EX1 hard disk recording USB drive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 16th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 hard disk recording USB drive

I have to shoot over an extended period of time without the ability to access the camera.

Has anyone tested shooting with the ex1/ex3 using a USB expresscard with a USB hard disk plugged in?
James Venturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

How long is extended?

I'v used two SDHC 32GB cards for nearly 4 hours of recording time with EX1 and firmware 1.11. Sony's USB hard drive is 60GB. The two SDHC cards total 64GB so I don't see the purpose to the hard drive.

It's easier and cheaper to buy more SDHC cards than deal with a hard drive, powering it, potential shock issues that can result in data loss.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Major Player

I've found plugging in two of the Sony PHU-60K Hard drives totalling 120GB works well with just under 8 hours of record time. Not the cheapest method but it works very well (you can't overcrack the hard drive though).

An alternative would be to put a 32GB SxS or MxR with a 32GB SDHC Card and a PHU-60K which will total 92GB/6 hours.

Not had any issues with the PHU-60K but do prefer using either the SxS and/or MxR if I had a choice, but like you I sometimes need to leave the camera and have to high capacity memory.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

24 hours

I need to record for 24 hours.

I was thinking that it might be possible to purchase an expresscard34 to USB 2 adapter, plug it into a hard disk drive and then have it show up the Sony's 60Gb hard disk shows up, but instead of 60Gb its 1.5Tb.

Any ideas on this?
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Firewire and On Location
Old February 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

hmm... Why On Location vs. Final Cut 6.04? The 35mb is much nicer than the 25mb firewire option also. Are there benefits to On Location/Firewire over ioHD with FCP?
Old February 19th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Venturi View Post
hmm... Why On Location vs. Final Cut 6.04? The 35mb is much nicer than the 25mb firewire option also. Are there benefits to On Location/Firewire over ioHD with FCP?
I thought the same thing, but I just shot a 4 hour event at 1080 60i SP and it looks great. This was a very low light event shot with the gain at +3. But everything looks great! I guess I could do some screen grabs is you want to see.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds