DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3 to film-out (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/144041-ex3-film-out.html)

David C. Williams February 18th, 2009 05:27 AM

EX3 to film-out

I'm involved with a low budget feature shooting in about 2 months. We are using an EX3 and an EX1, and the final product will be a 35mm print. We plan test shots and a 35mm print, and the Director has done 35mm film-outs before, but none of us have seen any EX footage treated before.

I would like to talk production into using a NanoFlash or FlashXDR, which will basically double our chroma resolution. I can't see a down side to that when blown up? We won't be using 35mm adapters at this stage.

Has anybody done film-out from and EX before, and have any handy hints along the lines of profiles, etc?

Mark David Williams February 18th, 2009 02:05 PM

David sounds expensive. Any reason you're not using super 16mm?

David C. Williams February 18th, 2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark David Williams (Post 1014083)
David sounds expensive. Any reason you're not using super 16mm?

It was originally a Red project, but finance bailed as a result of the current fiscal panic. I have an EX3, the director can source an EX1, so that's our solution.

I think the EX's will do a good job with good planning, so I want to get as many setup options as I can to try for our testing. The director hasn't decided on the look of the final output, but I'm leaning colour wise toward the over exposed, earthy BSG look, if not with the wobbly camera and zooms. The script is a hard edged thriller, violent with supernatural undertones.

Michael P. Yates February 18th, 2009 08:09 PM

You can try using an IO device to capture a better codec from the EX such as AJA or MXO2. I use an MXO2 with my ex1, and the results are wonderful. You can output via HD-SDI to HD Prores 422 HQ or even Uncompressed 10bit if you have a Mac desktop on set (cumbersome, but well worth it), or DVCPRO HD on a Macbook Pro. Any of these formats will output to film much better than the XDCAM EX codec which would need to be upresed to something like Prores, anyway. Color correction, effects, keying, all benefit from a higher bit rate and color space, and transferring to film will be much easier with native intra-frame only footage.

David Issko February 18th, 2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C. Williams (Post 1013896)

I would like to talk production int o using a NanoFlash or FlashXDR, which will basically double our chroma resolution.

David, the XDR is available but currently it seems with some reservations & limitations. The nanoflash will not be available for some months yet. I have one on order and I am patiently waiting for it.

Best wishes for your proposed project.

David C. Williams February 18th, 2009 11:25 PM

Thanks guys, yes external recording is what I'd prefer to maximize the EX vision quality. Whether the budget will stretch is the issue. Quite a bit will be on Steadicam, which rules out PC recording mostly, unless we can get a HD-SDI transmitter, tethering is not a good option on most shots. More cost though.

Hopefully the NanoFlash will be out in April as Convergent are planning. It's small size will be a boon.

Bruce Rawlings February 19th, 2009 05:38 AM

I saw the Flash XDR yesterday- it really does record outstanding pictures. I am not sure the Nano Flash is coming so soon. Surely your big project can stand a few thousand dollars to use tried and tested kit. It seems a bit risky to be using beta testing gear on an important project.

David Hutchinson February 19th, 2009 05:58 AM

[QUOTE= I use an MXO2 with my ex1, and the results are wonderful. You can output via HD-SDI to HD Prores 422 HQ or even Uncompressed 10bit [/QUOTE]

David is there a similar PC solution?

Micheal McAlexander February 19th, 2009 07:26 AM

hey david,

i'm very curious about this topic too. i'm planning an ultra-low budget feature this summer with my EX3 and I want to goto film-out eventually (or at least have the option should I pick up a distributor)

I too have a nano-flash on order and that was my plan to keep my rig mobile. the XDR is a bit bulky for mobile shots.

let's keep this thread alive!

have you contacted any labs that do the digital-to-film-out for info?

Micheal

David C. Williams February 19th, 2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Hutchinson (Post 1014425)
David is there a similar PC solution?

PC means personal computer to me. Recent mistakes in jargon by marketeers I try to ignore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micheal McAlexander (Post 1014452)
have you contacted any labs that do the digital-to-film-out for info?

Not my jurisdiction. I'm camera and steadicam, the director/writer/producer has that ball. I just want to draw in as much info on EX3 to film-out as I can as I'm the one pushing buttons and pointing things. I need to make it do what they want, or tell them why it can't.

This project is still months away from shooting, but I'll drop as much info as I can on the subject for those who are interested. And pose quite a few questions as well :)