DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Chrosziel Mattebox for EX 1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/143336-chrosziel-mattebox-ex-1-a.html)

Bob Kerner February 8th, 2009 09:41 AM

Chrosziel Mattebox for EX 1

Does anyone have experience with the Chrosziel mattebox marketed for the EX -1. Here's a description and picture:

Chrosziel 450-EX1K2 Mattebox / Follow Focus Kit for Sony PMW-EX1 :: Matteboxes & Sunshades :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech

I'm only interested in the mattebox, not the follow focus, which I think sells for about $1800 with rails. I will not be using this with a 35mm adapter (for now) just the stock camera.

Does it fit properly on the EX-1? I've heard that a lot of matte boxes don't fit properly, either because they crowd the mic or don't permit the LCD to swing out. The linked picture doesn't give a good idea of how close it's sitting to the LCD.

I'm considering this and the Redrock but haven't been able to answer the question about the micro matte box either.

And while I'm at it, are two filter stages enough? I can only imagine using two at a time but I'm open to hearing about others' experiences.

Thanks

Andy Shipsides February 8th, 2009 09:52 AM

Hey Bob

The Chrosziel fits the camera nicely and the LCD does open when it is on. The only problem is that you cannot rotate the second stage without hitting the LCD.

Check out the Arri Mattebox as well: Arri MMB-1 Basic Mattebox Kit :: Mattebox Systems :: Matteboxes & Sunshades :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech
It was designed to work specifically with the EX1 camera and the second stage clears the LCD.

They are both great systems and fit snuggly. I'd like to hear what people think about only having two stages, but it seems to be the only option in this size mattebox.

Bob Kerner February 8th, 2009 09:59 AM

Thanks Andy. I didn't see that one, just a much more expensive version. Brian from RR responded to me in another forum that the MM works with a rubber gasket to get it a little further away from the lens.

Do you use this? What do you make of the fact that it is side loading, not top loading?

Edit: Now I recall seeing this and thinking it wasn't quite right. Read Doug Jensen's post #20 on this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...my-cart-2.html

He has a good point (that I forgot to bring out in my original question) about side loading being a hinderance if trying to position grad ND filters.

I can't tell whether the Chrosziel is top or side loading from the description......

Andy Shipsides February 8th, 2009 10:25 AM

I think the Arri is $1500 about $300 less then the Chrosziel. I'm sure the RR is less though but I haven't played with that one yet. I know a lot of people are happy with them.

The Arri has that issue with ND grads for sure.. it was a decision that came about because of the space available on the EX1. The Chrosziel is top loading but has the rotation issue.

David C. Williams February 8th, 2009 04:24 PM

That is the old model 450. There are two new Chrosziel base models out, the CMB-R10 and 20, and the 450R1, 2 and 3. They have 1 to 3 360 rotating trays, not a single 360. CMB being the light weight version, clampable or rods.

I haven't seen one in real life, but you'd think they'd design them to work properly with the EX1/3. My mouse is hovering over the Buy button for a CMB-R20 for my EX3.

Andrew Stone February 8th, 2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Shipsides (Post 1008648)
The Chrosziel fits the camera nicely and the LCD does open when it is on. The only problem is that you cannot rotate the second stage without hitting the LCD. Check out the Arri Mattebox as well... I'd like to hear what people think about only having two stages.

I am in the process of getting a new mattebox however I have the EX3. The one issue, although temporary, is the ARRI does not have a shipping eyebrow or sideflags which defeats a large part of why someone would drop a lot of money for a mattebox. I phoned Eric Johnson at ARRI and spoke with him about the issue and in general terms about the mattebox (and follow focus). The eyebrow and side flags are in manufacturing and are supposed to be shipping in a month's time. You can use the eyebrow from its bigger brethren but it dwarfs the mattebox but still very usuable. The backend of the ARRI is suppose to match up nicely to the EX1 and EX3 but I would like verification of that from a seasoned user. Eric mentioned that the ARRI, like most matteboxes will vignette when you use the wide angle adapters that are available, however, I am pretty sure you can rig up something where you push the lens through the opening a bit but you would probably loose the use of the filters.

The nice thing about the Chroszeil is they have a raft of adapters for pretty much any lens diameter, the build quality is excellent and it is a known commodity with a track record. They are pricey but in the same league as the ARRI (depending on where you buy it).

