DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Letus35 Extreme 35mm (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/143889-letus35-extreme-35mm.html)

Craig Terott February 16th, 2009 10:09 AM

Letus35 Extreme 35mm

Letus35 Extreme 35mm

Anyone use these without support rods? Is it even an option for handheld work?

Sean Donnelly February 16th, 2009 03:05 PM

I've done plenty of handheld work with a LEX using their rods, versions 1 and 2. I wouldn't suggest using it without some support, unless you want to replace your lens. The flip module alone is more weight than I'd want the lens threads to take. Also, don't underestimate the value of a follow focus, which you can't use without rods anyway.

-Sean

Craig Terott February 16th, 2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Donnelly (Post 1013059)
I've done plenty of handheld work with a LEX using their rods, versions 1 and 2. I wouldn't suggest using it without some support, unless you want to replace your lens. The flip module alone is more weight than I'd want the lens threads to take. Also, don't underestimate the value of a follow focus, which you can't use without rods anyway.

-Sean

I'm curious Sean... Is it possible for you to mount the Letus with rods (already set up of course) onto your cam in less than 1 minute?

Bob Hart February 19th, 2009 06:57 AM

F.W.I.W. I can do it on the standard Letus rods in 1m10s with the wedgeplate already previously fitted on the bottom of the camera and all the alignments already done.

If you have taken the wedgeplate off but all other fit up remains unaltered, a fairly quick get-it-right-first-time fix is to put it on snug-tight only so that you can force the plate's rubber cushion surface on the bottom of the camera, slide the camera on and forward to the rear of the adaptor, get it centered.

Then slide it off by shoving primarily on the wedgeplate, not the camera body, tighten the wedgeplate without moving it, then remount then secure the collar on front, then lock down the wedgeplate.

My personal preference is to have the rods and baseplate on a tripod, pointing almost vertically up so that very little weight or sideload occurs which might push something out of line. It is also easier to see what you are doing with the three screws around the bridgepiece ring with the assembled combinationb in the front-end up position.

The wedgeplate also slides more easily in this position and there is less likelyhood of leaving unsecured as you will be aware straight away.

I also prefer to fit up the Mini35-400 the same way.

Mitchell Lewis February 19th, 2009 08:38 AM

I just made little marks (with a Sharpie) on the bottom of my rods so I can easily switch from adaptor to no adaptor. Can't do it in one minute though. Probably takes me about 5-10 minutes. With the new Letus EX3 relay lens, it would be much faster as unthreading the mounting ring from the lens takes a lot of effort. It's too bad you can't leave it on the lens, but I've tried it and you see vignetting at full wide.

Sean Donnelly February 19th, 2009 12:19 PM

I agree with Mitchell, the hardest part is the lens mount ring. I'd say it consistently takes me about 2 minutes, but I always plan on 5-10. How often do you need to switch back and forth though? I've always found that the look is different enough (beyond shallow DOF) that I'll either shoot one way or the other for the whole project. I cut the foam in my case so the camera fits both ways as well.

-Sean