DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   my EX1 makes a noise (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/143748-my-ex1-makes-noise.html)

Matt San February 13th, 2009 05:12 PM

my EX1 makes a noise

OK What is this noise I can hear - If I hold the camera to my ear - by the SxS slots.. IT IS NOT...

the fan
the steadyshot gyro (have that off - plus know that noise)
the IRIS
the zoom motor

IF i hold the cam still noise stops if i move it with a bright picture i get noise
If i present it with dark or black pic the noise is much less

seems the noise is a function of light - If it had a mechanical shutter I would say it was that but the shutter is electronic - anyone else gettin this noise

(noise is almost like digital mobile phone intefrence)
PS its not on any video plus I can't hear it unless I hold the camera to my ear - its not a problem noise just I am curious to know what it is

Craig Seeman February 13th, 2009 05:59 PM

I've noticed that as I bring food closer to my cat I hear a motor boat like sound from him and it gets louder as the food get nearer. I still can't figure out where that sound actually comes from.

...some kind of modulation frequency affected by light hitting the sensors?

David C. Williams February 13th, 2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1011706)
I've noticed that as I bring food closer to my cat I hear a motor boat like sound from him and it gets louder as the food get nearer. I still can't figure out where that sound actually comes from.

It must be the cats gyros spinning up from standby mode. They activate when the proximity detectors are triggered. Blow the cat out with an air gun, and spray in some dry silicon lube, and the rattle clears up.

Dean Sensui February 13th, 2009 09:17 PM

When you rewind the SxS card does the noise get louder?

Greg Voevodsky February 13th, 2009 11:26 PM

I thought when you boot your SxS card it makes that spinning hard drive sound. Also, when you initialize it, it tends to purr until done.

David Issko February 14th, 2009 03:05 PM

hey guys that is so not nice making fun of poor matt when all he wants to know is what the noise is.

dont pay any attention to them.

it is an internal light sabre that makes the noise when you move it, especially with bright picture. mine changes frequency depending on the light colour. makes for recording of very vivid colours.

Matt San February 14th, 2009 03:25 PM

I found out what it is now and I'm not telling any of you so there.

Greg Voevodsky February 15th, 2009 12:15 AM

oh matt,

Do tell. Is it the cat, the rewind, the boot, or lightsaber?
Or is it Puss in Boots, with an old style walkman rewinding, initializing a hard disk while watching star wars light saber battles in the background?! Or just a bad hangover with that ear buzz that doesn't go away all day?!

Vincent Oliver February 15th, 2009 01:11 AM

I suspect it is the on board computer that is performing its calculations or could it be that sound is being generated by the built in speaker? I had a similar problem when I plugged my earphones in and left them hanging on the tripod, I couldn't work out where a noise was coming from until I placed the earphones on my head - DOH

Bob Grant February 15th, 2009 02:54 AM

I'd guess the camera has a DC to DC converter. More load means more noise. If it is objectionable or troubling I'd compare it to another camera if you can. There could be a transformer with a loose winding that should be replaced. Unfortunately these high frequency noises can be outside many older peoples hearing so even if I said I could hear it in my camera too that's not a very objective evaluation.

David Issko February 15th, 2009 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt San (Post 1012123)
I found out what it is now and I'm not telling any of you so there.

Matt, thanks for being such a good sport and joining in on the fun.
Seriously, my supplier had the same problem with their EX3 until Sony replaced the linear heads that write on the SxS cards. They kept coming out of the slots badly scratched.

Best wishes.