The issue of the rotating stage on the Chroszeil is not lost on me and that is why the ARRI is very much a consideration but I am going to wait until the flags are available and some pros get their mitts on them and speak up.

EDIT:

One more thing the ARRI pricing the Abel Cine Tech is giving (which is good) does NOT include the eyebrow. I believe Mr Johnson from ARRI said the suggested price on the brow was around $150 and the sideflags were in the $250 range.

To me when you are in the that price range and the fact that a mattebox should last you several cameras (hopefully more) the price spread is moot.

Bob Kerner February 8th, 2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C. Williams (Post 1008825)
That is the old model 450. There are two new Chrosziel base models out, the CMB-R10 and 20, and the 450R1, 2 and 3. They have 1 to 3 360 rotating trays, not a single 360. CMB being the light weight version, clampable or rods.

I haven't seen one in real life, but you'd think they'd design them to work properly with the EX1/3. My mouse is hovering over the Buy button for a CMB-R20 for my EX3.

Do you have a link for this, David?

This is what's on the manufacturer's website and it looks the same as the Abel link:
Chrosziel GmbH - For DVD and HDTV Camcorders

I don't see a 450 R 1 listed on their product list.

Does anyone have experience with the Petroff matee box sold by Zacuto?

Andrew Stone February 8th, 2009 07:33 PM

Chrosziel finally has a website. Lots of product information. Really helps out as the vendors for their stuff generally having outdated product listings. Check it out here...

Chrosziel GmbH

David C. Williams February 8th, 2009 08:25 PM

The 450R series is new, and may not be in retail yet. the CMB-R20 has been out for awhile though. Even the Chrosziel website barely has 450R info. If you look in their full catalogue PDF, it's there.

http://www.chrosziel.com/data/chrosz..._Catalogue.pdf

The CMB-R20 is on B&H

Chrosziel | AC-CMB-R20-EX1K1 Sunshade Kit 1 | R20-EX1-K1 | B&H

Serena Steuart February 9th, 2009 01:18 AM

I'm using the Chroziel that I bought for the Z1 - just had to modify the transition piece and file out the front mask (which is a "plastic" clip in). The usual thing for the Z1 and EX is to load filters from the bottom, and I find free rotation of the stage (of course if the carrier is pulled out it will hit the built-in mike).

Bob Kerner February 9th, 2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C. Williams (Post 1008897)
The 450R series is new, and may not be in retail yet. the CMB-R20 has been out for awhile though. Even the Chrosziel website barely has 450R info. If you look in their full catalogue PDF, it's there.

http://www.chrosziel.com/data/chrosz..._Catalogue.pdf

The CMB-R20 is on B&H

I know I'm splitting hairs, but why is this product listed as a Sun shade rather than a matte box? This implies there is a difference.

Andrew Stone February 9th, 2009 11:21 AM

You aren't splitting hairs. If you want a rails version you should go for other one. You will also note the eyebrow (french flag) on the rails version is split, you will of course have the rails mount. I haven't seen the price on their swing away unit. The Zacuto one has the flexibility of being usable on any mattebox with a rail adapter on it & it pulls straight out a bit and then swings. Not sure if the Chrosziel does that.

Bob Kerner February 19th, 2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C. Williams (Post 1008825)

Is this the new one you are referring to?:

Looks like it fits. What I cannot determine from the description is whether it will accept side wings, or is that the feature that distinguishes it from being a matte box (it's marketed as a sunshade)?

David C. Williams February 19th, 2009 03:25 PM

That's the one. I'm not sure why they name a sunshade? Perhaps you can't buy hard mattes for it? There is probably some obscure definition the Germanic need for order can't avoid. All the pictures I've seen show side wing mounts, but I haven't seen a live one.
I ordered and paid for it 2 weeks ago from B&H, but it hasn't even shipped yet :(

Serena Steuart February 19th, 2009 07:52 PM

The Chrosziel link is : Chrosziel GmbH - For DVD and HDTV Camcorders. The product code is 450-EX1KIT. That takes mattes. But that is listed under both matte and sunshade, so I've added nothing to the previous posts. The matte-box I use is the 450-HDVKIT (see my contribution further up) which is the same in major details. Good kit.