Jerky Zoom - Sony's reply: That is normal at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:13 AM   #1
New Boot

Jerky Zoom - Sony's reply: That is normal

Hi forum,

we have a big problem:

We own two EX1 cameras, everything works fine. Then one EX1 gets an unintendionally dive in a swimming pool. Bad Bad...we have a video...the camera was running... :)

So we have to buy a new one. This new Model Production Date Dez08 has a freaking jerky zoom. If you try to do a slow zoom, no crawling zoom, its stops frequently.

Here is a link for an Example Footage:

RapidShare Webhosting + Webspace

We send the camera in (Silver Support in Europe), got the camera back, same problem. Send the camera in again: Answer from Sony "That is a normal behavior". mmh..they asked the Product Manager !! same answer from him: That Video looks normal, no defect. He also mention that the zoom speed on the Video is very low and so that is normal because a zoom speed under 10 doesnīt work.

After some dicsussion they send us a brand new camera (Firmware 1.12) with the comment: You know that your camera is not defect and the new camera will do the same".

We think: bla bla..because we know that canīt be normal. And we owned two EX1 without any Problems.

But then: The new camera arrives today with the same jerky zoom. I can not belive that this is normal. Can anybody confirm that their EX1 has the same jerky zoom and if this is a normal behavior for an EX1??

I got the jerky zoom with the large zoom handle or extremly with the ZOE or Manfrotto Remote Control. No Problems with the Top handle with fixed speed.

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Hanno Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Did you show the product manager the footage from the other EX1 camera you have that didn't take a dive? Or any unjerky footage? That's what I would do.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

my zooms are not jerky from slow to fast i am on 1.11
Matt San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I bought the EX1 in Dec 2007. It had the jerky zoom under 10. I sent it back in Feb 2008. They confirmed the issue and replaced the camera. It's now smooth down to 2.

I have no idea why they're treating you like this. You should simply say you KNOW it's not normal because you've tested other EX1s and they should honor their warranty and repair or replace the camera.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I also had a terrible jerky zoom on slow zoom speed. I took it into Sony Canada and they're in the process of replacing the lens on my EX1 right now. They told me that it would be covered under warranty and that it would take about 48 hours to complete.
Now if only they didn't change for firmware upgrades up here! :(
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #6
New Boot

Thank You for your replys. So it seems that a jerky zoom is not really common...

Thanks Chris for the idea. We done a side by side test. One of our old EX1 / with the band new EX1.

Here is the link

RapidShare Webhosting + Webspace

We found something else: Both cameras had exact the same settings, but you can see in the video the color is reall different? Huh? Maybe they changed something in the new Firmware 1.12? Thats bad because we use the camera in a multiple ex1 setup....so when every EX1 has a different color...good night.
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #7
New Boot

That is really unbelievable.

After many calls they said "We cannot help you, that is really normal. A Zoom Speed under 10 ist not guaranteed"

What???

So if you have luck you got a camera like the left one in the video, if not you got the right one. That can not be true...

I understand that a zoom speed of 1 or 2 may be not really smooth but 10?

So when this is normal why nobody in the forum crys that out? Or am i fussy?

Now i want this in written form, but that do not help me either. :(...bad bad...
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Klein View Post
Or am i fussy?
Not at all. It is unacceptable. I've heard of this issue a few times before over the last 18 months. My EX1 does not exhibit this trait - it had vignette, backfocus and power issues, which are now all fixed. Jerky Zoom would, in the UK at least, make this camera 'not fit for purpose'.

The trouble is that Sony and its dealers are made up of a great many people, and by the law of averages, there will be some people in that huge group who just don't get it. But attempts at bucking the system will also be futile (or you get really lucky), so it's a case of escalating your case and continually making the point that your unit is a 'lemon' - if you'll excuse the Brit parlance.

A thought - if the EX1 came out of the Z1-7 stable, I doubt we'd have these conversations. But I guess they wouldn't be quite so insanely great? A bit like how the BBC allegedly used to buy Manfrotto tripods - 'show me a dozen and I'll find three that work and buy them'.
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #9
Major Player

Time to take it up with Sony corporate, methinks.
And time to name names, as in calling out the names of those managers who aren't prepared to go the long haul with professionals using professional products.
The EX1 isn't a consumer item.
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I would totally bring it up with Sony corporate.
I just received mine back from Sony Canada (which was 3 1/2 months out of warranty) and they just finished replacing the entire lens in order to fix the jerky zoom problem. And yes, it did fix the problem. It's nice and smooth at #2 zoom.
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #11
Major Player

Justin just so you know Sony Canada will do a firmware update for free if the update is not a feature update. On the EX1 the firmware update allowed EX1 owners to use USB devices from the Express Card slots so you don't have to buy expensive SxS cards for straight ahead shooting. If the update is to squash only software bugs, like the recent one on the EX3, then Sony Canada does the update at no charge.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #12
New Boot

as things are now:

Prime Support will send me a second new EX1. They can not test the unit for a jerky zoom before shipping, because its brand new:(.

So i have my fingers crossed....i let you know.
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #13
Major Player

Edited an interview that was shot on EX 1 and there was a slow (and yes, jerky) zoom in at a point in time during the 5 min interview.
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #14
New Boot

It is sad. Now i got it handwritten that Sony does not guarantee the working of a Remote Control. We have two EX1 cameras which works perfectly with the Bebob Zoe and the Manfrotto EX521, but the third camera get us the zoom as you can see in the video. Sony send us two new cameras -> same behaviour

Sony say:

"We are unable to guarantee functionality with non-SONY products and In my opinion the unit is working correctly as to our expectations"

They wonīt test the Camera with the Remote Conrtol because it is not a Sony product ??? Sony doesnīt has a Remote Control.

Because of the small feedback i can not believe that is really normal or doesnīt anybody use a remote control like the bebob or the zoe?

So please: Who has a jerky slow Zoom with a Remote Control and who not (configuration/how old is your camera model)??
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #15
Sponsor: Westside AV

I had issues with my EX3 lens, zoom would not work slow, it was very jerky. I got a replacement lens from Sony, it took about 10 days. My dealer lent me a spare lens while mine was at the Sony service center.

When I got the new lens I had to set the Back Focus and it worked perfectly. I actually did it outdoors with a person holding BF chart, I was amazed that it worked.

I have not had any issues since.

Olof Ekbergh
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds