The thing I dislike MOST about my EX1... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The thing I dislike MOST about my EX1...

For me, it's the way the LCD is off level. When I flip it out, it is angled downwards somewhat. Despite my tripod being absolutly level, the image can look off level and I often find myself hunting for horizontal or vertical lines in shot to check my sanity.

Is it just my cam or is this common?

Peter
Peter Mee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #2
New Boot

Yep, I feel your pain bud - my EX1 does the same thing. Sometimes it's a small comfort to have the on screen markers up just to check you're square. My old Z1P is the same too - you think I'd be used to it by now. There doesn't seem to be any remedy except to use a Hoodpro type arrangement so you can't see the rest of the camera when you're shooting!
Cheers Mal
Mal Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Major Player

For me that flimsy little mind bogglingly retarded camera - off - media power switch tops the list.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #4
Major Player

White balance button placement and not being able to snap zoom in servo mode.
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm disappointed at the lack of knowing exactly where your focus is at on the LCD. The DoF bar is nice i guess but if you start on a wide shot and zoom in you could be off by 10 feet or even more.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #6
Major Player

I would like a switch that disables all but the record and zoom button. Moving the camera around I have hit buttons by mistake.
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
I would like a switch that disables all but the record and zoom button. Moving the camera around I have hit buttons by mistake.
Now THAT would be useful. I have also done the same thing, especially the $#@%$ buttons under the handle.

But for me the worst thing about the EX1 is the ergonomics. The power button comes a very close second.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Not have a pre record cache. I do lots of "news" style shoots and I often have to leave the camera running for long periods since subjects tend to arrive late.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I second Craig's point!
Old March 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #10
Inner Circle

When the Z1's screen was so good and matt, why did they have to make the EX1's screen hi-gloss? In direct sunlight you see the Z1's image, but I have to move my head about with the EX1 to get rid of all those fringe pattern colours (or whatever they are). OK, it's a lot sharper than the Z1's screen.... so I'll shut up.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #11
Trustee

The thing I hate most about the EX1 is not having one so I could have something to complain about...
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Not have a pre record cache.
I changed to the EX1 from a Panny HVX200 and the pre-record buffer is the feature I miss most of all. (In fact there aren't many other features of the HVX that I miss at all).
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #13
Regular Crew

This feels a little like complaining about Giselle Bundchen's elbows, but... the EX1 remote is pretty bad. My HV20 remote works much better.
Old March 8th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #14
Inner Circle

The thing I miss about the EX1 is not having a F35. But for the time being (likely forever), it will do nicely until the cargo plane comes home and brings the good thing for the people.

I think it is a fair deal for the the price/results. With a very compact form, not everyone can be pleased. I'm not so unhappy about the sliding switch. It is an improvement over the little press and twist affair holdover from the handycams on the ZI/FX1/PD150.

They had to make the call between it sticking too far out into the line of fire or being less obtrusive and therefore protected. (Cut the booger nail longer on the pinky finger and the thumbnail longer to dig into the channel it slides in and you will be fine after a bit of practice).

An "all disable" switch would be fine but for mugs like me or learners under pressure to get a one-off event job done, it would add one more layer of possible confusion at the worst possible time. To implement this function now after the design has been locked off might mean it has to be menu based, possibly to a user assign button.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #15
Regular Crew

OK - I'm going to cheat (and rant) a little.

Here's another thing I dislike most about the EX1 - in fact, about every video camera I've owned to date (I can't afford those interchangeable lenses and for my work I need a small camera anyway).

Sony along with all the other manufacturers fit lenses that have f-stop (iris) settings from about f1.9 to f16.

But these lenses are UNUSABLE from f8 to f16.
If you inadvertently set your iris to anything over f6.7, the image is soft to say the least.

So WHY do they all do this?
(What's the point - apart from conning the poor buyer / operator)?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds