EX3 + Canon XHA1 and Multiclip in FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 11th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX3 + Canon XHA1 and Multiclip in FCP

I own a Canon XHA1 and I have an EX3 on the way. If I put the EX3 in SQ mode and shoot at 30p, will I be able to create multiclips with my XHA1 30p material in FCP? Thanks.
Nathan Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Nathan,

It should work - FCP just wants the multiclip video clips to be the same format.

However, what you might want to consider is shooting the EX3 in full HQ 30P mode and then transcoding the XHA1 video to XDCAM EX HQ 30p with Compressor, so you'll be able to work at full resolution. I've got an XHA1 and an EX1, and that's what I do - although I shoot 1080i mostly (I use the EX1 for wide shots, and use the XHA1 for close-up).

The difference in quality between the EX1/3 and the XHA1 is noticeable, so you're better off (IMHO) to shoot in the highest quality to start with.
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Brent... I've sent you a follow-up question off-list about doing this in Compressor. Your post is very helpful.

--Nathan
Nathan Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've got a similar setup and also transcode the Canon stuff to XDCAM EX for multiclipping, it works really well. Do it as suggested in Compressor, or just export from FCP, either way works well. I've yet to shoot at the lower quality HDV setting on the EX3, don't see the point.
Gary Barr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds