DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Auto Focus Button Slow & Zoom Click? EX3. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/143950-auto-focus-button-slow-zoom-click-ex3.html)

Glynn Morgan February 16th, 2009 10:36 PM

Auto Focus Button Slow & Zoom Click? EX3.

I don't really want to start new threads on these issues, but I haven't found an answer on existing threads, so. Does anyone know why the one touch auto focus works so slowly? Sometimes I cannot even get it to focus if there is already another object in focus in the frame (even if it is just at the edge). I know it is better to just focus manually, but I like to make sure that if I ever need it I can be confident in it.

Also the zoom ring makes a sort of 'snap' noise when it changes direction using the W/T buttons on the grip or the handle.

Normal?

thanks.

Perrone Ford February 16th, 2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glynn Morgan (Post 1013284)
I don't really want to start new threads on these issues, but I haven't found an answer on existing threads, so. Does anyone know why the one touch auto focus works so slowly? Sometimes I cannot even get it to focus if there is already another object in focus in the frame (even if it is just at the edge). I know it is better to just focus manually, but I like to make sure that if I ever need it I can be confident in it.

You can NEVER be confident with auto focus. Don't worry yourself.

Glynn Morgan February 17th, 2009 02:52 AM

ah ok, cool

what about the wierd "snap"/"click" noise on the zoom ring when I use the W/T buttons.

Glynn Morgan February 22nd, 2009 06:18 AM

Been a little worried

That the zoom ring makes a snap noise when it changes directions when using the W/T buttons?

If its normal I'll be so relieved. I have had so many issues with equipment before.

Perrone Ford February 22nd, 2009 07:44 AM

I was on and off the zoom for several hours yesterday and I don't remember any clicking, but I was outside. Is it a loud noise? Where is the noise coming from?

Piotr Wozniacki February 22nd, 2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glynn Morgan (Post 1016192)
That the zoom ring makes a snap noise when it changes directions when using the W/T buttons?

If its normal I'll be so relieved. I have had so many issues with equipment before.

I cannot be sure whether this is normal or not (would prefer it to be completely silent of course), but my EX1's zoom also knocks slightly when starting movement in opposite direction. Sounds like play cancelling.

Matt San February 22nd, 2009 10:16 AM

check the manual zoom button under the camera - mine clicks when i change from man to auto as if its engaging a motor gear but ONLY on 1st use after changing man/auto control

Piotr Wozniacki February 22nd, 2009 02:14 PM

Before Glynn had drawn my attention to it, I never noticed the knocking in my camera during real live, i.e. very slow, zooming. Just checked it again and it does knock, but only when doing snap zooms (maximum speed, and changing directions).

Would like to hear from others, though. Oh, and Matt - I guess Glynn doesn't mean the single "click" from engaging the servo with the bottom switch (which is completely normal); what's worrying him is better described as "knocks" at the very beginning of alternating, full speed zooms in and out (Glynn please correct me if I'm wrong). If it doesn't get worse with time, there is nothing to worry about - who would zoom like this while shooting, after all?

Glynn Morgan February 23rd, 2009 05:00 AM

Yes, no that is right, the "knocks" you get when you are using the servo buttons - not up to scratch with my lingo ;).

If I use the ring directly, it's fine.