Newest Firmware Version EX3? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 8th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #16
Major Player

oops a double post.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Reich View Post
damn..... but I (so far) haven't used focus assist, just plain ol' manual focus. (with the aid of expanded focus once in a while)
So maybe this isn't a big concern, unless you use focus assist?
I also use manual focus and have had my EX3 since October 2008. So far the issue has not manifested itself even after a three hour shoot. "If it's not broke-don't fix it" is how I was raised as a Broadcast Engineer. Moreover, I'm not going to ship my camera 1000's of Km to a Sony depot at either end of the Country to have this done. The local Sony dealer is clueless as to EXn issues and I would not trust them to do anything firmware related. YMMV. Cheers!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #18
Major Player

Having recently upgraded to 1.03 I was concerned that I didnt' have the latest firmware version 1.04. 1.03 fixes the focus issue. 1.04, according to Sony SJ has to do with the flicker setting. Here's the reply I got from Sony:

Your camera was upgraded to V1.03 on 2/5/09. The new version was released recently. The difference between V1.03 and V1.04 is V1.03 has default setting of “Auto” and “50Hz” for “flicker reduce”. V1.04 has default setting of “OFF” and “60HZ”. Once you set the “flicker reduce” to “OFF” and “60Hz”, the unit will stay at the setting similar to V1.04 unless you reset to default setting.
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chandler View Post
The difference between V1.03 and V1.04 is V1.03 has default setting of “Auto” and “50Hz” for “flicker reduce”. V1.04 has default setting of “OFF” and “60HZ”. Once you set the “flicker reduce” to “OFF” and “60Hz”, the unit will stay at the setting similar to V1.04 unless you reset to default setting.
Just out of curiosity I checked my camera to see if they new firmware had nuked my flicker setting adjustment. It hadn't so my settings had been restored to the pre-firmware update process. I have my flicker reduce set to "on" for 60Hz and it is still that way, thank goodness.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds