Letus Relay for EX3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 15th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
I seem to remember Letus saying that they were surprised to find that their flip actually added sharpness. (I'm just repeating what they said) The Letus Ultimate that Phil is using is a one piece design. You can't use it without the flip, and I don't think the relay is designed to be used with anything other than Letus adaptors.
it's weird. Cinevate and Letus both say flip enhances image but it seems the flip on the Blade isn't quite as good as shooting without it on the ex1/3. don't understand!
Old February 15th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #17
Major Player

It's very nice, no doubt. I'm keen to keep the whole setup as short and light as possible for Steadicam work. The Cinevate relay is massive compared to the Letus EX3, but I like the light weight of the Brevis. Perhaps the Letus EX3 relay and the new MP.2 Brevis might work well together, if the can mate properly?
David C. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post
It's very nice, no doubt. I'm keen to keep the whole setup as short and light as possible for Steadicam work. The Cinevate relay is massive compared to the Letus EX3, but I like the light weight of the Brevis. Perhaps the Letus EX3 relay and the new MP.2 Brevis might work well together, if the can mate properly?
i do believe inter species mating is not possible with the ex3 relay...
Old February 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #19
Trustee

Isn't it something to do with the acromatic (spelling) lens they made to perfectly match to the EX1/EX3? When I was shopping for adaptors, that's what steered me to the Letus and Cinevate adaptors over the others.

But yeah, I don't know how it works either.

You've got to be THRILLED with the footage you're getting with that relay. (very jealous)

You going to NAB in April in Las Vegas? I'm planning to attend for the first time in many years. Off of your recommendation, switching to the EX3 and Ultimate has rejuvenated my interest in videography. I've been going nuts researching and shooting as much as possible. Thanks Phil.
Old February 15th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
i do believe inter species mating is not possible with the ex3 relay...
That is a tragic loss to biodiversity :(
David C. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #21
Trustee

yep going to NAB. Decided today and booked my tickets!
Old February 15th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #22
Trustee

You going to be a the Sony, Letus or Zacuto booth? Do you know if they are going to even have booths?
Old February 15th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
You going to be a the Sony, Letus or Zacuto booth? Do you know if they are going to even have booths?
if anywhere will be at zacuto. But am a free spirit! Letus as far as I know won't be there, but they will have their gear on the zacuto stand
Old February 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #24
Trustee

Well maybe I'll lucky and bump into you.

Okay, not back to the topic of this thread....

So the EX3 relay has a iris and focus rigs, but no zoom....right?
Old February 15th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Well maybe I'll lucky and bump into you.

Okay, not back to the topic of this thread....

So the EX3 relay has a iris and focus rigs, but no zoom....right?
Drop me an email when out there, or phone. Always good to meet people off the forums. Also there may be a DVinfo gathering like there was last year.

The Ex3 has no relay. That is what keeps it short, unlike the cinevate relay. Downside is academy frame size of 24x16mm rather than 36x24mm which is what you get our of SLR lenses. What Hien decides to do about this is anyones guess but two different relays would be my choice. I am very unlikely to use PL lenses on my EX3, maybe on the B4 and would prefer a full frame relay for the ex3...
Old February 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #26
Trustee

Sorry, but you totally went over my head with your comments.

1) So "relay" is another word for "zoom"? So the EX3 relay lens (which doesn't have a relay) will not have a zoom function. Right?

2) I don't know the significance between academy and 36x24mm (35mm?). Does this mean that our 35mm lenses will not be their true focal lengths? So a 24mm will be like a 35mm? I hope that's not the case.

I don't have your phone number, so I'll email you when I get to NAB. A DVInfo Net meeting would be great. But I'm especially interested in talking to others who use like equipment and especially those who use them professionally (to make a living).
Old February 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Sorry, but you totally went over my head with your comments.

1) So "relay" is another word for "zoom"? So the EX3 relay lens (which doesn't have a relay) will not have a zoom function. Right?

2) I don't know the significance between academy and 36x24mm (35mm?). Does this mean that our 35mm lenses will not be their true focal lengths? So a 24mm will be like a 35mm? I hope that's not the case.

I don't have your phone number, so I'll email you when I get to NAB. A DVInfo Net meeting would be great. But I'm especially interested in talking to others who use like equipment and especially those who use them professionally (to make a living).
phone number is on my website...

The relay is essentially a prime lens, a fixed focal length lens. Not a zoom lens. Cinevate are making a zoom relay but it is very long.

Yes, the relays currently being made by Letus are for Academy size frames, that's 24x16mm. The reason being is they are cropped for use with PL lenses. PL lenses are essentially movie camera lenses. If you look at a piece of 35mm film when it goes through a stills camera it it horizontal, but when it goes through a movie camera it is vertical hence a smaller image. 35mm movie lenses are designed to project a smaller image. If the fixed focal length of the relays was set for 35mm still lenses what would happen with a PL lens on it would be a large vignette. So they have decided to go with the PL size Academy frame as they believe people who will be shelling out for a relay will use cinema lenses. I disagree. Certainly this could be the case on the B4 but maybe not so on the EX3.

So hopefully they may have more than one type of relay coming out for the EX3. This one and one for full frame still lenses...

Keep your fingers crossed!
Old February 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #28
Trustee

So what's the negative with using Academy frame size relay with a 35mm SLR lens? Not as sharp? Bright? (sorry if these are newbie questions)
Old February 15th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
So what's the negative with using Academy frame size relay with a 35mm SLR lens? Not as sharp? Bright? (sorry if these are newbie questions)
you hit the nail on the head earlier. A multiplication factor of 1.5x so you wides aren't as wide, your long lenses are a bit longer etc...
Old February 15th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #30
Trustee

That would suck! What size is the opening of an Ultimate mounted on an EX1/EX3 lens? In other words, when you zoom in the least amount possible. Is it pretty close to 1:1? My 17x35mm seems pretty darn wide on the Ultimate/EX3.

Sorry for all the questions but this is a very helpful conversation......well at least for me. I would assume there are other people reading this as wel.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds