Newest Firmware Version EX3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 27th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #1
New Boot

Newest Firmware Version EX3?

Hi,

my Sony PMW EX-3 the firmware is v1.02_0078

How do I update to firmware of the EX-3 to use MxR?

And to firmware it be not updated, doesn't MxR work?

Thank you
Eduardo Castelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Major Player

You don't need to update the firmware on the EX-3 to use MxR Cards. It's the EX-1 that need a firmware update. I use the MxR Cards without issue on my EX-3 and I haven't updated my firmware.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank you Paul!

I now will need to buy the cards SDHC! Which manufacturer do you use for their works?
Eduardo Castelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Next time, you may want to try a search.

Here are a few links:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...sxs-cards.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...-shipping.html
Old February 27th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quick Question - Newest Firmware Version EX3?

What is the Newest Firmware Update for the EX3?

is it 1.04?

thanks

Shawn
Shawn Dooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Castelan View Post
Thank you Paul!

I now will need to buy the cards SDHC! Which manufacturer do you use for their works?
I personally use the Transcend 16GB SDHC but I have heard the Sandisk Ultra II & the Extreme III also work! There are many threads/posts on this forum, covering this topic!

Happy shooting,

Paul
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #7
Major Player

Just got back from NJ where Sony service was kind enough to let me drop off my EX3 in the morning and had it ready after lunch.

They updated firmware to v 1.04_0084, tested for 100 minutes, adjusted backfocus and just generally looked over camera.

I had not experienced the loss of manual focus bug, but I figured that I didn't want to wait until it happened. And while I had to be in the NY-NJ area, I was able to call Sony a few days in advance and arrange drop off service in Teaneck.

SDHC still works.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #8
Major Player

When did the 1.04 firmware come out, how critical is this patch & is it just for squashing bugs?

I just did the 1.03 patch not that long ago.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #9
Major Player

Since the firmware update fixes the loss of manual focus issue, I would say that it is a critical update.

Ned
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #10
Major Player

dumb question

This is yet another thing I should no doubt already know (there seems to be a lot of these lately)
But where do I find out what firmware version my camera has? I can't seem to find anything in the menus....
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Reich View Post
This is yet another thing I should no doubt already know (there seems to be a lot of these lately)
But where do I find out what firmware version my camera has? I can't seem to find anything in the menus....
Press the select, cancel, and menu buttons all at once--but not the ones on the handle (they won't work),the ones next to the menu button. New menu items will appear at the bottom and you scroll to IF.

Sony's management of EXn firmware updates is horribly screwed up. We can only hope that global economic realities will force them to refocus and get up to speed with rest of the industry, so that we can download firmware updates and apply to our EXn camera's. Until then, your questions are by no means dumb or ill founded.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks, Barry
good lord, how does Sony expect us to figure this stuff out?
okay... so I have determined I have v. 1.02 something. how does this manual focus bug manifest itself? I want to make sure I recognize it if I see it. I almost always use manual focus....
thanks very much. it's simply amazing the amount of information available on this forum!

Last edited by Derek Reich; March 7th, 2009 at 02:02 PM.
Derek Reich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
Since the firmware update fixes the loss of manual focus issue, I would say that it is a critical update.

Ned
Hmmm. I got the 1.03_0082 update and it was supposed to address this. I guess they have made more tweaks to the firmware.

I'll be calling up Sony Canada on Monday to get the scoop.
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Reich View Post
how does this manual focus bug manifest itself? I want to make sure I recognize it if I see it. I almost always use manual focus.
The documented issue with it appears to happen when you are using manual assist with the focus ring pushed forward. There is another menu driven option that puts it closer to being in auto than in manual. When you use either/or functions, running the camera for a long time, the manual focus ring will not respond to your adjustments. It's the EX3's version of "Blue Screen of Death" where the machine just won't respond. OK I'm overstating it but you get the point.

There are a couple of threads here on the matter. One is very long and cited many instances of the focus locking up when you are in manual assist mode and shooting continously for a long time. Focus lock times seem to range from half an hour to over 3 hours, with most instances being closer to the 3 hour end of the spectrum.
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #15
Major Player

damn..... but I (so far) haven't used focus assist, just plain ol' manual focus. (with the aid of expanded focus once in a while)
So maybe this isn't a big concern, unless you use focus assist?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds