DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   New EX3 - What haven't I got that I need??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/144503-new-ex3-what-havent-i-got-i-need.html)

Joe Yaggi February 24th, 2009 09:40 AM

New EX3 - What haven't I got that I need???

Hi All,

We just took the plunge into an EX3! Very happy.

We live and work way outta range of decent dealers and support so I'm trying to get a handle on whether there's anything I'm missin'. Any thoughts'd be most welcome! Here's the kit as it stands today:

1. Camera + 1 x 8 gig SxS
2. ST-7 shoulder mount
3. Sony v mount battery x 2 plus charge
4. 2 x Sandisk SxS

Tomorrow plannig the following:

1. Convergent Design Flash XDR
2. SDHC cards in hopes of figuring out how to get hold of MxR Express card readers
3. Possibly a 32 gig or possibly the PHU-60k hard drive
4. Tripod plate

I've got the stock cables, Anything else I should be seriously thinking about? SDHDI cables maybe? Some weird thing I ain't thinkin' of?

Thanks in advence folks!

Joe

Nick Wilson February 24th, 2009 11:55 AM

Presumably you want a mic or two and headphones. I cannot see the point of the PHU-60K now MXR/SDHC is available - that combination is cheaper, lighter and doesn't need it's own power.

Ian Planchon February 24th, 2009 12:51 PM

sony's wide angle? I think its a great addition.

Vincent Oliver February 24th, 2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Yaggi (Post 1017554)

I've got the stock cables, Anything else I should be seriously thinking about? SDHDI cables maybe? Some weird thing I ain't thinkin' of? Joe

Camera, Lights, Action and bags of talent - a decent bag, try the Kata CC197

Good luck Joe

Buba Kastorski February 24th, 2009 02:31 PM

where did you get ST-7 from, I can't find it

Joe Yaggi February 24th, 2009 05:47 PM

Mornin'!

Thanks everyone.

I decided in the middle of the night to get the Century Optics zoom through. I think it'll be a while before I can raise additional cash for a decent fuji eng lens. Bag definitely and we do have mics.

I seem to recall reading that hdsdi cables were a bit hard to find even though it looks like bnc?

I got the ST-7 at Expandore in Singapore, same place I got the camera.

A note of warning, always double check everything in the box! The BC-U1 battery charger didn't have a power cable!

Lookin' forward to gettin' it out in the field... Leavin over the weekend!

Thanks guys

Joe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Yaggi (Post 1017554)
Hi All,

We just took the plunge into an EX3! Very happy.f?

Thanks in advence folks!

Joe

Christopher Drews February 24th, 2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Yaggi (Post 1017823)
Mornin'!
I seem to recall reading that hdsdi cables were a bit hard to find even though it looks like bnc?

BNC / HD-SDI are interchangeable. The thing to note are the cable gauge and cable runs.
You can have runs up to 500 ft if you have a Belden 8281. BNC cables are easily found.

Hope this helps,
-C

Chris Paporakis February 24th, 2009 07:18 PM

MxR Express card readers use for a beer :-)

Hi Joe,

Congratulations on your new camera, I second the comment about the hard Drive being superfluous with these cheap cards.

I bought a 2nd one of the MxR Express card readers, you are very welcome to use it with your new SS cards until you get one yourself.

In return I expect a beer or two :-)

What say you ??

Chris

Joe Yaggi February 24th, 2009 07:26 PM

Awesome Chris!

More than two beers matey for sure :) You made my day!

SDHC cards here (16 gig ) run 62 SGD or about 35 US. I'm heading over to buy more if you need anymore!

Joe

Joe Yaggi February 24th, 2009 07:28 PM

Hi Christopher,

This is very cool thank you.

Joe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Drews (Post 1017830)
BNC / HD-SDI are interchangeable. The thing to note are the cable gauge and cable runs.
You can have runs up to 500 ft if you have a Belden 8281. BNC cables are easily found.

Hope this helps,
-C

Bryan Daugherty February 24th, 2009 10:51 PM

Joe - Chris
I just wanted to say how great it is to see your camaraderie. Excellent way to look out for each other. Congrats on your EX3 we hope to join the Ex ranks soon...

Andrew Stone February 26th, 2009 12:27 AM

Joe,

I would put SDHC cards/adapters pretty much at the top of your list. Good sealed headphones (as mentioned) like the Sony MWR-7506 or earbuds with -25dB isolation. I would put a remote zoom device for your tripod handle on your list. I have the Manfrotto one. There are a couple of other makes. I would get a lens hood at the least for your Century zoom through. The Kata CC-197 bag is excellent in my view. Again essential. There are little things. If you are new to HD focus is oh so critical and keeping the lens clean is vital. Put a lens blower bulb on your list if you don't have one & the other obvious cleaning supplies.

That's enough for now.

Ryan Avery February 26th, 2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Stone (Post 1018663)
Joe,

I would put SDHC cards/adapters pretty much at the top of your list. Good sealed headphones (as mentioned) like the Sony MWR-7506 or earbuds with -25dB isolation. I would put a remote zoom device for your tripod handle on your list. I have the Manfrotto one. There are a couple of other makes. I would get a lens hood at the least for your Century zoom through. The Kata CC-197 bag is excellent in my view. Again essential. There are little things. If you are new to HD focus is oh so critical and keeping the lens clean is vital. Put a lens blower bulb on your list if you don't have one & the other obvious cleaning supplies.

That's enough for now.

Century Sunshade for EX1/EX3 .75x Zoom-though:

WIDE ANGLE SUNSHADE/FILTER HLD - Schneider Optics

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Andrew Stone February 27th, 2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Stone (Post 1018663)
... like the Sony MWR-7506...

That should read MDR-7506.

Justin Benn February 28th, 2009 02:36 AM

Baseplate.

You must put a decent baseplate at the top of your list. Current favourites seem to be those by VF gadgets or DM Accessories. I have the VF version.

You'll regret it if you don't and you really don't want to go there.

Jus.