DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Help with EX3 Lense Repair (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/145421-help-ex3-lense-repair.html)

Will Sylvester March 9th, 2009 12:21 AM

Help with EX3 Lense Repair

Ok so I have a Sony EX3.
I was studying it and left it on a tripod for a moment to go and get something in my office. My dog for some reason went and got under it and knocked it over. I had the tripod lowered almost all the way down so it didnt fall too far...but any is far enough. I was terrified and though I generally dont leave the camera on the tripod if I am not directly using it...that lesson has been reinforced yet again with this most recent close call. I mean I left if for maybe 30 seconds. Anyway...
The camera seems basically alright but the stock lens hood has lost one of the plastic tabs that holds it on and the front of the lens has a broken metal tab. One of the three tabs which link with the lens hood.

My question is does anyone know of a good way to repair this.

It looks to me as if the metal tab that broke off is integrated into the entire lens structure and is not on a separate part that can be replaced...so it seems like I have to either fix it as is...or get a new lens which is out of the question.

Images attached.

Here is a link to the pics. Dont know how to embed them.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/album.php?albumid=75

And thanks in advance.

Juergen Hansen March 9th, 2009 02:25 AM

I would take super glu. I seems not to be a big deal to me.
So if technically everything is allright, don't worry too much.

Will Sylvester March 9th, 2009 07:46 AM

Yeah. I feel quite lucky actually.
The issue is that the the lens hood will not stay attached to the front of the lens now. It fits on and everything but the tabs that retain it are the tabs that broke off.
One of them is plastic. this is the one on the lens hood itself. The other is a piece of the lens itself and is apparently a pot type or casted metal.
What I want to be sure of is that whatever I use will be as strong as possible and will have the strength needed to do the job of holding the hood on again.
the problem I see is that if I use the wrong thing and it doesnt work I might have less of a chance to repair it as easily or as well the second time because the surfaces of the parts to be joined will no longer be fresh and clean.
You are right though...it isnt such a big deal...and it could have been so much worse.

William Griffin March 9th, 2009 09:01 AM

A few things that might help

I was on ebay.com the other day and I have the same problem as here in Texas it gets real sunny when summer comes, so I needed to mount my polarizer on the EX3 lens, but could not get the Sony lens hood back on...so I found this:

LENS HOOD SHADE AS HAMA PRO FOR Sony XDCAM EX - eBay (item 130288417840 end time Mar-19-09 07:42:54 PDT)

this hood is made by Hama and is a little of a lite weight but does fit to the EX3 lens. they
also make another one, if you search on ebay under "Sony EX3" it will be there. also take a look at this:

12 Pin Fujinon Zoom Adapter Cable for Sony EX1 or EX3 - eBay (item 220365265718 end time Mar-21-09 17:39:37 PDT)

As I have a Betacam lens and didn't want to buy a bebob control...this guy sells a adapter cable for your older rear zoom controller. I have a Nikon/Fuji controller and it works.

Hope this helps...

Bill Griffin
Dallas, Texas...USA

William Griffin March 10th, 2009 06:36 PM

Lens Cup...

The lens cup well it came today and it doesn't work well with the lens...so pass it up. on
a wide shot, you can see it on the edges....

Bill G
Dallas, Tx

Steve Benjamin March 11th, 2009 12:45 AM

repair

Super glue will repair the broken parts but it must be the one that is two parts ie the superglue and an activator. The superglue is put on first followed by the activator which makes a rock hard joint in seconds. I have used this product many times on many different materials and can thoroughly recommend it. Apply glue with a fine point brush (be sure not to use too much) on the loose piece then push it on to the lens and hold in position while you apply the activator, Dont use superglue on its own it will not be strong enough. Model supply shops stock the product as do many DIY stores.