DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Suggestions for DoF adapter lens choices (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/143653-suggestions-dof-adapter-lens-choices.html)

Micheal McAlexander February 12th, 2009 03:30 PM

Suggestions for DoF adapter lens choices

Hey all,

I know this is an impossible question to answer definitively since it is so broad and everyone has there opinion so here goes...

Can you suggest some lens choices to use with my Letus Elite DoF adapter for a basic, all-purpose camera package.

I've always used Canon lenses on my SLR, but alot of you like the Nikons for video work.

Can I use SLR lenses on the DoF adapter? Should I try and find some relatively inexpensive lenses on EBay and experiment?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or pointers to further reading would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Micheal

Mitchell Lewis February 12th, 2009 03:47 PM

We purchased used Nikon lenses used from KEH. KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More.

We purchased:
17-35mm f/2.8
50mm f/1.4
80-200mm f/2.8

In the future we'd also like to buy:
28mm f/1.4 (let's in more light than our 2.8)
85mm f/1.4 (let's in more light that our 2.8)

If you're on a budget, I'd start with the 50mm f/1.4. You can do a lot with that lens. Then maybe around an 85mm. But try to make sure you get low f-stops (f/2.8 or lower). Using a 35mm adaptor kills a fair amount of light so you want a "fast" lens to let in as much light as possible. Unfortunatly though, "fast" lenses are expensive. (fast is a term used to describe lenses with lower than normal f-stops).

This is a fantastic website to research lenses. Take a couple of hours and look through it.

KenRockwell.com

Micheal McAlexander February 12th, 2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis (Post 1011076)
We purchased used Nikon lenses used from KEH. KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More.

We purchased:
17-35mm f/2.8
50mm f/1.4
80-200mm f/2.8

In the future we'd also like to buy:
28mm f/1.4 (let's in more light than our 2.8)
85mm f/1.4 (let's in more light that our 2.8)

If you're on a budget, I'd start with the 50mm f/1.4. You can do a lot with that lens. Then maybe around an 85mm. But try to make sure you get low f-stops (f/2.8 or lower). Using a 35mm adaptor kills a fair amount of light so you want a "fast" lens to let in as much light as possible. Unfortunatly though, "fast" lenses are expensive. (fast is a term used to describe lenses with lower than normal f-stops).

This is a fantastic website to research lenses. Take a couple of hours and look through it.

KenRockwell.com

Cool... thanks... I'll look into it... did you have any problems with the used lenses?

Mitchell Lewis February 12th, 2009 04:00 PM

Nope. They come with a "14 day no questions asked" warranty. So we checked them out throughly the day we got them. But they have worked fine ever since. We splurged and bought lenses in the EX category of their website. We thought about buying in the Bargain category but chickened out at the last minute. :)