EX-3/Tripod base Plate--DM Plate vs.VFGagets at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 24th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Major Player

EX-3/Tripod base Plate--DM Plate vs.VFGagets

Hello all....

As a news shooter, I am thinking about getting a tripod base plate for my EX-3, as I still can use my old betacam tripod plate. The two I am looking at is the DM Assoc. plate at around $350.00 or the VFGagets.com plate at almost the same price.

so which one?

A former owner of a EX-3 told me tonight, that he had a DM plate on his camera at one time to test and reported that he was not impressed with it....so before I spend some bucks on one of them, in these strange times, your opinions are important.

thanks in adv...

Bill Griffin
Dallas, Texas, USA
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Major Player

I personally was happy with the DM version, but I remember some people mentioning that they didn't like the finish and prefered the black finish to the finish Jeff (DM) applied. However, Jeff just finished a new batch all in black.

Also, you can mount the EX3 with Jeff's basic plate (re-using the original Sony pad) and the wedge mount for your tripod plate for $240 total. VF's is $310 for the pair.

If you choose the extended shoulder bracket for the EX3 along with the wedge, it's $360 for Jeff's and $410 for the VF set.

DM also has the pivoting battery plate upgrade for $60 (which I like), and battery mounts for AB or IDX. He was also working on rod adapters last I talked with him.

I haven't tried the VF set of parts myself, so I can't really judge between them. I can simply say that the DM one is well-machined and is solid. Oh, and I think the parts are held to each other with more screws, if that means anything to you.
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Major Player

You could check out my DM plate, if you like.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have the basic DM plate and am very happy with it. It is very solid and well made. I have not tried the VF plate so can't compare.
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Major Player

I have the DM basic for my EX3 mounting to Steadicam. Works great, very stable.
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #6
Major Player

DM plate ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
You could check out my DM plate, if you like.

Ned Soltz
Ned ... which one is yours? I've got the one from DM and it works very well. Of course, I will have to see how it 'might' work with a 35mm adapter and matte box! LOL
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #7
Major Player

I have the sturdy and strong VF Gadgets plate. Locks into the Sony VCT 14U quick release plate. Superb!
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #8
Trustee

Two DM plates here down here. Our EX3s go directly onto our Miller Arrow 25s no sweat.

One issue we've found that will affect all the plates. They increase the distance between the centre of the lens and the camera base. This could be a problem with certain matte box kits that do not have enough or any adjustment. It is a problem with the Chrosziel EX kit, I had to swap out the camera plate for one from Zacuto to get the matte box to fit and even then I'd say the matte box was about 1mm below the centre of the lens.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #9
Trustee

VF plate is very good. I was skeptical about it at first, but I'm converted now.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #10
Major Player

I have the DM with the shoulder mount.

Goes on my Sachtler head just perfectly. What I've done is mounted one of the longer platform Manfrotto base plates to the Sachtler and the plate to the bottom of the DM plate.

I have found that using the cheek pad in addition to the DM shoulder mount helps. I also have the BeBob battery adapter with a V-mount battery. This provides some counterweight. It still is a very awkward camera. I still do get considerable strain on my right hand and it is not at all like a true shoulder mount camera. The DM mount and shoulder pad makes things a lot better than just the basic EX-3 but I still consider the EX-3 a far better tripod camera than handheld.

Ned
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #11
Major Player

I have the VF Gadgets Plate attached to my EX-3 and love it! The DM Accessories looks very similar, so I can't see why it wouldn't be as good.

I have the Flat Cold Shoe Mount from DM Accessories and think its a quality product!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #12
Major Player

The first batch of black anodized plates for the EX3 from DM-accessories have made it back from manufacturing. If anyone is interested I will post up a photo once mine arrives.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #13
Trustee

I saw the DM plate in person for the first time yesterday (Cascade Video Show - Portland, OR). It looked pretty nice. It had the mount on the bottom that allows you to mount it to the Sony quick release plate. It seemed to work really well. The balance was really nice with a Anton Bauer battery on the back. I wasn't thrilled about the grey color, but it sounds like they are coming out with it in black as well.

The only "issue" I saw was the potential of the foam shoulder mount wearing out quickly. The foam provided a very comfortable pad for your shoulder, but he type of foam used was a very open cell type foam (not like closed cell foam in a wet suit for example). I would be slightly concerned that over time the foam would break down with use. But if that happened, it would be VERY easy to replace the foam with something else.
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Griffin View Post
Hello all....

As a news shooter, I am thinking about getting a tripod base plate for my EX-3, as I still can use my old betacam tripod plate. The two I am looking at is the DM Assoc. plate at around $350.00 or the VFGagets.com plate at almost the same price.

so which one?

A former owner of a EX-3 told me tonight, that he had a DM plate on his camera at one time to test and reported that he was not impressed with it....so before I spend some bucks on one of them, in these strange times, your opinions are important.
Just as a note, if there is any owner dissatisfaction with the plates, I would appreciate specific feedback. I want to make it right and improve the product. If it means taking the part back for a refund, or exchanging it for an improved plate that meets their needs, then I'm willing to do that. Until now, I hadn't heard of anything negative from people that have used them, it's generally been overwhelmingly positive. So far, I have responded to the requests for black, and have added more battery mount options too.

My email address is on the site and in the instructions, and an email or private message can be sent using this forum too.

Last edited by Jeff DeMaagd; February 26th, 2009 at 02:08 PM.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #15
Regular Crew

We have the basic DM plate on a rental camera and it does what we bought it for, protecting the bottom screw plate from being ripped out of the camera by customers who insist on transporting camera and tripod, by the camera handle alone.

Although you can fit a wedge plate to work with the Sony VCT-U14, I find without the benefit of a rear lock down point I prefer the 2 screw snap plate mount.

You can use ths Chrosziel Sony Universal 401-51 Light Weight Rod mount for Follow Focus and Matte Box mounting. You have to mount the rod holders upside down so that the wing tab tighteners are facing down. The only issue is you can't mount the camera by snap plate with the 401-51 in use as the 401-51 is slightly higher than the snap plate itself.

At some stage we'll modify a 401-51 by cutting it back, re-tapping and grinding down the sides which will allow us to mount both 401-51 and snap plate.

Jeff, If you haven't already, please look at a product for the underside of the EX-1!
Scott Webster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds