ex3 laptop? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Major Player

ex3 laptop?

any ideas as to what I should get? I am finding it harder to find a laptop than when I built my home computer setup.

I am going to need it within the next few days for a shoot in AK and I am torn on what I should get.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I just bought the New MacBook Pro 17" with Upgraded Processor and 4 Gigs of Ram for use in the field. It has the New permanent 8 Hour Battery. Which i have yet to form an opinion on...lol.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it.
Shawn Dooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Major Player

oh, sorry, forgot to add I dont want a mac. I run vegas video.

I am looking at asus, they have a couple that have 2.4ghz processors, 4gb ram, a dedicated 1gb video card express card slot and firewire. I think it has everything I need to run all my programs (mostly concerned with vegas and magic bullet looks) and not take a thousand years to render short 2-5 minute pieces of video.

I have never owned an asus before, but if their computers are anything like their mother boards, it seems safe.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Inner Circle

if you edit HD, there are not so many laptop with big screen at 1920x1200, this being imho the minimum to edit HD.
Dell is making nice mobile workstation (the Precision serie) for example.
Nowadays, you can get big 300 to 500 megabytes disks on every laptop, and Core2 duo are powerfull enough to edit HD easily.
just make sure there is an express card slot on the machine.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Major Player

I have a Toshiba Qosmio G30 - it has 2 hardisks and you can keep one for video. The new G50 has a 18" widescreen. Guess HP has a model with 2 harddisks too. I would choose one that can connect to a extern e-sata too.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Asus makes really good laptops.

Be sure it has the express card slot. That's the problem with Macbooks, USB only.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:51 PM   #7
Major Player

the asus I am looking at has 1 express card slot, 1 esata port, 1 fire wire port, a vga and HDMI port, 5 usb slots.

it doesnt say if its express 34 or 54 but judging by the picture its 34.

I think this might be the one.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Major Player

Ian, I have a Macbook Pro and a Mac Pro and use Vegas on both of them with Bootcamp and it works Flawlessly! Anyways, just wanted you to know that you can use Vegas with a MacBook Pro and it works great!
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:12 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar View Post
Ian, I have a Macbook Pro and a Mac Pro and use Vegas on both of them with Bootcamp and it works Flawlessly! Anyways, just wanted you to know that you can use Vegas with a MacBook Pro and it works great!
yeah, I know, i just dont feel like spending all that money on a macbook pro. I have used macs before, I just like pc's more. not saying macs arent good, just that they werent for me.

good to know bootcamp works well though!
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:48 PM   #10
Major Player

i am looking on newegg. and the asus I am looking at only says express card, not express card/34. is it the same thing?
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:50 PM   #11
Major Player

I use a MBP late 2008 15".Works very well.

There is a 52mm and a 34mm expresscard slots on various computers, the 34mm is the newer one and the one the Sony S x S card uses.

Last edited by Bob Jackson; February 22nd, 2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: wrong spelling of s x s
Bob Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:51 AM   #12
Major Player

54/34 are both compatible with SxS cards. They both have the same connector interface, then the 54s get wider.

I have a HP-1050TX with a 54 slot I use for SxS, has HDMI, eSata, and a decent graphics card to play games when I'm not on the job :)
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:51 AM   #13
Major Player

I have to call asus tomorrow I guess, it doesnt say if this is the 54 or 34. its gonna kill me if its the 54, this thing is perfect. but if its the 54 I have to keep looking....so it goes.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:53 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post
54/34 are both compatible with SxS cards. They both have the same connector interface, then the 54s get wider.

I have a HP-1050TX with a 54 slot I use for SxS, has HDMI, eSata, and a decent graphics card to play games when I'm not on the job :)
oh, you posted just before me. thats great news. thanks!

edit--

if its the same interface...whats the point of having the two different models (54 vs 34)?
Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:32 AM   #15
Major Player

More area for electronics. You can get all sorts of devices that use ExpressCard, not just storage. It was designed as mobile version of the PCI-Express slots in desktops.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds