New XDCAM EX camera - JVC not Sony - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 14th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott View Post
JVC released an inferior camera with 1/3" sensors and wants to charge more for it. I'm not fooled.
This post reminds me of the stickers I see in the back window of pickup trucks with a certain cartoon character performing a certain bodily function on either a Ford football or Chevy bowtie.

You're welcome to your opinion and choice of platform but some of us are quite thrilled about the possibilities of this new camera. We've been given a choice. I made mine and it sounds like you've made yours.
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #32
Major Player

My little SR11 does a damn fine job as a B cam, I imagine there will only be a few areas where the JVC cams falls short of the EX cams.. plus it will be full shoulder with a proper ear speaker. It will find it's niche.
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark David Williams View Post
Hi Steve

This link may help to understand better. The idea is to use 16mm lenses IE in my case Zeiss superspeeds that would give the same dof as 16mm film cameras or you can use 35mm camera lenses.

JVC Professional Features page
Hi Mark, I didn't realise it was a relay system, thought you just wanted to attach 16mm lenses. Can you not use the 35mm adapters from LETUS etc.?

Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Hi Mark, I didn't realise it was a relay system, thought you just wanted to attach 16mm lenses. Can you not use the 35mm adapters from LETUS etc.?

Steve
Yes you could but the 16mm zeiss lenses dont work that great with the letus. Actually I was very interested in the JVC lineup before the EX-1 came along and blew it away. I dont really now see the 1/3 chip in the JVC makes any difference if your going to use an adapter to control dof If its now using the EX-1 codec and is true 1920 with interchangeable lenses then it seems to me for the purpose of getting a film look the JVC might be a better option now. we'll see.
Mark David Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
This post reminds me of the stickers I see in the back window of pickup trucks with a certain cartoon character performing a certain bodily function on either a Ford football or Chevy bowtie.

You're welcome to your opinion and choice of platform but some of us are quite thrilled about the possibilities of this new camera. We've been given a choice. I made mine and it sounds like you've made yours.
If somehow in your wildest imagination you can convince yourself that 1/3" is just as good as the EX1's 1/2", then you should work for JVC.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
If somehow in your wildest imagination you can convince yourself that 1/3" is just as good as the EX1's 1/2", then you should work for JVC.
Without seeing output from both cameras that's a bit of wild guesswork. You probably would have guessed that the 1/2" sensors on the EX1 would not be as good a picture as 2/3" chip cameras but it seems that's not neccessarily the case at all.

Steve
Old February 15th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Actually I currently work for the most grueling and oppressive employer I've ever worked for: myself. And please, refrain from making this personal. It depends on your definition of what "just as good as" entails: some of us have ZERO interest in CMOS. Again, all personal taste based on workflow and our own perception of quality. The JVC cameras are positioned differently than the EX series.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Sonys and I'm pleased as punch to have Sony's codec available to me. Had Sony given us the option of a shoulder mounted 1/2" CCD camera shooting in XDCamEX at around $10-15k, I would have bought in. They stuck to the semi-shoulder mounted and I bought JVC in HDV. Now I'll be buying the HM700.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that their choice is NOT universal and some of us are looking very differently at specs?
Old February 15th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #38
Trustee

So it's okay to assume 1/2" is as good as 2/3", but to imagine 1/3" could be as good as 1/2" you should work for JVC?
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Without seeing output from both cameras that's a bit of wild guesswork. You probably would have guessed that the 1/2" sensors on the EX1 would not be as good a picture as 2/3" chip cameras but it seems that's not neccessarily the case at all.

Steve
Obviously a camera is more than just it's sensors and there are a lot of factors that contribute to image quality.

But do the math.

If what you are saying is that the 1/2" sensors on the EX are as good as the 2/3" chip cams AND your are also saying there is the possibility that the 1/3" chip may be as good as the EX1's 1/2"

THEN... what you are ultimately suggesting is the possibility that the JVC 1/3" sensors are as good as 2/3" sensors. Doubtful to say the least. In fact, I now fear the thread will be moved to AREA 51.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #40
Inner Circle

I think what I'm saying is that you can't really assume much until you've seen the kit, and that there is much more to a good picture than chip size.
It's not me that's done tests with 1/2" EX3 vs 2/3" PDW700 and found they look almost identical - in fact it's a bit of a disappointment to me as I own a 700!
Steve
Old February 15th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #41
Regular Crew

The obvious additions..

This camera looks fantastic, it would be amazing, if:

1/2" sensors (like everyone has said)
4:2:2 50Mb/100Mb codec (see Nanoflash using compact flash for possibility)

I wonder why JVC has to always take one step short of making an amazing camera? Why would anyone buy this camera instead of an EX1 if the EX1 offers 1/2" and JVC 1/3"--no matter what the other benefits are?
James Venturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #42
Regular Crew

700 vs. EX1/EX3

What we've found in doing research is that out of the HDSDI in the right conditions the 700 and the EX3 can look identical, but take the situation to low light or try to achieve a shallow depth of field in an interview and the EX3 suffers.

Moreover, try the same test to recorded media and the 4:2:0 EX3 doesn't begin to compare with the 4:2:2 PDW700, so worry not, the 700 is more more similar to the F900R than it is to the EX3.
James Venturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Venturi View Post
Why would anyone buy this camera instead of an EX1 if the EX1 offers 1/2" and JVC 1/3"--no matter what the other benefits are?
AGAIN: shoulder mount, CCDs and non-proprietary batteries.
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #44
Major Player

I think what we have found with the EX cams is that 1/2" CMOS compares to 2/3" CCD very well.. But comparing CCD to CCD or CMOS to CMOS size still matters.

We will have to wait and see with the new cam..
Old February 15th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #45
Major Player

IBC isn't too far off, lets see what Sony have to offer, I don't imagine the EX range is going to stand still for long!

JVC Cams are a nice addition to the market though and offer a great upgrade path for those with investments in 1/3rd lenses
Steve Connor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds