DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   SDHC cards exclusively? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/144803-sdhc-cards-exclusively.html)

Scott Hayes February 28th, 2009 05:33 AM

SDHC cards exclusively?

Just curious if anyone has sold their SxS and been using SDHC exclusively?
Or is that too risky?

Paul Inglis February 28th, 2009 06:20 AM

If you don't have any SxS cards then you won't be able to overcrank! I think everyone has at least one SxS card if not more.

Paul Kellett February 28th, 2009 06:30 AM

1 sxs card for me, used rarely, transcend 16gb sdhc used 99% of the time.

Paul.

John Peterson February 28th, 2009 07:14 AM

Personally, I think it is a good thing that you can't overcrank very much using the SDHC cards. All one has to do is look at the EX1 and EX3 videos on Vimeo to see how much this technique is overused. It is actually a blessing when I can watch a video without people or objects zipping around at high speed for no artistic or practical reason except that nearly everyone else does it.

John

Nick Wilson February 28th, 2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Peterson (Post 1019925)
It is actually a blessing when I can watch a video without people or objects zipping around at high speed for no artistic or practical reason except that nearly everyone else does it.

Sounds like undercranking or timelapse, for which SDHC works just fine.

:-)

Vincent Oliver February 28th, 2009 08:41 AM

I have never been that impressed with the overcranking feature. Maybe I would be if the speed could be increased from 60 to to say 120 or 240 using full 1920x1080 resolution.

I also wish that the LCD could be turned off when doing time lapse filming, at least this would save the battery

Paul Kellett February 28th, 2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1019968)
I also wish that the LCD could be turned off when doing time lapse filming, at least this would save the battery

Fold it away then, that switches the screen off.

Paul.

Ted OMalley February 28th, 2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 1019984)

Paul.

Paul,

I just tried following your directions and now my EX3's LCD is dangling by bundle if tiny wire strands. Is there a second step? ;-)

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Erik Phairas February 28th, 2009 10:32 AM

I keep the 8 gig card in slot 1. I use slot 2 for my SDHC cards. BUT since I never use 24p I could overcrank all I want as often as I want with either card.

Vincent Oliver February 28th, 2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 1019984)

Paul.

I hadn't thought of that Paul. Must find my EX3 manual to see how to fold it.

Christopher Dye February 28th, 2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Peterson (Post 1019925)
Personally, I think it is a good thing that you can't overcrank very much using the SDHC cards. All one has to do is look at the EX1 and EX3 videos on Vimeo to see how much this technique is overused. It is actually a blessing when I can watch a video without people or objects zipping around at high speed for no artistic or practical reason except that nearly everyone else does it.

John

I agree. It's the new zoom I guess. There's a lot of complaints out there of overusing a zoom lens, but not many about this. Before I bought an EX3, I spent quite a while looking for footage of the EX1 at normal speed. Almost every video out there was over/undercranked, but then again, I suppose most of the videos out there are people just experimenting with the cameras features. It started to get a little annoying though.

Paul Kellett February 28th, 2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1020004)
I hadn't thought of that Paul. Must find my EX3 manual to see how to fold it.

Oh EX3 sorry, i thought you were using an EX1, it doesn't say what you're using on your signature.

ATTENTION ALL EX3 USERS,, DO NOT TRY AND FOLD YOUR SCREEN AWAY !!
See Ted's post above for results.

Paul.

Duncan Craig February 28th, 2009 01:07 PM

I bought my EX1 without any cards, so I'm using SD only.
Although I've only had three shoots so far with it.

Jason Davenport February 28th, 2009 06:44 PM

I've got all the SDHC stuff but never use it, can't get passed the time it take to transfer, with clip browser and CRC. All my shoots end with me downloading to clients portable HD and hearing them "is it ready yet?" I can't say yes, in one hour....

Paul Joy February 28th, 2009 06:58 PM

I like the over-cranking effect personally, I think it enhances emotion and feeling, especially when shooting people. Yes, it is probably over-used but that doesn't mean it's not useful.

I have 48Gb of SxS, if I needed more recording space I would buy more SxS. As much as the MxR stuff seems reliable, I just like knowing that the media I'm writing too has the added headroom / bandwidth.

It's a bit like using normal DV tape in an HDV cam, it usually works just fine but you know the first time it loses you footage will be the worst time it could possibly happen.

I guess it's just a case of SxS being reasuringly expensive :)