Shooting a 25p project at 30p for low light (SHUTTER OFF) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shooting a 25p project at 30p for low light (SHUTTER OFF)

Thx for all the help on the best profile for low light. I am shooting in Rio, Brazil 60htz for a Swiss project 50htz.

I have had my camera is set to 25p and I have been using 1/60 shutter on scenes that show flicker.

For low light shooting without shutter (shooting on streets at night with available light) is my best option to shoot 30p without shutter and in post convert the footage to 25p to match the rest of the project?

Here is a sample of light levels and flicker. I have a small battery powered tube light lighting the subject which I turn off towards the end of the clip: Favela Light Test at 50Htz EX1 NO SHUTTER on Vimeo

Thx, Ad
Adam Levins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #2
Major Player

If you are shooting 25P with shutter off then you have a shutter speed of 1/25, and I could see no flicker of the street lights in your sample. Considering that you must deliver 25P, I suggest you shoot at that unless tests show that you must do otherwise. 30P will give best flicker rejection in 60Hz lighting, but be guided by tests not by theory.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #3
Major Player

It might also be worth testing interlaced if your project can stand the drop in resolution. The EX does dual row summation in interlace, and your ISO rating doubles making it twice as sensitive. You lose some resolution in interlace, and you'll lose more de-interlacing, but it's worth a quick test to see if the trade off is worth the doubling of ISO.
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
I could see no flicker of the street lights in your sample.
It appears as wavy lines that are especially visible across the bottom half of the screen. I guess my question is has anyone had any experience cutting 30p into a 25p project?
Adam Levins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Major Player

I see noise on your Vimeo post that is maybe flicker -- guess rather more obvious on your original. In that shot on Vimeo flicker seems a minimal problem.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Trustee

Give 720/50p shutter off a go, I think you gain an extra stop I cant remmber. This is what I shoot in and when needed I go up to +6db of gain and it still holds the footage well.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds