card reader at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 21st, 2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Major Player

card reader

Can anyone suggest a quality usb card reader for the sxs cards?
Thanks, Craig Hollenback
Key West, Florida Keys, Key West attractions, Florida Keys hotels, Key West Information - Key West Travel Guide and attractions, videos online
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 11:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Currently you do not find anything compatible with USB SXS only has sony.
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:37 AM   #3
Trustee

There are plenty of SD HC readers available ranging from £3 up to about £30+
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Major Player

will all work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
There are plenty of SD HC readers available ranging from £3 up to about £30+
Is it safe to say that any card reader that will read standard Express cards will work with the sony cards?
Thanks, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Major Player

The Express card standard supports both PCI and USB interfaces. The Sony SxS cards use PCI, that's how they can get such tremendous transfer rates (100MB /second). The Expresscard adapters, like what we use to allow us to use SDHC cards in the EX, use the Expresscard USB standard which tops out at around 20MB/second.

If you want something to offload a Sony SxS, you'll need a reader that supports the Expresscard PCI standard. There are I believe 1 or 2 that do but they are go into your PCI slots in your Mac or PC, and they don't work that well on a Mac yet. The ExpressCard readers that plug into a USB port will read the USB type Expresscard, of which the Sony SxS isn't (it's a PCI Expresscard - the fast kind).

I had the same desire to be able to offload my SxS cards to my Mac Pro, rather than always going through my MacBook Pro (which has an Expresscard reader built in) and inquired with this synchrotech.com, makers of Expresscard / USB readers, here is what they said:

"Sorry, nothing FireWire or USB that works with SxS cards. For the Mac Pro, we have a PCIe to ExpressCard reader that works with SxS cards, but OS X doesn't implement PCIe hot swap on non-MacBook Pro machines. In other words, you would need to reboot the machine every time you want to read a new SxS card."

If you find one let me know though.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:25 PM   #6
Major Player

The Sony accessory is expensive but works with my MacPro or any computer with USB 2.0

Sony | SBAC-US10 SxS Memory Card USB Reader/Writer | SBAC-US10
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:58 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
The Sony accessory is expensive but works with my MacPro or any computer with USB 2.0

Pardon me, yes that is the only currently known reader that would plug into a USB port that would support SxS cards, and as you can see it's expensive. Right now being able to offload SxS to something other than my MacBook Pro doesn't justify the cost.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post

I use this with my Mac Pro and it works well. In the scheme of things I didn't find it that expensive. Buy a few Zacuto things and everything else will seem cheap and you will feel better & be more at peace with yourself.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds