DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Backpack to carry EX3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/145395-backpack-carry-ex3.html)

Nathan Apffel March 8th, 2009 02:19 PM

Backpack to carry EX3?

Does anyone know of a good backpack that holds the EX3 plus a few odds and ends? I have two different petrol backpacks, but neither fit the ever cumbersome Sony EX3 viewfinder properly. Most of my work is in the jungles in South America so I need to be able to carry the rig on my back.

Side note- Has anyone tried to remove the EX3 viewfinder from the camera, and have an electrician rewire it so you can take the viewfinder on and off, like the JVC 100-250 series? I love my EX3, but the viewfinder's bulky shape is really annoying. Thank you in advance!

Nate

Bob Kerner March 8th, 2009 04:39 PM

I have a Think Tank Airport Accelerator backpack for my EX-1. I can pack the camera, batteries, audio and a small palm corder in. I imagine that the EX-3 would fit fine; however, I'm not sure how high your viewfinder sits above the camera.

The search feature should bring up about 10 threads on the EX-3 backpack question.

Dean Harrington March 8th, 2009 08:34 PM

Ex3 ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Apffel (Post 1024436)
Does anyone know of a good backpack that holds the EX3 plus a few odds and ends? I have two different petrol backpacks, but neither fit the ever cumbersome Sony EX3 viewfinder properly. Most of my work is in the jungles in South America so I need to be able to carry the rig on my back.

Side note- Has anyone tried to remove the EX3 viewfinder from the camera, and have an electrician rewire it so you can take the viewfinder on and off, like the JVC 100-250 series? I love my EX3, but the viewfinder's bulky shape is really annoying. Thank you in advance!

Nate

A good backpack that will fit in airline carry-on luggage compartments, with some extra gear, has not been produced by anyone as far as I know. I have a Kata BP-502 which I love but ... it doesn't fit in the carry-on compartment ... !

Avery Sellards March 8th, 2009 10:38 PM

This might work...

CineBags - Life on Location

Andrew Stone March 8th, 2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Kerner (Post 1024503)
I imagine that the EX-3 would fit fine; however, I'm not sure how high your viewfinder sits above the camera....

The search feature should bring up about 10 threads on the EX-3 backpack question.

The best thread I have read here on the EX3 backpack solution is this one. Worth slogging through...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...le-ex-3-a.html

Alastair Traill March 9th, 2009 04:33 AM

[QUOTE=Nathan Apffel;1024436]Does anyone know of a good backpack that holds the EX3 plus a few odds and ends?
Side note- Has anyone tried to remove the EX3 viewfinder from the camera, and have an electrician rewire it so you can take the viewfinder on and off.

I can fit my EX3 into a Loewe Pro Mini Trekker which is a medium size back pack that fits into an airline locker. The EX3 is a very snug fit and it requires some organization that will not suit those who like to have their camera instantly available. The reason for my persistence is the fact that I had a spare Mini Trekker. To make the camera shorter I replace the lens hood with a screw-in lens cap and remove the shoulder pad. I also remove the viewfinder shroud and position the finder as far forward as possible and remove the microphone holder. Once dismantled everything (except the shoulder pad), plus a couple small batteries and other small accessories can be packed in around the EX3. It is a good hiking set up.

Re finder removal: - I would like to remove the finder especially if it would work on an extension. I would also like to do the same for the lens handle. However it would no doubt void the warranty.

Joachim Hoge March 9th, 2009 07:15 AM

I use the KATA HB-207 with my EX-3. Itīs the smallest back pack that will fit the EX-3.
I can take it on a plane without problems.
Itīs actually a bit too small for the camera. I have to take off the viewfinder and keep the camera a little tilted inside the compartment.
Itīs not room for much extra though. What I manage to pack is:
The camera
extra battery
Charger
Wireless mics
Some tools
Remote zoom
15" Macbook Pro
Rain cover for the backpack.
Rain cover for the Camera I strap on the outside of the backpack

It really is a very good backpack. I recently used it when shooting for a week in the alps (Chamonix).
I skied, climbed and went on quite long Randonee trips with the the HB-207 and it really is very comfortable.

