb-3 is much deeper, so a macbook pro 17" should fit easily.
the wheels also look thicker, i wonder if it can handle rough terrain better than the Kata trolley and save my back.
The wheels are quite large and sturdy and work quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
lastly, can you take the petrol on board without checking it in?

paul
On most planes you can take it on board except for the short run commuter jets - same as for my PWR-HDV bag.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:58 PM   #26
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: new york
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
The wheels are built snugly into the backpack and the backpack straps are normally hidden under a zippered cover but are easily detached - so it acts like any other backpack - look at the pics on Petrol site.
On most planes you can take it on board except for the short run commuter jets - same as for my PWR-HDV bag.
Barry,

Thanks a ton!
I'm down to either that Petrol soft trolley or a Pelican hard case 1510 that also fits the EX1 and can be wheeled around.

As I have never used a hard case in my life, i am clueless as to whether it can protect against rough road vibration better than a soft case with wheels. Besides the obvious impact protection from being crushed, wouldn't a hard case transfer the constant road vibrations to the equipment the same way as a soft case?

I usually take my equipment, most recently the EX1 and a Nikon D2x with me on vacation. In a month, that'll be the 4 big parks in Orlando. While most of the Disney parks have perfect walkways for wheels, there are many portions of cobblestones and rocky roads.

With my HB-207 and the trolley insert, picking it up was not a great alternative.

I am hoping either the Petrol or the Pelican will be safe enough protection for the Orlando parks.

Paul
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:00 AM   #27
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Studio Alnitak, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 640
Images: 3
The disadvantage of a hard case is its weight. Carry on luggage is limited in weight as well as dimensions, generally 10Kg for large aircraft and 5Kg for feeders. I've travelled with a ZU1 in a wheeled Pelican 1510 hard case designed to satisfy hand luggage dimension regulations but weighing 7Kg empty. With contents it well exceeded the regulation weight limits (especially on feeders) and I made sure I carried it in a manner that made it appear light. I could insert it into feeder overhead lockers (with an artful firm push). The 1510 will also hold an EX1 in bare configuration (no matte box and rails).
These cases have fitted foam so the contents are well protected from vibration.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:32 AM   #28
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: new york
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
The disadvantage of a hard case is its weight. Carry on luggage is limited in weight as well as dimensions, generally 10Kg for large aircraft and 5Kg for feeders. I've travelled with a ZU1 in a wheeled Pelican 1510 hard case designed to satisfy hand luggage dimension regulations but weighing 7Kg empty. With contents it well exceeded the regulation weight limits (especially on feeders) and I made sure I carried it in a manner that made it appear light. I could insert it into feeder overhead lockers (with an artful firm push). The 1510 will also hold an EX1 in bare configuration (no matte box and rails).
These cases have fitted foam so the contents are well protected from vibration.
thanks serena!

upon further consideration, i wonder if it's wise to roll or carry a hard case through the 10-20 miles of the resorts and parks. Also, the pelican or porta brace case may get too much attention.
do you find that's the case?

paul
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:10 AM   #29
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: gloucestershire uk
Posts: 93
r106 any users

Someone posted a while back if anyone has tried the Kata R106 with an EX3. My EX3 arrives this week. (oh joy!) and Kata claims the r106 will take it. The 502 seems way too big for me. Has anyone tried the r106?
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM   #30
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
I usually take my equipment, most recently the EX1 and a Nikon D2x with me on vacation. In a month, that'll be the 4 big parks in Orlando. While most of the Disney parks have perfect walkways for wheels, there are many portions of cobblestones and rocky roads.

With my HB-207 and the trolley insert, picking it up was not a great alternative.

I am hoping either the Petrol or the Pelican will be safe enough protection for the Orlando parks.

Paul
I have pulled the PWR-HDV (with similar wheels to the Petrol PCTB-3)
through all the Disney Parks for the last 3 years with my V1U and have had no problems.

Actually, the PWR-HDV will accomodate the PMW-EX1 but it was just such a hassle getting it in and out of the bag expecially with the AT835ST shotgun installed. I like the way you can open up the PCTB-3 fully for easy access to the camera.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network