Rolling Shutter and flash (again, sorry!) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 8th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #16
Major Player

I agree with the comments about not making an issue out of it. Present it and hopefully all will go well.

One of the best pieces of advice that was given to me about dealing with snafus (real or perceived) was to "stand around and act natural". Its a solution that often works well when you are in sticky situations.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
nowhere (in that clip) did you get completely washed out and there are enough good frames for the eye to integrate
Thing is that clip was shot in good light - the photographers are just using flash to blip the shadows and get sparkle off the jewelery.

The wedding video (take the cake cutting) is often shot in far less light which might well mean open aperture and gain up. Now the barrage of electronic flash really blasts the video footage, and third and quarter exposed frames are far more noticeable and objectionable.

I'm betting this is being worked on in R & D. We've had CMOS chips in camcorders since 2005 now, so I'm hoping a cure won't be far off.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Would a 720p crop mode make this better when it's possible to shoot in 720p60? I realize that camera flashes (or any fast light changes) expose the problem. I'd like to have a native 720p mode that isn't downsized from the EX1 full raster. It would help with televideography for wildlife.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #19
Inner Circle

As has been said the slower the shutter speed the better. I shoot a lot of lightning and if I use 25P no shutter I get very, very few partial frames. If it's night time I use 2 frame SLS and never get partial frames.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds