DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   New EX3/Nikon adaptor. Whats Your Colour Of Choice? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/143552-new-ex3-nikon-adaptor-whats-your-colour-choice.html)

Steve Shovlar February 11th, 2009 01:56 PM

New EX3/Nikon adaptor. Whats Your Colour Of Choice?

I have been working on an EX3/Nikon adaptor and its nearly ready for launch. This afternoon I have spent some time with the anodising company and they showd me a host of different colours to choose from. Now this got me thinking. I was just going to have it anodised black, but would potential buyers prefer it coloured?

Black?
Red to suite your Zacuto base plate?
Blue?
Natural Aluminium?

The adaptor has been beta tested for the last three weeks and come through with flying "colours". Tomorrow afternoon production starts in earnest and next week they will be off to the anodisers before it is assembled with the Nikon mount prior to shipping.

The price? I am sure it will be a case of "I can now afford to get one" rather than " I want one but can't afford it". More of that at launch together with pics but its a very good fair price, believe me.

Lets here your thoughts on what colour you would prefer if you were to buy.

Thanks.

Eric A Robinson February 11th, 2009 02:03 PM

Adaptor

Hi Steve

Are you thinking about making a similar product for Canon Ef lenses?

Steve Shovlar February 11th, 2009 02:06 PM

I will be certainly looking at Canon lenses after this one is launched. Being in the Nikon camp I started with something more familiar but if it can be done I will give it a go.

Eric A Robinson February 11th, 2009 02:21 PM

Put me down for one

Hi Steve

Well I for one would be very interested in a Canon EF mount for my EX3.

Steve Shovlar February 11th, 2009 02:55 PM

As I don't own a canon lens, the bayonet would be basic like the brevis, redrock and Letus, in that if the canon lens didn't have an apeture ring I am unsure how you would be abe to change it, without having a canon camera on hand.

But I will be on the case in the next month, and it shouldn't be too difficult now I have got the Nikon version sorted.

Bill Ravens February 11th, 2009 03:24 PM

A word of caution is in order relative to Canon lenses. It isn't possible to mount a Canon lens on a JVC HDxx camera because the focal point of the lens is too short to reach the sensor block, the way the JVC is mechanically configured. I hope the EX3 is less generous in its mount to focal plane dimension.

Steve Shovlar February 11th, 2009 04:23 PM

Hi Bill I will soon find out if its possible or not. Interestingly there is no Canon adaptor currently available. Perhaps others have got that far and realised it's a no goer.

Derek Reich February 11th, 2009 06:18 PM

If a Canon EF mount can be made..... how will one adjust aperture? There is no external (manual) aperture adjustment on Canon EF lenses.

Steve Shovlar February 12th, 2009 01:59 AM

I believe you would have to do it via a canon stills camera on hand. And probably part of the reason why many videographers chose Nikon over Canon.

Vincent Oliver February 12th, 2009 02:42 AM

I knew my collection of 18 Nikkor lenses would have a second life one day.

Black would be the perfect colour, but not glossy and a good scratch resistant coating.

Steve Shovlar February 12th, 2009 03:20 AM

Definately leaning towards black as standard because its so neutral.

Using Nikons on the EX3 is quite something. The magnification is 5.5, so wides don't benefit but longer lenses certainly do. I use the Nikon 80-200 2.8 on it every day and the results are excellent. We have a squirrel stealing nuts from the bird feeder in the garden and I get great shots of the squirels head and teeth noshing away. Wouldn't get anything close to that on the stock lens. With my 300mm F4 Nikon results are even more interesting, and of coourse the extremely shallow depth of field brought about by using these lenses wide open and zoomed in make the results extremely film like, without the use of a 35mm adaptor.

The CNC starts up after lunch and the first batch should hopefully be ready next week all being well at the anodisers.

Vincent Oliver February 12th, 2009 03:26 AM

It's sounding good Steve, any idea on price?

Paul Inglis February 12th, 2009 05:38 AM

I already have a 35mm adaptor but would be interested in one of yours if it came in a matt black and a highly durable finish. Mine is shiny and fairly easy to scratch.

Steve Shovlar February 12th, 2009 05:50 AM

Vincent, price will be finalised late this afternoon once I get the quote in from the anodizers. If you know the price of the adaptors current on the market, you will be very happy indeed.

Paul, it looks more than likely we will be going in black, anodised to be as durable as possible.

Ned Soltz February 12th, 2009 08:50 AM

As one who is interested, I'll weigh in with a request for a black matte anodized finish.

Anxiously awaiting price point.

Now, for the dumb question-- I haven't shot Nikon's in ages (became a Canon person 15 years ago). Which lens series would be used with the adapter?

Thanks

Ned