DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Light weight inexpensive monitor for EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/143793-light-weight-inexpensive-monitor-ex1.html)

Sami Sanpakkila February 14th, 2009 05:47 PM

Light weight inexpensive monitor for EX1

Hi,

I'm looking for an external monitor for my EX1, Letus Extreme, redrock shoulder support setup.

I'm looking for something that would be very light, about 500 gram would be cool. It doesnt have to be a huge 9" monitor, 5-6" would be fine. Preferably could be used with my excisting EX1 batteries. And my budget is about 500-600 euros.

For now I mainly need it for a handheld setup so that I can use the shoulder support (its impossible to use it with the camera LCD as this way the rig is way too front heavy). If this pricerange allows it would be cool to be able to have at least a slight improvement over the ability to focus and see ground glass issues compared to the EX1 LCD which is very good already.

Any recommedations would be welcome! Thank you!

Sami

PS. Would prefer to be able to order from Europe!

Bob Grant February 14th, 2009 06:09 PM

The TV Logic 7" HD SDI monitor would be the closest I've seen however the price of it and every other monitor that'd meet your requirements is outside your budget.
I've tried using the cheap Ikan SD LCD monitor that I own. Pretty much useless, just not enough resolution for focusing.
The TV Logic has pixel to pixel mode that's scannable so you can select which part of the frame you're looking at in detail. That makes critical focussing much easier.

Have you considered the Hood Pro from Mike Stevens?
Hood-Pro Professional Hoods and Loupes
Much cheaper than any monitor.

Sami Sanpakkila February 14th, 2009 06:38 PM

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the suggestions! I've certainly considered the hood-pro but I would still like to have the rig set farther back on my shoulder. In its ideal balanced position the EX1 LCD is almost next to my ear. I guess I'll wait and save up to bumb my budget a bit unless nothing comes up.

Sami

Andrew Hollister February 14th, 2009 07:55 PM

Have you looked at the offerings from Mahattan LCD? Piotr W on here seems to love his.

Dennis Dillon February 14th, 2009 09:25 PM

TV Logic 7
Quad if you can wait.

Mitchell Lewis February 14th, 2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Dillon (Post 1012238)
TV Logic 7
Quad if you can wait.

Can you give a little more detail to those of us who aren't in the know about what "Quad" is? Thanks! :)

James Huenergardt February 15th, 2009 01:40 AM

I own the TV Logic and love it. Great monitor.

Piotr Wozniacki February 15th, 2009 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Hollister (Post 1012218)
Have you looked at the offerings from Mahattan LCD? Piotr W on here seems to love his.

Since Andrew mentioned me, I'll add that while the HD resolution of the 11" Manhattan is indeed great, it's a little too bulky for anything but stationary use with a tripod. This is no big deal for me, as I don't do too much run & gun, but those who do should keep it in mind.

Dean Harrington February 15th, 2009 05:28 AM

Ikan HD/SD monitor ...

Get a one pixel dead Ikan V8000HD 8-inch diagonal High Definition video monitor on eBay for around $400 dollars. It does have decent focus, is light and very inexpensive compared to monitors with the same resolution. I've had no problems with mine which I've had for about a year.

Sami Sanpakkila February 15th, 2009 05:55 AM

Dean, thats a great idea, Ill start hunting one down...

Dennis Dillon February 15th, 2009 10:25 AM

Quad is the ability to place 4 inputs SD?HD-SDI on the same screen. Or three withe the Vector/Waveform on #4.
800X480 resolution with LED backlight
• 4 auto detecting Composite/SD-SDI/HD-SDI Inputs
• 1 x HD/SD SDI Output (Selected input thru out)
• Precision Waveform & Vector Scope
• Audio Disembedder & Speaker Output
• Timecode Display
• UMD display
• User programmable Function keys
• Various display modes
4 picture
3 picture + 1 waveform/vector
2 picture + 2 waveform/vector
1 picture + 1 waveform/vector
1 main picture + 3 sub picture

Mitchell Lewis February 15th, 2009 10:42 AM

An TV Logic is planning to come out with a portable monitor that would do this? Fantastic! Anywhere on the net that I can find out more details? I can't seem to Google the TV Logic website. Only via Zacuto.

Paul Inglis February 15th, 2009 10:59 AM

I have recently purchased the LCM 700 to use with my jib and the EX-3. The battery is attached to the back via Velcro.

This is a cheap monitor (under a hundred) and does what I need it to do.

Giroud Francois February 15th, 2009 01:49 PM

but with a specification of 480x234 you get a lower res than the cam's LCD.

Paul Inglis February 15th, 2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroud Francois (Post 1012523)
but with a specification of 480x234 you get a lower res than the cam's LCD.

Sure, hence the price!

My HD 7" Monitor cost ten times as much! That equals my EX-3 output! and then some! Has an array of outputs/inputs and an internal battery! Plus a multitude of other benefits!

However I prefer the cheaper monitor for jib work as I don't have too worry about it getting damaged during the transportation or while working. As along as I can see the composition that's all I'm bothered about!

Since Sami said inexpensive I thought it might appeal!