Best method for converting EX1 footage for SD editing? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PMW-300, PXW-X200, PXW-X180 (back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 9th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monroe, NY
Posts: 686
Best method for converting EX1 footage for SD editing?

Want to use footage shot with EX1 at HQ 1080/60i with Sony VX2000 DV 4:3 camera for editing on a standard DV 720x480 timeline. Most of the footage was shot with the VX2000 on miniDV and the final output will be both full size DV tape and SD DVDs.

I don't have to use the footage shot with the EX1 for this job, but I would like to. Most of the foortage was shot with the VX2000.

How do I convert the footage ahead of time for best quality to import into editor [an older version of Sony Vegas (Vegas 4.0)]?

I have searched the forum and didn't find a similar situation or any consensus regarding conversion in general.

I know Clip Browser 2.0 will convert to avi, but seemed to produce bad results last time I tried it.

Do you have better recommendations?

Thanks,
John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 4,100
well, I do my down conversion in Virtualdub and it gives results about as good as can be had. The caveat is that the footage really needs to be in an .AVI container for Virtualdub to do it's job. So you'll need something to convert the mp4/mxf files straight from the camera into an .AVI container with a codec virtualdub can understand. I use "Super" to do this when required, but there may be other encoders that work also.

Once you get the file into Virtual dub, just use the resize filter and choose "Lanczos" for the method. Very clean.
__________________
DVX100, PMW-EX1, Canon 550D, FigRig, Dell Octocore, Avid MC4/5, MB Looks, RedCineX, Matrox MX02 mini, GTech RAID, Edirol R-4, Senn. G2 Evo, Countryman, Moles and Lowels.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monroe, NY
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
well, I do my down conversion in Virtualdub and it gives results about as good as can be had. The caveat is that the footage really needs to be in an .AVI container for Virtualdub to do it's job. So you'll need something to convert the mp4/mxf files straight from the camera into an .AVI container with a codec virtualdub can understand. I use "Super" to do this when required, but there may be other encoders that work also.

Once you get the file into Virtual dub, just use the resize filter and choose "Lanczos" for the method. Very clean.
Thanks for the response Perrone.

I like SUPER. Do you use the Default settings for that operation?

Secondly, when you say "straight from the camera", could you elaborate a little.

Thanks again.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posts: 3,782
I use EX video in SD timeline as is.
It allows you to reframe the image as needed.
It allows you to create fake camera motion by moving the image within the frame.
It does mean you'll have to render during editing but the creative freedom is worth it.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 4,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I use EX video in SD timeline as is.
It allows you to reframe the image as needed.
It allows you to create fake camera motion by moving the image within the frame.
It does mean you'll have to render during editing but the creative freedom is worth it.
That's all well and good, but will Vegas 4.0 drop an XDcamEX file onto the timeline in the first place?
__________________
DVX100, PMW-EX1, Canon 550D, FigRig, Dell Octocore, Avid MC4/5, MB Looks, RedCineX, Matrox MX02 mini, GTech RAID, Edirol R-4, Senn. G2 Evo, Countryman, Moles and Lowels.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monroe, NY
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
That's all well and good, but will Vegas 4.0 drop an XDcamEX file onto the timeline in the first place?
No it won't. Plan to upgrade to Vegas 9 when it comes out in a month or so despite the current good deal on Vegas Pro 8, but for now I need an alternative. But thanks Craig.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #7
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posts: 3,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
That's all well and good, but will Vegas 4.0 drop an XDcamEX file onto the timeline in the first place?
It's always worth upgrading the $600 NLE to keep up with the $7000 kit.
If it doesn't work directly one should cross convert (not downconvert to SD IMHO) into another HD codec.

Keep in mind that time is money and one should way the cost of the upgrade (might be reasonable) vs the amount of time needed to crossconvert (or even downconvert if that's your druther). If there's a lot to convert one could make "selects" first.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #8
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posts: 3,782
Will 4 handle MXF? There's a ClipBrowser option of MXF for NLE.
Episode Pro can crossconvert to other HD codecs ($900 though). Pro Coder might be able to do this too. ffmpeg might be able to do this too but it's a bit "geeky" for some. Can VirtualDub do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
No it won't. Plan to upgrade to Vegas 9 when it comes out in a month or so despite the current good deal on Vegas Pro 8, but for now I need an alternative. But thanks Craig.

John
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monroe, NY
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
It's always worth upgrading the $600 NLE to keep up with the $7000 kit.
If it doesn't work directly one should cross convert (not downconvert to SD IMHO) into another HD codec.

Keep in mind that time is money and one should way the cost of the upgrade (might be reasonable) vs the amount of time needed to crossconvert (or even downconvert if that's your druther). If there's a lot to convert one could make "selects" first.
Craig,

Thanks. Please read my post. I would be upgrading twice in two months if I did it now and as I stated in my OP, I have a lot of footage from the VX2000 to work with. Some of the EX1 footage has some good content so I may want to use it for this project. Project due in a month or so.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monroe, NY
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Will 4 handle MXF?
Can VirtualDub do this?
1. No

2. Don't know

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:41 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network