Iīll try to post a picture of my lay out

I had the Kata 502 for my Canon XL-H1 and it will fit the EX-3 perfectly with lots of extra room, but I only got it on a plane once and I had to take the camera out to be able to squeeze it in to the overhead compartment.
Mostly they wouldnīt let me on the plane with it.
And itīs very big if you are walking a lot with your gear.

John Peterson March 9th, 2009 08:30 AM

[QUOTE=Alastair Traill;1024715]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Apffel (Post 1024436)
I can fit my EX3 into a Loewe Pro Mini Trekker which is a medium size back pack that fits into an airline locker. The EX3 is a very snug fit and it requires some organization that will not suit those who like to have their camera instantly available. The reason for my persistence is the fact that I had a spare Mini Trekker. To make the camera shorter I replace the lens hood with a screw-in lens cap and remove the shoulder pad. I also remove the viewfinder shroud and position the finder as far forward as possible and remove the microphone holder. Once dismantled everything (except the shoulder pad), plus a couple small batteries and other small accessories can be packed in around the EX3. It is a good hiking set up.

That bag is only 5 inches deep on the inside. I still don't understand how it fits even removing all that stuff?

John

John Peterson March 9th, 2009 10:19 AM

The other thing is. Many on these forums keep searching for just the right size officially designated camera backpack for airline carry on luggage for $300 here and $400 there.

Has anyone thought of buying just the right size regular hiking type backpack and lining it with padding of some kind for a fraction of the cost?

John

Alastair Traill March 9th, 2009 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=John Peterson;1024795]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alastair Traill (Post 1024715)

That bag is only 5 inches deep on the inside. I still don't understand how it fits even removing all that stuff?

John

I did not think it would fit until I tried it - it is a very snug fit. It is definitely a minimum size pack. I mount the camera lens down and slightly tilted to one side.

Jon Braeley March 9th, 2009 09:47 PM

I have just spent six weeks travelling throughout India with my EX3, including the Himalayas for 2 weeks. I am now in Beijing, China.

I bought the kata backpacks (both) and sold them - one too small, one too big. I am using the cc-197 - it's a shoulder carry bag. The Ex-3, and all accessories fit perfectly with good padding even after very rough treatment (even used a mule to haul my bags up a mountain) - all works well. My mattebox fell enough and bent and of course the mic holder broke off - but thats all.

The kata 197 will fit into most plane overheads, with some small shoving. In six weeks I have taken 12 plane flights, 5 overnight trains, 2 boat rides and lots of strange road vehicles, but the 197 bag performed very well.

My only problem is my back is now bent out of shape due to a lower shoulder carrying the weight.

Duncan Craig March 10th, 2009 08:01 AM

I've now got three Kata bags and I can fit my EX1 in any of them depending on where I'm going. A CC-197, HB-207 and an old MC-61

On the face of it the 197 and 207 both look about the same sort of size, the 197 is just a little longer.

The 207 came with a reversible rain/sun cover in it's own pouch which sort of fits the other bags too. Also two drawstring pouches with velcro on the bottom, which I put my cards and little bits and bobs in. The pouches are brilliant, I love to find some more. My 207 also came with a free SLR strap and four strap adaptors to use with the backpack. Nice.

The 197 came with a stiffening bar and two padded divider 'blocks' which are almost useless, but luckily I bought a large Kata divider kit years ago with the MC-61 and had lots leftover to fit out the two new bags.

I've got a lot of flying to do later this year, but I'm still undecided which bag to go with.

Joachim Hoge March 10th, 2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan Craig (Post 1025407)

The 207 came with a reversible rain/sun cover in it's own pouch which sort of fits the other bags too. Also two drawstring pouches with velcro on the bottom, which I put my cards and little bits and bobs in. The pouches are brilliant, I love to find some more.

I found those velcro pouches to be absolutly brilliant as well. No more dropping small things when you open the backpack.